Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2021, 08:37 AM

4,417 posts, read 2,939,412 times

Advertisements

Let me first say that I love dogs. More than most humans. The problem with this is that I am gone from 7-5 during the week and it would be Home alone all day waiting on me. And then if I do something after work I’d be gone even longer. They just require so much attention. If I worked from Home a dog would be perfect. I also have an issue with shedding, chewing, and just making my house dirty.

Therefore I was thinking of getting a low maintenance cat. The problems with cats are scratching furniture and shedding hair also. I just fostered a cat and it has already scratched up a yoga pad and I fear it would do it to my leather recliner also.

Last edited by Berteau; 08-19-2021 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2021, 09:56 AM

19,801 posts, read 9,345,163 times
We have one cat and one dog. My advice/opinion is as follows:

Definitely do NOT get a dog. You will not give it the attention it NEEDS -- unless it is possibly an old dog who just wants to mostly sleep all day -- or you can afford doggie daycare or have someone can spend an hour or two each day with the dog while you're at work (but an hour or two is not enough for a young dog). And, btw, we have spent literally thousands of dollars on boarding fees when we have vacationed in the past -- something else to keep in mind.

Our cat is 18 years old and we have never had a problem with scratching furniture but there has been a definitely problem with it scratching and ruining carpet! And, yes, our cat sheds a LOT, but maybe there are cats that don't shed.

One thing that does concern me is that pets ARE a lot of trouble, but either you love them and put up with the inconvenience and expense, or it would be better that you don't get a cat or a dog.

Btw, I never TRULY realized how expensive older pets are! In the past four years, our dog (16 years old next month) has had one major surgeries and several smaller ones and our cat had major surgery -- and now we spend more on their medications than my husband does on his own! (We are both retired, but I am on no medications, knock wood!)

Old 08-19-2021, 10:25 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,304,488 times
OP - why do you want either? Are you lonely? My suggestion would be to get two bonded cats or two kittens so they can keep each other company. Even a cat will get bored and depressed being alone all day with your schedule.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
NEITHER!

You don’t have the time or tolerance for a bit of mess/fuss with either dog or cat. Nothing wrong with that, but it sounds like all you want is something to adore you when you’re available without having needs of its own.

Commit to being a dogwalker or other volunteer duty at the animal shelter instead. You’ll get plenty of doggie adoration without having to deal with it being in your home when you don’t feel like tending to it.

All around the US, people are dumping their dogs and cats at shelters or, worse yet, “out in the country” to “fend for themselves”. It is a secondary pandemic that resulted from emotionally (something) people taking in creatures that they were not prepared to care for after work or school or big socialization resumed.

Many of these dumpees were left because of “a little separation anxiety”. Gee, do you think the poor critters got used to the owners being home all the time and then without warning, NOT being around most of the day?!!?

Old 08-19-2021, 10:39 AM

4,417 posts, read 2,939,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikabike View Post
NEITHER!

You don’t have the time or tolerance for a bit of mess/fuss with either dog or cat. Nothing wrong with that, but it sounds like all you want is something to adore you when you’re available without having needs of its own.

Commit to being a dogwalker or other volunteer duty at the animal shelter instead. You’ll get plenty of doggie adoration without having to deal with it being in your home when you don’t feel like tending to it.

All around the US, people are dumping their dogs and cats at shelters or, worse yet, “out in the country” to “fend for themselves”. It is a secondary pandemic that resulted from emotionally (something) people taking in creatures that they were not prepared to care for after work or school or big socialization resumed.

Many of these dumpees were left because of “a little separation anxiety”. Gee, do you think the poor critters got used to the owners being home all the time and then without warning, NOT being around most of the day?!!?
I pretty much agree. I think being a dog walker or something would fit me.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:43 AM

3,179 posts, read 2,127,268 times
It’s possible to have a dog if you’re willing to adopt a pair of non shedding dogs like poodles, who are sedate and well over puppy chewing. They’d be good company for each other, get a dog door and secure fenced yard and you can work a long day and have drinks with coworkers afterward, problem solved.

Cats are much more independent, but shedding and scratching can be dealt with. Get a couple of fancy scratching posts and a short hair breed and put a throw on your leather recliner until you’re sure the cat likes the posts.

Pets aren’t that much work, but you have to invest in good food, vet care, grooming, boarding if you travel, time and attention. Yesterday, it cost $$$ for my old dog to have cancer surgery and my crazy puppy just learned to stand on his hind legs and grab everything off the bathroom counter for new and interesting toys. Just another day at my house, but if this bothers you, maybe a parakeet or tank of exotic tropical fish might be a better fit.

Old 08-19-2021, 10:53 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,694,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I pretty much agree. I think being a dog walker or something would fit me.
There ya go! A bit of exercise, many dogs to play with, and a good luck at behaviors of animals that were turned in.

Old 08-19-2021, 11:16 AM

37,594 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Let me first say that I love dogs. More than most humans. The problem with this is that I am gone from 7-5 during the week and it would be Home alone all day waiting on me. And then if I do something after work I’d be gone even longer. They just require so much attention. If I worked from Home a dog would be perfect. I also have an issue with shedding, chewing, and just making my house dirty.

Therefore I was thinking of getting a low maintenance cat. The problems with cats are scratching furniture and shedding hair also. I just fostered a cat and it has already scratched up a yoga pad and I fear it would do it to my leather recliner also.
Get a cat, keep it in something like a laundry room while you are gone. People will screech here but I would get it declawed (front). Will save your furnishings! (And no I am not getting into a debate about it - just providing my opinion.)

Old 08-19-2021, 12:08 PM

32,635 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Both dogs and cats shed. You are not going to escape pet hair or chewing, scratching, and dirt. Those are things that go along with having pets and people who have pets want the pet more than they want a pristine clean house.

A cat would be more suitable to your hours, although, you could adopt a senior dog who would sleep most of the day. There are ways to reduce clawing and chewing (or at least redirect them), and to reduce shedding but you can't eliminate them, you have to tolerate living with them.

Old 08-19-2021, 12:15 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,912 times
It sounds like a pet might not fit into your life. Go volunteer at a local rescue or shelter. Play with some cute little creatures that need extra attention, and then go home to your clean, quiet house. It's like being an uncle instead of having kids of your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets