Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 06:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,867,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
It was only a matter of time before the naysayers stepped up.

Kathryn, wasn’t one of your dogs also the cause of your elbow misfortune?
Yes.

No further diarrhea thank goodness, by the way.

I tripped over my big dog and broke my dominant arm elbow into about a gazillion pieces. When I got to the hospital, they told me that people tripping over pets is the leading cause of broken bones that they see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 06:59 AM

2,637 posts, read 1,173,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes.

No further diarrhea thank goodness, by the way.

I tripped over my big dog and broke my dominant arm elbow into about a gazillion pieces. When I got to the hospital, they told me that people tripping over pets is the leading cause of broken bones that they see.

I always thought that was because of the area rugs in the living rooms and sometimes the bedroom. The nick the edge of the darn thing with their toe slipper and down they go next thing you know broken hip or broken bone somewhere.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:23 PM

5,455 posts, read 3,382,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefret View Post
Oh good grief! Every dog I've ever had has had occasional diarrhea at some point without anything being wrong. And I'm sure most of us have been awakened in the middle of the night with the sound of impending vomit on the carpet.

I certainly wouldn't run to the vet unless a pattern developes.
No human or animal gets diarrhea without anything being wrong because if there was nothing wrong, the body would not be reacting with diarrhea.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:01 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,182,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
No human or animal gets diarrhea without anything being wrong because if there was nothing wrong, the body would not be reacting with diarrhea.
And do you run to your doctor every time you have diarrhea?

Old 08-04-2022, 02:47 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,444,730 times
Most pet owners get that sixth sense when their pet is suspect to an ailment.
My one dog got into a substance and in about one hour I noticed his demeanor go cowering. So not like him. From there, detective work and a call to.the vet. Couldn't stop the initial bodily revolting. Once I isolated him, followed the vets directions...and yes...nursed that pet back. I didn't carry the ' what a nuisance! What trouble this pet is!'. Though it was worrisome and time consuming.. I figure it's my obligation to tend to them. Gosh knows that dear ( now deceased) dog nursed me back after a terrible family loss..
So OP I respect your Initial reaction . It's unpleasant to attend to. It's a reality though that we domicile them, we also hold accountability to their world being put under our monitoring..

Old 08-05-2022, 09:26 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post

Dogs get diarrhea and they vomit for not much of anything and it certainly does not raise anywhere near the level of "emergency rush to the vet".

Use some judgement, if the diarrhea is bloody or has a "butcher shop" smell to it or a rotted flower smell, then it is vet time. But just regular diarrhea, you can save your money. The dog will be over it before you can get him in the car and drive him to the vet.

Dog digestive systems are really durable and their digestive system is also quick to dispose of anything their body doesn't like and they do it with ease.

So, a vet isn't usually necessary unless the symptoms persist or else it is accompanied by a fever.

But hey, you are very welcome to rush to the vet at every little hiccup and vets love having customers like you.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:31 AM

32,636 posts, read 47,986,069 times
I think I should come back and add this: blood in the vomit doesn't mean much. Dogs can vomit for very little reason and sometimes they will rupture a small blood vessel when they vomit. So some blood in the vomit is not emergency vet time unless the vomiting persists or there is a fever.

Blood in the stool, is something to be a little more concerned about.

Old 08-05-2022, 11:40 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OK so I have two big, old mutt dogs who sleep in my bedroom on dog beds. Last night I thought I heard one up and about but I didn't wake completely up. This morning, UGH! There was diarrhea in my bathroom as well as dog pee! Long story short, I can't just wash my rug, so I had to get down on my hands and knees and clean this stuff up. THEN I totally jammed my toe going out to put food in their bowls. It is hurting like heck. But the thing that really got me is this:

OK so early Sunday morning, my dogs killed a freaking ARMADILLO in my back yard. Thankfully, they didn't eat it but they sure killed it. Oh, and it also had diarrhea before it died, so that's two bouts of animal diarrhea in just a few days. So anyway, it was a Sunday morning and I could see this dead animal from my whole back of my house, plus, I couldn't really let my dogs go outside with this dead armadillo lying there. So I thought to myself, "I guess I will use a big broom and push it into a trash bag." Well. That thing was HUGE. It was also really ugly and had a long scaly tail and claws and an ugly face - plus they carry leprosy of all things. So I wasn't able to put it in a trash bag. I WAS able to scoop it up without touching it though and throw it in an outside trash can. Well, the trash didn't run till Tuesday morning. Believe me, that thing was smelling ripe by then. I felt so sorry for the trash men. Anyway, so they got it. HOWEVER, when I went down to the curb to get the trash can, I realized that not only was the TAIL STILL IN THE TRASH CAN, there were about a gazillion flies in there too - and body fluids!!!!! OMG. So I had to drag this STINKING TRASH CAN up to where the hose would reach it, and then I had to clean it out, using water, bleach, and Dawn. Of course I also got soaking wet, and God only knows what stuff got on me. So finally it was done, and I tipped the trash can over to let it dry and air out, and I came inside and washed myself from head to toe, and also threw my clothes in the washer. Thanks, dogs.

Oh, and I forgot to even mention this - while I was feeding these dogs this morning, I tripped over a rug and JAMMED THE HECK OUT OF MY TOE so that hurts and it's all black and blue.

Meanwhile, I have two kittens and all they do all day every day is jump around destroying everything of value in my house!

Please remind me again of why I love these crazy pets??????
I have no idea. I would never have pets again for all those reasons above and more. Life is too short and I have too many other things I want to do LOL!

Old 08-05-2022, 02:10 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
I agree. Yesterday, after my second cataract surgery, I was sitting on the chaise in my bedroom and my boy cat and my late sister's cat came and lay said-by-side on my lap to comfort me. They're the best!
Yes. One time I was crying and my pet Banty hen climbed up on my chest and drank my tears. Sat there comforting me.

I'd get another if I wasn't paralyzed by fear of tripping. Staying in a otherwise classy boutique hotel with 6 owner's dogs underfoot barking and watching you eat.I guess Germans like that, lol.

Old 08-05-2022, 03:36 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
I always thought that was because of the area rugs in the living rooms and sometimes the bedroom. The nick the edge of the darn thing with their toe slipper and down they go next thing you know broken hip or broken bone somewhere.
Area rugs? Obviously, an area rug can create its own hazard for someone who isn't paying attention. I can recall hearing about several folks who tripped over their own dogs while on an outdoor walk, fell, and broke an arm, wrist, or hip. The dog did something unexpected (stopped to sniff, squat, turned right in front of them). What was on the ground had nothing to do with anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets