Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2011, 09:38 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,892,366 times

Advertisements

Question for the room as I'm not familiar with the area:

Someone I know was recently diagnosed with Cancer. There's a fair chance he may be going to the Cancer Center of America near the corner of East Wyoming and Castor, as the treatment centers in his home town aren't exactly top-notch. He and his wife are going up there shortly for an evaluation, and they will have to be there for a few days, and will have at least one day off from testing to see the area. They will not have a car as they are taking the train into the city and will only have access to the Cancer center's shuttle that goes to and from their hotel which is 30 minutes outside of the city.

Are there any "must see" attractions or things to do that are maybe within walking distance to the Cancer Center that anyone is aware of? These people have never really traveled much so they're up in the air about what to do on that day off. He's about to go through some very tough treatment and I'd like to be able to tell them of at least one or two neat things to see/do in that area on that day off. Any suggestions are welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 09:57 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
This is kind of a rough area of town, maybe there would be better options closer to where they are staying. I honestly am not sure there is anything notable in the general vacinity (walking distance), maybe some others may know better. This is an area of North/Northeast Philly that has long since seen its heyday.

as another option, about a half mile walk is the Market/Franford El/Subway which could take them right to Independence Mall etc in a 15 minute ride, but to get to the El is a litle seedy in that area. There is probably a bus that links with Frankford terminal but I am unsure of the lines or actual facility per se

Do wish your friend good luck and success

Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM

Thanks for the reply - good to know the area the hospital is in is a rougher area - they're not "larger city folks" and wouldn't know good from bad in a new place. I was hoping it was going to be in a more touristy-centralized area for them. Oh well.

To my knowledge, their hotel is in the Old Lincoln Highway area about 30 minutes NW of the city - doesn't seem to be much there in that area via google maps except standard restaurants, etc.

Old 02-10-2011, 10:26 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Question for the room as I'm not familiar with the area:

Someone I know was recently diagnosed with Cancer. There's a fair chance he may be going to the Cancer Center of America near the corner of East Wyoming and Castor, as the treatment centers in his home town aren't exactly top-notch. He and his wife are going up there shortly for an evaluation, and they will have to be there for a few days, and will have at least one day off from testing to see the area. They will not have a car as they are taking the train into the city and will only have access to the Cancer center's shuttle that goes to and from their hotel which is 30 minutes outside of the city.
Are there any "must see" attractions or things to do that are maybe within walking distance to the Cancer Center that anyone is aware of? These people have never really traveled much so they're up in the air about what to do on that day off. He's about to go through some very tough treatment and I'd like to be able to tell them of at least one or two neat things to see/do in that area on that day off. Any suggestions are welcome.
Mod cut - copyrighted picture - There were two copyright marks right on this picture!
Do you think he will feel like sightseeing? Anyway I was cured of my cancer at Hospital University of Pennsylvania (Abramson Cancer Center) at the new Pearlman Building on Civic Center Blvd in University City. It is supposed to be one of the best hospitals in the world and from my extensive experience it is certainly light years better than any other hospital in Philadelphia. It is a very safe and convenient neighborhood just opposit the downtown area, patients park for $6.00 all day (a bargain in Philly). I was always treated with kindness and respect. I highly recomend them.
The building now has a huge tower on top of it. Google Earth is so out of date.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 02-11-2011 at 05:41 AM..

Old 02-11-2011, 09:30 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,206 times
That place is top notch,incredible.Hope all works out well for you.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Mod cut - copyrighted picture - There were two copyright marks right on this picture!
Do you think he will feel like sightseeing? Anyway I was cured of my cancer at Hospital University of Pennsylvania (Abramson Cancer Center) at the new Pearlman Building on Civic Center Blvd in University City. It is supposed to be one of the best hospitals in the world and from my extensive experience it is certainly light years better than any other hospital in Philadelphia. It is a very safe and convenient neighborhood just opposit the downtown area, patients park for $6.00 all day (a bargain in Philly). I was always treated with kindness and respect. I highly recomend them.
Thanks for the recommendation, but they already have the ball rolling on where he is to be treated most likely. I'd simply like some info on local's opinions of a couple of "must see" attractions for people short on time while there.

Old 02-12-2011, 07:14 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Thanks for the reply - good to know the area the hospital is in is a rougher area - they're not "larger city folks" and wouldn't know good from bad in a new place. I was hoping it was going to be in a more touristy-centralized area for them. Oh well.

To my knowledge, their hotel is in the Old Lincoln Highway area about 30 minutes NW of the city - doesn't seem to be much there in that area via google maps except standard restaurants, etc.

what hotel on old Lincoln highway? There are a few 'do not go here' hotels there too. The hospital is in a dicey area for sure..

Old 02-12-2011, 07:16 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
highly recommended hospital bryson.. I took my wife there for an issue and was very impressed

Old 02-13-2011, 02:32 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,416,802 times
Take a cab to the local train and go downtown.

-Franklin Institute (kids) has lots of cool stuff, and a nice IMAX
-Liberty Bell/Independence Hall/Christ Church
-Phila Art Museum
-The ducks (if they're up and running again.)
-South Street
-Italian Market
-Shopping on Walnut Street
-Sports Game
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia