Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 01:09 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times

Advertisements

I don't know if we have fleas if not there is some kind of little bugs that keep appearing in the house lately. Mostly in the kitchen it seems. They do jump.
I don't know what they are but it's driving me completely nuts and I can't deal with this. I don't know if they get on you or not but last night I was downstairs and then went upstairs later and noticed one in my bathroom so I dont know if it was on me and got in my bathroom that way or what. We do have 3 cats and one dog- the dog is the only one who goes outdoors and none of them have fleas. So I don't know if they are fleas or something else. How could they get in if none of the animals have them?
The pest control guy seems useless if you ask me- I noticed these things for the first time last year around this time we told him he said he would look at it and he sprayed the window sill in the kitchen which is where they seem to run to or come from originally he said they looked like fleas then he said he thought they might be australian ants. They keep coming back whatever they are. They seemed to have disappeared during the winter time when it finally got cool here now it's hot once again and I am seeing them again.
I don't know what to do. This is completely driving me insane and freaking me out HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:58 PM

10,090 posts, read 42,424,010 times
Google fleas and a pic comes up....fleas are super tiny and yes, they jump. Usually, if one is in the house, I'm the first to be bit. To get rid of them you have to treat everything at once...and a few weeks later again, since the eggs left behind could hatch. Is your dog on some kind of flea preventative...most flea med. work so that the fleas are unable to breed and turn the females sterile. You'll have to figure out what you have before they can be treated.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:23 AM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
Fleas are good jumpers, but the best way to tell if you have an infestation is to look for flea poop. You'll see it on the dog and cat bedding, looks someone sprinkled pepper. Fleas can get out of control in hot climates like AZ and CA. Of all the flea products, I think that Advantage is the safest and it can get the fleas under control before things get nuts. I've walked into carpeted rooms before and had them jump all over my legs in a feeding frenzy.

Old 05-18-2009, 03:34 PM

2,546 posts, read 6,875,896 times
Thanks to both of you.
I trapped one today in a container and the pest guy comes next week.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:49 PM

399 posts, read 2,253,833 times
You may want to take it to your vet. Different areas have fleas that are more sensitive to certain products. Here in Savannah, we have fleas that are now resistant to Advantage and Frontline. Do you just have dogs? While I can still use AdvantiX, some of my clients can't. Please go in and talk honestly to the vet techs or receptionists. They all usually have pets. Some vets can just prescribe what they carry and only recommend that. Maybe even talk to groomers, as they see pets more often than vets!!

Old 05-18-2009, 08:41 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,833,209 times
Probably fleas. Contact the bug guy or buy the carpet flea-killer stuff at the store. It would be a good idea to get the dog on flea stuff. I think Frontline, Advantage, and Comfortis all average like $20-$30 a month per animal, but it's worth it to keep fleas at bay.

And if you have fleas, they will bite you, and it itches. They will also get into anything they can. Don't sit on the carpet and eat your food. A flea may jump in your plate.

Old 06-28-2009, 10:36 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
I gave my cat his Advantage treatment a week ago. Last night on the bed, I picked off abut 20 live fleas from the blanket. I put them in a bowl with soapy water to kill them. In March, I treated the living room rug with Sevin5 dust, and I haven't seen a flea in there since. Last month, I treated the bedroom rug with Borax, and I wonder if there's a difference. Later this week, I'm going to do the bedroom rug with Sevin5 dust, and hope that it works.

Does anyone think that I got a bad batch of Advantage? I think it's supposed to kill something like 98% of the fleas, or am I wrong? I have a piece of flea collar in the vacuum bag, and also vacuum up some Sevin5 dust in it.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:12 AM

3,091 posts, read 3,967,872 times
We had our Angel on Frontline since we got her. Yet we still had fleas. I worked and worked very hard to get rid of them with some success, but not with complete elimination. Then we switched to K-9 Advantix and immediately the fleas went away, completely, with no return at all. My daughter uses Frontline with great success on her two dogs. I just wonder if the chemical make up of each individual dog makes one product successful over another.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:29 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolac View Post
We had our Angel on Frontline since we got her. Yet we still had fleas. I worked and worked very hard to get rid of them with some success, but not with complete elimination. Then we switched to K-9 Advantix and immediately the fleas went away, completely, with no return at all. My daughter uses Frontline with great success on her two dogs. I just wonder if the chemical make up of each individual dog makes one product successful over another.
Last season, I realized that the K-9 Advantix was the only thing my fleas aren't resistant to.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:01 AM

5,245 posts, read 16,431,350 times
The fleas are becoming resistant to Frontline and Advantage in some areas. They build up an immunity over time. I'm going through that right now. We used Advantage when we moved to TN but the fleas shrugged it off like it was water. The vet switched us to Frontline and it worked for the most part, but I noticed last night (they were treated about 9 days ago) that I had fleas in the bed. Kept me up most of the night. So it looks like they're resistant to that now too. Guess I'll need to switch to Advantix too. Grr!!! I like Frontline because I can buy it in bulk in the largest doses and break it down, which saves me a fortune with 26 dogs in the house and potentially 2 or 3 more dogs coming in next week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets