Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 07:03 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,959,200 times

Advertisements

So my sister who is 21 is moving to Philadelphia for a job. She found a really great 1 bedroom apartment in a row house on Christian Street between S 24th St and Grays Ferry Ave and she is thinking of possibly renting it. I was there helping her look for apartments, and it seemed fine during the day, but I'm not really sure how it is at night. Is that a safe neighborhood?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:35 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,721,264 times
I just moved from Point breeze(23rd and Tasker). Its okay by christian. It's the gentrifying edge at the moment, but I wouldn't suggest hanging out south of Washigton ave. on a regular basis.

Old 09-30-2010, 12:14 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,193 times
I grew up in Grays Ferry. That area (24th & Christian) has seen incredible gentrification in the last 10 years. Prices have soared but a 21 year old girl living alone at 24th & Christian will not fall under the moniker "safe". It still has a ways to go in terms of being a yuppie, friendly area. The element that has been there the longest can prey on people like your sister. She should seriously consider a roomate. Also note that their are very few "corner" conveniences in that area. She would have to walk or bike to the nearest shopping market. Parking is often a bad situation and break ins are not uncommon. She should move "more east" and get a roomate.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:19 PM

219 posts, read 674,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraysFerryB4 View Post
I grew up in Grays Ferry. That area (24th & Christian) has seen incredible gentrification in the last 10 years. Prices have soared but a 21 year old girl living alone at 24th & Christian will not fall under the moniker "safe". It still has a ways to go in terms of being a yuppie, friendly area. The element that has been there the longest can prey on people like your sister. She should seriously consider a roomate. Also note that their are very few "corner" conveniences in that area. She would have to walk or bike to the nearest shopping market. Parking is often a bad situation and break ins are not uncommon. She should move "more east" and get a roomate.
I grew up in Grays Ferry too. Everyone who grew up in Grays Ferry did not think of 24th and Catherine as Grays Ferry- just as a corner of Center City. I still live in Grays Ferry proper, in fact, but I tutor schoolkids at Mighty Writers at 15th and Christian and often walk home all the way to 28th and Moore at 9 PM. I've been walking down Christian for years and nobody has bothered me; and take it from me, a white Penn graduate, I wish I could live at 24th and Catherine. I don't know what GFB4 is talking about as far as a lack of corner conveniences- heres a few within 4 blocks-
If you want to go out to drink at a trendy but affordable bar, try Resurrection Ale House on Grays Ferry Ave across from the Naval Homes, Grace Tavern further up on Grays Ferry just off of South, or the Sidecar Cafe at 22nd and Christian. Both of these places are highly rated for food and atmosphere and you can become a regular pretty fast. As far as an upscale food store, try Whisk and Spoon on Catherine, on the other side of Grays Ferry, and for casual dining, try the Ants Pants Cafe on South or Balkan Express, right next to Grace Tavern.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:21 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,530,843 times
i'm gonna say 50/50

Old 10-07-2010, 12:15 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,193 times
PennKid, I probably know you but I'm talking about "lively" corner places like markets, mom n pop stores, etc. Not just bars and cafes. True, there are several in the area, but the "area" is like 10 square blocks. If you are talking the safety of a single 21 year old girl, living alone at 24th & Christian, I would not call that 100% safe. I'd call that a target; especially if you are from out of the area. Walking to any of those places at night is a "risk" to some degree. Do I wish I lived at 24th n catherine?...hell yeah! Especially when WE know that those houses probably went for $40K 12 years ago but safety is a relative term. We just have the street smarts from where we grew up.
We may just suffer from different definitions of "safe". To me, Packer Park, Pennsport proper, East Passyunk Crossing, "St. Richards"...all count as safe; even very safe. On the flip side, Newbold, Whitman, Point Breeze, the "5th street corridor', even small parts of QV and Bella Vista...not so safe. Just my opinion.

PS: You do know the OP is asking about 24th & Christian...not Catherine?

Last edited by GraysFerryB4; 10-07-2010 at 12:36 PM.. Reason: syntax
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia