Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2011, 08:38 AM

62 posts, read 93,884 times

Advertisements

Hello there,I got admitted to Temple Univeristy as an undergraduate for this fall and now want to know which areas are best to live if i prefer off campus housing.Iam International Student and this will be first ever visit to Philadelphia so obviously I have a lot of questions.Firstly,I want to know If the area around temple university is really all that dangerous ? Secondly,what area would you choose to live in if you were me and would want a maximum 15 min bus ride to the university ? The budget is around 650$ a month and Im looking for a safe place.Lastly,what I want to know is whether Philadelphia is a dangerous big city ? I got calls from relatives saying Philly is dangerous and I would be much safer in a city like Houston.Please tell me if that is true.Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2011, 09:34 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,590,134 times
Look in South Philly close to the Broad Street subway (Broad Street is 14th Street - I would stay on the east side of Broad Street to be safer). The subway will take you to campus in about 15 minutes and also to center city (which is perfectly safe if you use common sense) in about six minutes (depending on how far south you live.)

Old 03-11-2011, 10:06 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,826,095 times
you might want to look into spring garden which is much closer to temple than south philly. lots of temple students there

Old 03-11-2011, 01:02 PM

South garden a safe area ?

Old 03-11-2011, 01:09 PM

The rent can be around 800$ max but the apartments should be in a decent area looking for a one bedroom apartment.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:13 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Maybe try Craigslist and check on apts in CC, Bella Vista, No Libs, Fishtown and Spring Garden etc.

you could always post some blocks and people may be able to give you some perspective on safety

What is your perspective on safety, are you from a city, small town, comfort level with cities etc.

Old 03-12-2011, 04:23 AM

Im from a big city.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:08 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Houston and Philly are extremely different cities. Houston is more of a sprawling spread-out city where people generally drive everyplace, while Philly is a much more dense, older, walkable city.

I'm not experienced enough with Houston to tell you how much more or less "dangerous" I think it is than Philly. I can look at stats and see that Philly ranks #30 and Houston ranks #46 on a list of crime rates last year. But I know that stats aren't the whole story.
Like, is Atlanta (#22) really more dangerous than Inglewood,CA (#44)? Probably depends on a lot of circumstances.

I'm guessing that the truth is that, in both Houston and in Philly, if you are in dangerous areas of the city it's dangerous, and if you avoid those areas, you'll be fine.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM

I know that dangerous exist everywhere and you have to use common sense to avoid them.I just need an apartment where my brother and I can live safely and where coming home slightly late at night isnt too much of a problem.I checked out Spring Garden and it was good but some of the apartments i saw where a little rough.Any chance of getting one in or close to Centre City for around 800$ a month.A single bedroom is all thats required.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:53 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerr91 View Post
I know that dangerous exist everywhere and you have to use common sense to avoid them.I just need an apartment where my brother and I can live safely and where coming home slightly late at night isnt too much of a problem.I checked out Spring Garden and it was good but some of the apartments i saw where a little rough.Any chance of getting one in or close to Centre City for around 800$ a month.A single bedroom is all thats required.
Probably not.

What part of Spring Garden looked "pretty rough"? The eastern part looks a bit sketch but generally isn't dangerous. Western Spring Garden Ave runs through the actual Spring Garden neighborhood, which is one of the nicest in the city. You may find cheaper rents north in Francisville, although you may find that a bit rough as well.

Your best bet would be, again, South Philly along Broad Street. Look into Bella Vista. Graduate Hospital isn't bad, but is more like Francisville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia