Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-10-2008, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 7,109 times

Advertisements

I might be transferring to drexel (if i get in) and my g/f is trying to get into jefferson.

Where would be a good place to look for an appartment in between there ? Im not that familiar with philly, I do go in about twice a month with friends to south street, etc.

What would be a good area/section of the city between the two (Drexel / Jefferson) to look for an apartment ? We need a 2 bedroom aprtment. I heard Uni. City is good, but that seems so close to drexel and like 20 blocks from Jefferson.

Anyone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 04:16 PM

40 posts, read 229,320 times
Drexel is in University City, so that would be perfect for you. For her, it would probably be a 25 min. walk. I have an office at Jeff and one right beside Drexel, so that is how I know. I do the walk b/c that is the only physical activity I can fit into my busy life right now! She could also take the Market/Frankford El line on the SEPTA. I personally don't like taking the El, but all of my co-workers do. I am from a small town in NC, though, so I tend to be a scardy-cat! She could also take a SEPTA bus. I will ride the bus sometimes from 17th and Walnut to 34th Street. I see tons of UPenn students and Drexel students riding the bus to get to class. So, you could live in Center City. She could walk to school and you could take the bus.

Old 12-10-2008, 04:40 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,078 times
Jeff is around 11th & Walnut. Drexel is around 34th & Walnut.

Try some place in the 20s and it sounds like you guys will be golden.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:23 PM

101 posts, read 384,401 times
The art museum/fairmount area is also pretty close to both.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:47 AM

2 posts, read 7,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
Jeff is around 11th & Walnut. Drexel is around 34th & Walnut.

Try some place in the 20s and it sounds like you guys will be golden.
That's the question, I know somewhere between 20-24th st, but i hear that's a very ritzy level of housing there.... ?

Old 12-11-2008, 10:45 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,586,681 times
Washington Square West would be good. It's closer to Jeff, but you can easily walk to Market Street and take the Frankford EL - to either 30th or 34th Street. It's about a 5 minute ride. If you don't want to take the EL - the 21 bus goes west on Walnut and east on Chestnut. Takes a bit longer though depending on traffic.

It's best not to have a car since parking can be difficult (and expensive). You can look into PhillyCarShare

Good luck!

Old 12-11-2008, 04:26 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Washington Square West would be good. It's closer to Jeff, but you can easily walk to Market Street and take the Frankford EL - to either 30th or 34th Street. It's about a 5 minute ride. If you don't want to take the EL - the 21 bus goes west on Walnut and east on Chestnut. Takes a bit longer though depending on traffic.
Yeah, living near either school is fine. Between the buses and the el it's not hard to get around. Really, I would live anywhere you could afford between 2nd & 45th and Chestnut & South/Cedar. Living on that east/west axis will be the most convenient. That would be my first choice.

Second choice would be the area on either side of Baltimore Ave. out to about 48th St. You have 4 trolley routes that will take you straight to the Drexel campus and to 13th & Market, which is just a 4 block walk to Jeff.

Northern Liberties is OK too, if you're living close to the El. It's just a little further away from both places.

Tied for 3rd with NoLibs would be South Philly. I would check out the Passyunk Square and Easy Passyunk Crossing neighborhoods in South Philly as well. They're convenient to Jeff (23 bus goes right through the campus and subway stop is 3 blocks away) but less so to Drexel (subway then transfer to el/trolley). You can check out Bella Vista and Queen Village as well (technically South Philly) they're very convenient to Jeff but much less so to Drexel. Graduate Hospital is more or less the same, especially now that the South St. Bridge is closed for the next year for repairs.

Parts of Fairmount are quite close to Drexel, especially if you're riding a bike. A few of the bus routes through the neighborhood go down Market St. and thus, are very convenient to Jeff. Those are also the same routes that use articulated buses and are still ridiculously crowded during the day. That neighborhood needs a subway, terribly. Anyway, it's worth checking out but just keep in mind that the transit in that neighborhood is oriented towards getting people to City Hall (for all of the transfers) so you'll have to transfer from bus to el/trolley to get to Drexel . . . it's why I call this town Amsterdelphia. Cycling is so popular here because it's usually the quickest way to get anywhere.

Last edited by solibs; 12-11-2008 at 04:41 PM..

Old 12-15-2008, 08:06 AM

9 posts, read 39,388 times
The above posts are good suggestions. Also try a few property managers in Philly.
- Alpha Realty, 215-463-0777 ext. 225
- Phila. Property Works, 866-987-9988 ext. 11
- New Age Realty Group, they're located in West Philly - they place a lot of college students - 215-387-1002

Bill

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-15-2008 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: advertising, up to Tone to edit further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: