Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 06:32 PM

3 posts, read 5,142 times

Advertisements

So, my now-husband and I will be relocating to Philly in December mainly because its the only city in which we both got good job offers.

We're looking to rent for less than $9000/month. I know you're gonna suggest we buy, but we have MAJOR student loan debt and essentially zero savings. Eventually we're gonna buy.

We're both 32. We're true blue city people, He's from Chicago and I'm from NYC. Ideally we're looking for somewhere energetic, young and hip. We love art, music and public parks.

A couple issues: We're both Black and don't want to be the only brown people in the neighborhood. From what I've heard Philly is a pretty segregated city.

He's gonna be working @ Lincoln Financial Field and part time at Temple Hospital. He's also going to be traveling occasionally to Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. I'm working completely at UPenn's hospital.

A neighborhood with a short commute to all of those places (not so much Lehigh) that fits our personality is what we're looking for. I know its a lot to ask.

Any ideas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 08:24 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NahlaPerez View Post
We're looking to rent for less than $9000/month.
I assume you mean $900/month instead of $9000?

Assuming you only need a 1B, I'd suggest University City. It's convenient to all three city locations, especially to HUP (Penn). The neighborhoods of UC house and attract a broad spectrum of people. Thirtysomething professionals would probably want to stay west of 43rd to avoid Penn students. You may particularly like the condos and apartments around Spruce and Pine between 47th and 48th Streets. Being city people, you'll probably be prepared for the somewhat transitional neighborhoods west of 48th.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:43 AM

177 posts, read 530,541 times
Queen Village and Bella Vista are both great neighborhoods. I live in Queen Village and pay $750 a month for a 1br apartment. I feel much safer there than University City, as there is no abrupt transition to some bad neighborhoods.

Old 07-09-2010, 09:39 AM

7 posts, read 43,412 times
Philly is not very segregated! Maybe the suburbs are, but not anywhere in the city! The problem is that even in certain neighborhoods, good areas and bad areas can be the difference of just walking from one black to the next. I suggest you look on Craigslist and find what's affordable and looks good and then ask on here if that's a good neighborhood for what you're looking for. I can highly suggest not bothering with North Philly though. (northeast and northwest are ok)

Old 07-09-2010, 12:27 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,526,738 times
Northern Liberties - artsy, liberal, diverse, young, hip, perfect!

Old 07-09-2010, 01:18 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,526 times
Quote:
A couple issues: We're both Black and don't want to be the only brown people in the neighborhood. From what I've heard Philly is a pretty segregated city.
You do realize now that this is silly, uninformed and insulting for several reasons, right?

You've gotten good advice so far although I would suggest expanding your search a bit as you'll most likely be taking the subway or trolley to your places of employment

Check out West Philly in the area between Market St. and Springfield Ave. out to about 50th St.

Also, South Philly between 10th & 17th between Washington and Snyder.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:57 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I assume you mean $900/month instead of $9000?
Damn, if she did mean 9k she really should be considering buying instead! Hah.

Old 07-10-2010, 10:58 AM

Yeah, we meant 9k. I guess thats a bit out of range for Philly (like I'm said, I'm from NYC). The income is there for us to buy but we have major debt (like six figures) we want to pay down first. Would this mean all of the city was available to us?

I didn't meant to insult Philly, I was just basing my statement on what friends from Philly have told me.

And...If we were looking for $900, I'd doubt we'd have to worry about being the only brown people on the block.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:21 AM

So, I did some searching and Philly doesn't really have much close to our budget. Didn't realize the cost of living would be so much lower.

I found something interesting in "Rittenhouse" in Center City, but in my head Center City Philly =Midtown NYC. Loud and tourist infested.

I really need to visit Philly soon, this is too confusing long distance.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:58 AM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,183 times
Quote:
So, I did some searching and Philly doesn't really have much close to our budget. Didn't realize the cost of living would be so much lower.

I found something interesting in "Rittenhouse" in Center City, but in my head Center City Philly =Midtown NYC. Loud and tourist infested.

I really need to visit Philly soon, this is too confusing long distance.
Rittenhouse also includes the more quiet, residential areas west of 21st street. That sounds like a great location for you. This area is also sometimes called Fitler Square. Very convenient to University City and a short walk to Rittenhouse square and all the Center City attractions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia