Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2022, 02:26 PM

7,036 posts, read 4,919,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You "suspect" wrong. As usual. Never bought from any breeder and never would as long as there are dogs in shelters and rescues, but have been a dog owner.
My chosen breed is a Doberman and I would definitely buy one from a responsible breeder. I want to know what's behind my dog's breeding and how he's going to act under certain circumstances. For instance, when someone threatens me or when I need to bring him into a crowded public place, I want to know he'll protect me but won't react aggressively to people when he doesn't need to. I also grew up with a mixed breed dog that was scared to death of any loud noises: fireworks, gunshots, thunder, you name it. You can't believe how nice it is to have a dog that doesn't care about stuff like that and doesn't go crazy in thunderstorms.

But as for not having pets, please someone tell that to the little squirrel who came out and climbed all over me the other day. This one wants to adopt me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2022, 02:29 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,815,156 times
Quote:
Many rescues and shelters have access to volunteers who will help transport an adoptee across state lines. Google www.petfinder.com. You can search by breed, size, gender, age, and distance -- but that last item needn't be an impediment to adopting versus buying...
It's not really that easy. Most rescues won't do out-of-state adoptions (although plenty of mills masquerading as rescues will gladly do so), and air transport is far more problematic for both humans and animals than it was even a couple of years ago. Additionally, long-distance adoptions come with their own set of problems. Personally, I'd be reluctant to go this route because a period of fostering, even a short one, should precede an adoption to better ensure a good fit.

But you do you, as you're always saying. Hop on "petfinder" and give a needy dog a home.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:16 PM

30,409 posts, read 52,020,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I do notice that there is a group of people, very nice people, who sit down at the tables and mostly chitchat rather than walk around with the dogs (though they are careful to always pick up after their dogs). There are other people who do walk around and interact with their dogs, throw balls and frisbees, etc. To me, it's kind of weird to treat the dog park as a human social hour when it's most important that the dogs get out and move around; I've always believed that off-leash activity is important for dogs' minds and bodies.
What's wrong with humans socializing too? As Met pointed out, for some folks - sadly including me these days - that might be their ONLY regular form of social interaction (outside of work and the occasional meet-ups with family/friends). I live in an isolated area, about an hour from my nearest friend or family member, but have met some really nice people at the dog park. Our dogs don't need us "interacting" with them, when they have each other to play with. My 2yo husky in particular doesn't care for chasing balls/frisbees/sticks, or even for walking with me. He just loves to run and wrestle with his dog buddies! So while he's doing that for an hour+, I sit nearby and talk to the other humans. But we're still paying attention to the dogs, not just staring at phones or ignoring their needs/poops/etc. It's a fun and stimulating activity for dogs and their humans, if you do it right.

My other dog (Shepherd mix who's almost 17) was never into the dog parks, since he could be reactive with other pooches. So for him, a long nightly walk was his preferred activity until he got too old. You need to know your dog, and what they like. They're all different.

Old 08-30-2022, 05:41 PM

Here's Boris (the red husky) with his friends at the park... can't get this on a solo walk with mama! And I can’t let him off leash in unsecured areas, at least not yet, since he’s a recent rescue and a husky. He’d be GONE in a flash. I do keep a GPS collar on him, but obviously don’t want to need it. So I take him to the dog park on my days off, 2-3 days/week, and do solo stuff with him on the other days.

Last edited by gizmo980; 08-30-2022 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 06:33 PM

22,060 posts, read 13,071,876 times
That's great as long as the dogs CAN move around and interact in a dog park... Sounds healthy for both! But I've seen people "walking" their dogs who just "park" themselves on a bench and stare at their phones with the dog, alone, leashed, sitting next to them, being ignored and not even exercised or, conversely, pulled along at a steady pace, not allowed to stop to pee, poo, or sniff by someone - again - staring at a phone.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:10 PM

35,265 posts, read 17,141,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b29510 View Post
the issue with the rescue center in my area, and it has been for years, they are almost 100% pit bulls. I dont want an aggressive dog. Those beagles. none of them will come to my area but if you are rich and famous you can get the pick of the litter
Aren't beagles rather fierce?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Yeah, that's the elephant in the room. It's pits/pit mixes too in my area along with cattle dogs and huskies. These aren't appropriate breeds for many people/living situations, and insurances issues can complicate it further.

I heard that they're sending the beagles to Humane Societies all over the country. Maybe there's one close to you?
How much extra insurance is required for a pet beagle?

Old 08-30-2022, 07:42 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,815,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Some breeds aren't covered by most insurance policies. As in rental property insurance, mostly. If my renter has a prohibited breed, I'm not covered in case something happens. That's why you see "no such and such breeds" on rental listings.

Beagles aren't among those breeds, though.

Gotta take the dog for a walk. I'd better be sure not to sit down and rest on a park bench, and if I do, god forbid I check my phone or read my Kindle for 10 minutes in case someone's keeping track of my movements. How silly. Unless you're literally following people around, you have no way of knowing where they went or where they're going. Park benches can be a nice respite from a long walk. It's the ones in the dog park with their faces in their phones that get to me because the dog park is their destination rather than just a brief stop along the way. Spent a little time on park benches myself when I was trying to get my health back after COVID.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 08-30-2022 at 08:28 PM..

Old 08-30-2022, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post

Umm, what? Beagles are usually very nice and docile dogs, great with kids and so forth... they just have a loud mouth (it's in their nature to "bay" at any perceived prey or threat) and a bit of a stubborn nose-driven nature. But fierce? Not ever in my experiences.

As for extra insurance, it's only required on certain breeds considered "dangerous" - e.g. PitBull, AmStaff, Cane Corso, maybe German Shepherds and Rotties, etc. And only on certain policies. My homeowner's insurance doesn't have that stipulation, at least not for the dogs I own (Shepherd mix and Husky).

Old 08-30-2022, 07:49 PM

37,177 posts, read 41,370,467 times
Folks, JBG has a continuing joke about vicious dogs.

Old 08-30-2022, 07:49 PM

Quote:
That's great as long as the dogs CAN move around and interact in a dog park... Sounds healthy for both! But I've seen people "walking" their dogs who just "park" themselves on a bench and stare at their phones with the dog, alone, leashed, sitting next to them, being ignored and not even exercised or, conversely, pulled along at a steady pace, not allowed to stop to pee, poo, or sniff by someone - again - staring at a phone.
Well, if that's ALL they're doing I guess it's a problem. But you never know how long they've already been walking, or what their physical condition might be... so I'd be hesitant to judge a stranger like that. I'm currently recovering from a serious knee injury (torn MCL), for example, so I can only walk for short periods of time before stopping to rest and stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets