Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:01 PM

67 posts, read 294,756 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Philadelphia this summer to attend UPENN...... from Texas. I am beginning my apartment search and am researching areas to the best of my ability. I visited Philadelphia a couple of months ago, but of course, could not map out the entire city. I stayed in CC while I was in Philadelphia and I LOVED it. However, it is very different than Dallas, TX.

I am a single female, so safety is my primary concern. I will NOT be arriving with a vehicle. So, I also need to be able to get essentials via public transportation or by walking.

How safe is this address: Girard Ave at 28th? Is says it is in Brewerytown and I know nothing of this place.

Thank you for any advice/input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 05:06 AM

584 posts, read 1,424,814 times
I would not recommend. Brewerytown has improved but, IMO, still has a long way to go and is located around some pretty rough areas. For a single female, I'd be concerned about safety. You'd be better off living in University City (right by UPENN) or in the heart of Center City if your budget allows.

Alternatively areas like Mt Airy (East or West), East Falls, Manayunk would be a little further out - but accessible to UPENN via the Regional Rail system.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:07 AM

28 posts, read 64,360 times
Yeah, forget Brewerytown. As a UPenn student and non-vechicle owner who liked the feel of Center City, I would suggest you look at the following neigborhoods:
-- University City (obviously)
-- Fitler Square
-- Logan Circle
-- Fairmount
-- Spring Garden neighborhood
-- Graduate Hospital (North of Washington Ave)
-- Rittenhouse Sq.
-- Bella Vista

You can google these areas to find exact street locations and more info. about the scenes and neighborhood feels. As a new-to-Philly resident, I would stick to the city proper rather than go out to East Falls, Mt. Airy, Germantown.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 AM

Thanks for the input. I will scratch that from my list of possibilities. My next question was about Fairmount area..... so thanks for answering that question as well!

Old 11-17-2010, 08:56 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
to the list I'd add northern liberties and fishtown as well as old city and south philly.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 AM

I visited old city when I was in philly and I loved it. However, I was there during the day when there were lots of people out and about. I wasn't sure about the safety at night. Not that I would be out in the middle of the night. But I will probably have clinical rotations that will keep me out after dark. So, I will look in that area as well.

I have read so many varying opinions about fishtown and as far as I know I did not visit that area when I was there. I'm not really sure because I am not familiar with all of the boundaries and it is so confusing at times!!!!! Some people seem to strongly dislike fishtown!

Old 11-17-2010, 12:02 PM

28 posts, read 64,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbug35 View Post
I visited old city when I was in philly and I loved it. However, I was there during the day when there were lots of people out and about. I wasn't sure about the safety at night. Not that I would be out in the middle of the night. But I will probably have clinical rotations that will keep me out after dark. So, I will look in that area as well.

I have read so many varying opinions about fishtown and as far as I know I did not visit that area when I was there. I'm not really sure because I am not familiar with all of the boundaries and it is so confusing at times!!!!! Some people seem to strongly dislike fishtown!
Yeah, forget Fishtown too. NL and Old City are possiblities, but I was trying to keep to neighborhoods that were West of Broad to put you a little closer to UPenn. If you're open to a longer commute, I'd also add Washington Sq. and Queen Village. I wouldn't look further south than Washington Ave. and further north than Poplar St. if I was you.

If you provide some lifestyle preferences, I'm sure we can help you narrow your search further, as most of these neighborhoods have decidedly different vibes.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldbug35 View Post

old city at night is fine. not sure what the hate for fishtown is all about, certainly less crime than brewerytown!

Old 11-17-2010, 01:57 PM

Thank you very much for the guidance. I am an older grad student and very serious about studying. I do not go to bars/clubs....ever. I love live theater, museums, opera, ballet, etc. I probably will not work while attending grad school, but if I do it will most likely be in a hospital. I loved CC and the abundance of shopping, restaurants and I would love to live right downtown. However, I realize that my limited budget will most likely prohibit this. I can spend 900.00-950.00 month at the most. Since I will be living on savings, definitely prefer to spend less. I will not be bringing a car so I would like to have at least a convenience store within walking distance. I really prefer to be able to walk for grocery shopping, but at the very least I need an easy commute via public transportation for serious grocery shopping.

I know University City will be the closest to Penn, but I did'nt get to spend much time walking around there so I don't know the area. I don't know how far away I can go and in what direction and still be in a relatively safe environment. I really do like to live around alot of activity as far as shopping, etc. I just don't want to live around young kids who are loud and partying all of the time. Any help you can give will be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2010, 10:04 PM

you should be able to find something downtown in your budget. there are a lot of students downtown. the place might noy be as nice as btown but the neighborhood will be better. you can see if you like it when you get here but downtown is the safer bet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia