Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 05:42 PM

5 posts, read 14,102 times

Advertisements

Hi! My boyfriend and I are planning to move out there for school, and we are looking for a good area to live in that's somewhat reasonable. The school we are going to is in Central City, so we were looking for maybe a suburb to live in. We have pets, so preferably looking for maybe a small house in a nice, relatively safe neighborhood.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2011, 07:06 PM

429 posts, read 719,755 times
Default We have questions of YOU first

Fill in the sticky: Questions for future residents, so we can help you.

Old 02-02-2011, 08:32 PM

When are you moving? This summer.
Where are you coming from? Youngstown, Ohio
Why are you moving? School, life, opportunities.
Where will you be working? At a drug store
Have you been here yet? Not yet. Going for a weekend in March to check out school.

Will you buy or rent?
Preferably rent or a rent-to-own type of deal.
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Hmmm, a small house for now. $1,000/mo.
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I s'pose a townhouse.
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Doesn't matter.

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Not married. No children.
Do you prefer public or private schools? Public.
Do you have pets? Yes.
Do you want or need a yard? Need.
Are you keeping a car? Yes.
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Doesn't really matter. Mostly quiet, but bustling activity is okay, too.

What do you want to be closest to?
Work and/or school.
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
Doesn't matter. Diverse is always fun.

Coke or Pepsi?
Pepsi all the waaaaaaaay!!!!!

Old 02-02-2011, 09:14 PM

We are even maybe looking into moving to Jersey and commuting from there if anyone has any info on that, too.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:23 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishangell388 View Post
We are even maybe looking into moving to Jersey and commuting from there if anyone has any info on that, too.
Thats what I would recommend but may be too far if you are going to school in Center city for you. Its about a 30 minute from where we are in Jersey. Jersey is very quiet too. You can actually sleep at night in the summer with your window open and hear the crickets all night Something we could not do in the city. For nice condos take a look at Willow shores in Palmyra. Close to the riverline and the tacony-palmyra bridge. You manna check this website. Its good to find out where to live.. www.hotpads.com

http://www.kormanwillowshores.com/pa...apartments.asp

Old 02-03-2011, 08:38 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
We seem to be recomending this area a lot lately but it seems tailor made for you. Google 19114. Read the thread here called "Safest neighbors in Philadelphia" although it got off track a little with personal squables. This area is called far northeast Philadelphia and includes the neighborhoods of Morrell Park and Toresdale. Not only is it a safe and pleasent place to live but it is very convenient to "it's called Center City" by freeway or public transportation. Housing is a little less expensive then it would be across the city line in a suburban town and includes apartments and row houses dating from the '60's and '70's for the most part. Plug that zip into www.realtor.com using the "rent" option. Phiily apartment complexes are not particularly dog friendly so you will probably end up in a private house. Most of these row houses have driveways, garages and small lawns. There is a wealth of shopping centers all over this area and many can be reached by bus.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Thats what I would recommend but may be too far if you are going to school in Center city for you. Its about a 30 minute from where we are in Jersey. Jersey is very quiet too. You can actually sleep at night in the summer with your window open and hear the crickets all night Something we could not do in the city. For nice condos take a look at Willow shores in Palmyra. Close to the riverline and the tacony-palmyra bridge. You manna check this website. Its good to find out where to live.. www.hotpads.com

Willow Shores Palmyra Apartments - Apartments in Palmyra, NJ

Thank you so much! My boyfriend and I have been looking at this site all morning for potential places to live. The drive doesn't really bother us. I'm used to driving 20-30 minutes to get to school or work.

Old 02-03-2011, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
We seem to be recomending this area a lot lately but it seems tailor made for you. Google 19114. Read the thread here called "Safest neighbors in Philadelphia" although it got off track a little with personal squables. This area is called far northeast Philadelphia and includes the neighborhoods of Morrell Park and Toresdale. Not only is it a safe and pleasent place to live but it is very convenient to "it's called Center City" by freeway or public transportation. Housing is a little less expensive then it would be across the city line in a suburban town and includes apartments and row houses dating from the '60's and '70's for the most part. Plug that zip into www.realtor.com using the "rent" option. Phiily apartment complexes are not particularly dog friendly so you will probably end up in a private house. Most of these row houses have driveways, garages and small lawns. There is a wealth of shopping centers all over this area and many can be reached by bus.
Thank you! We are looking into it now. Yeah, I was reading that and, like you said, it got way off topic and I stopped reading.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,219,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishangell388 View Post
Hi! My boyfriend and I are planning to move out there for school, and we are looking for a good area to live in that's somewhat reasonable. The school we are going to is in Central City, so we were looking for maybe a suburb to live in. We have pets, so preferably looking for maybe a small house in a nice, relatively safe neighborhood.

Does anyone have any suggestions? It would be greatly appreciated.
If you are going to school in Center City Id recommend trying to find a place in Center City.Its by far the most vibrant part of the region. Its an expensive place to live but if you do your homework you can find a nice pad for $1000per month(small though).

If you have your heart set on the suburbs. Here are a couple more on the Pa. side. Media,Swarthmore,King of Prussia. Chestnut Hil and West Mount Airyl are terrific neighborhoods in NW Philadelphia.

Craigslist has a good real estate feature. Type in your max rent and neighborhhod(Center City Chestnut Hill etc etc)

Good luck.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:48 AM

1,213 posts, read 956,449 times
Check out South Philly as well. As part of the city proper, it will be a breeze for you to commute into and out of Center City, and you should be able to find a rowhome within your budget.

FYI, any commute that is listed online as 30 minutes, assume with traffic, accidents, construction, etc... that it will in reality be an hour or more. For instance, while the suggestion of the Far Northeast seems to fit your bill from a housing point of view, if you made that drive into Center City on a daily basis for school, you'd go insane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia