Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2024, 10:45 AM

15,461 posts, read 7,516,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
They 100% should and I wish they did. Just like I wish cat owners would keep their cats inside where they don’t become Kitty Pancakes while crossing the street.
Our dogs are very good at keeping cats out of our yard. The dogs we had in the 90's were even better, since they would play tug of war with a cat if one got into the yard

Old 01-08-2024, 11:07 AM

5,656 posts, read 3,165,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
They didn't actually say anything on the subject. And I wasn't aiming my comments at one forum member. Leashing the dogs in public applies to 100% of the dogs, 100% of the time. Irrespective of whether or not their dogs "have ever bothered anyone".

For the record, I absolutely adore (most) dogs and willingly say hi to any dog that passes me by and wants to interact. But not when that dog is off-leash, no matter the breed.
Actually, he did. "Best compliment: Older guy, new to the neighborhood was chatting up a group of small dog owners on the corner (they hung out every morning for 15-20 mins). He made a comment about the "loose Doberman" the group laughed and repeated my dog's name and said no leash/no shock collar and that dog will not leave the property without a command.

You quoted the guy, so it seemed like you WERE aiming your comment at him.

Old 01-08-2024, 11:31 AM

19,801 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Always contact the police or animal control if you get bitten. The owners may have to keep their dog locked up on their property for some time as a quarantine measure. I would also be tempted to tell the owners that you will want the dog tested for rabies, which requires cutting off the head of the offending creature. That especially applies to dogs that are not current on their rabies shots.

I love the image of the dog sailing off the end of your leg for a long distance aerial ride.

My Dad got bitten by a small off leash dog years ago and the owner was shocked when my Dad told him that it it happened again, the dog would die, either by stomping or with the pocket knife he always carried.
My male GSP nipped a teen boy on the bottom of his butt cheek years ago. The boy was chasing my dog on my property and as he got near to my house my dog turned and went after him. His mom came down with her son, we chatted and I took them inside and showed them my dogs vet/shot records, cleaned his 'wound' which was a superficial scratch and lesson learned.

My wife and I walk around the roads where I live- 4 miles up and down North mountain. Heavily wooded and kitty kat country so I carry a .357mag. I've had to unholster it once when a pair of Dobermans came hauling down some guys driveway and onto the dirt road we were on. Owner recalled them while I was yelling and had the pistol trained on them. Again- lesson learned. That did not happen again.

Old 01-08-2024, 08:03 PM

5,681 posts, read 5,167,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snazzyb View Post
actually, he did. "best compliment: Older guy, new to the neighborhood was chatting up a group of small dog owners on the corner (they hung out every morning for 15-20 mins). He made a comment about the "loose doberman" the group laughed and repeated my dog's name and said no leash/no shock collar and that dog will not leave the property without a command.

you quoted the guy, so it seemed like you were aiming your comment at him.
ok.

Old 01-10-2024, 01:14 PM

51,655 posts, read 25,857,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
It all depends on what kind of dog you have. Normally my wife and I take our dog to the plaza on a leash, but we let her go when we got to the place. Of course... Our dog is a poodle and we know very well that she does not hurt anyone, nor is she a threat. It would be different if our dog was a Pittsburgh.
Why do you let your poodle run loose when you get to the plaza?

Old 01-11-2024, 04:56 PM

30,364 posts, read 51,976,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
They can't herd cattle on a leash.
Key word from OP's post: NEIGHBORHOOD.

I'm guessing that the folks using dogs for herding, hunting, etc, don't live in suburban neighborhoods. Clearly that's what they're referring to here.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Antonio View Post
It all depends on what kind of dog you have. Normally my wife and I take our dog to the plaza on a leash, but we let her go when we got to the place. Of course... Our dog is a poodle and we know very well that she does not hurt anyone, nor is she a threat. It would be different if our dog was a Pittsburgh.
A Pittsburgh? lol

And no, it does NOT matter what breed of dog you have... leash laws (depending on where you live) exist for a reason, and you're not special just because you have a poodle. Does your precious pooch have perfect recall, and stay right by your side? How do you handle things if she approaches a reactive dog, or a person who's afraid? My old dog was reactive, but had no trouble minding his business if the other dogs nearby minded theirs; but if your poodle ran up to him, unleashed, he would have something to say about it. Then I'M the a-hole, even though I'm the one following the laws and controlling my dog.

I bet you're also the type to yell "She's friendly!" as your out of control dog is running loose and bothering people. When people said that to me, I'd always yell back "Mine is not! So call your dog back or I'm sending it to you." Leash your dog, please.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But prohibition doesn't work. Does it? Not for anything.
If people actually follow the laws? Yeah, it works just fine.

Of course you can't enforce 100% of the laws 100% of the time with 100% of the people; but the point is to have something enforceable, so those who don't follow them can face consequences when things go wrong. Also, most people actually don't want to be lawbreakers. So if it keeps 80% of dog owners in check, that's better than 0.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
A friend who lives on a ranch in South Texas shoots any dogs he doesn't know. His own dogs are not leashed, buit do not go very far and have excellent recall.
Reason #222 not to live in Texas.

Of course I don't let my dogs free roam, but escapes happen (especially now that I have huskies). And unless the dog is posing an obvious threat to you, why would you just SHOOT them? I bet that "friend" would also not hesitate to shoot a person before even assessing the situation.

Old 01-11-2024, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Not that I'm condoning the dogs' behavior, but that's another good reason to keep cats indoors.
On their own - and rural/farm - property? Nah. The dog and horse people shouldn't be allowing their dogs to wander onto other people's properties. They have the right to let THEIR cats roam THEIR properties, especially if they're working barn cats. You are condoning the behavior, whether you realize it or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets