Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 07:04 PM

108 posts, read 340,407 times

Advertisements

Is this new development really within walking distance to downtown Media? How many homes are currently built? Are the lots flat or hilly? How close are the elementary/middle schools to the neighborhood? And do these schools have a good reputation? Any information would be appreciated! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 06:51 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
I live minutes from there and i visit the homes all the time! They are building 50 homes, over 30 have sold since september, they are in very high demand. Pricing begins in the mid 600k range. The lots are on average half an acre, some seem crammed, some are spaced out. The model home is ready to open in the coming weeks to show for potential buyers. There are 6 other homes currently under contruction, and the foundations for 4 others are underway. Probably about 2/3 of the homes are on a slight slope. The neighborhood has a small downhill stretch throughout, but your not on the side of a cliff or anything. Most will probably offer a walkout basement. This neighborhood is literally 5 minutes from downtown media, and minutes from all major roadways, train stations and shopping. The homes will be in the media 19063 zip code, which makes up the rose tree media school district, which is an excellent school district. The schools in that district are all pretty close. Media elementary is the closest right in downtown media across from the media theator. Glennwood elem. is right on pennell road near route 1. Penncrest highschool is near the granite run mall. Springton lake middle school is off of providence road 5 minutes away and indian lane elem is also minutes away.
Here is a link for the neighborhood on toll brothers website. I hope i helped, if you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

Woodlands at Ridley Creek - New Homes in Media, PA by Toll Brothers (http://www.tollbrothers.com/homesearch/servlet/HomeSearch?app=community_description&comm_num=1090 6 - broken link)

Old 04-27-2011, 07:19 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Toll Brothers builds junk, not to mention their questionable sales practices. You'd be better off buying a slightly older home by a reputable builder. Andover by Vaughan Builders comes to mind...

Old 04-27-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
Toll Brothers builds junk, not to mention their questionable sales practices. You'd be better off buying a slightly older home by a reputable builder. Andover by Vaughan Builders comes to mind...
What do you mean by toll Brothers builds junk? Andover is nice development as well, but they are in the same price range, smaller homes overall, and similar lot size. They also dont have the convience of being 3 minutes from downtown media. Andover is in Glenn Mills, which is a great area, but not as convient IMO.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:02 AM

788 posts, read 1,271,903 times
I second the comment about Toll Brothers not building quality homes. I've heard it from many people and have read it on this board regarding the Naval Square homes in Philly that Toll built.

Old 04-28-2011, 05:07 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
What do you mean by toll Brothers builds junk? Andover is nice development as well, but they are in the same price range, smaller homes overall, and similar lot size. They also dont have the convience of being 3 minutes from downtown media. Andover is in Glenn Mills, which is a great area, but not as convient IMO.
If you search for Toll Brothers here and in other states/forums you will find lots of complaints about materials and workmanship. They are not the worst but still overpriced and not customer friendly. Secondly they do things like sell single homes with a promise of great views at a premium then create a development of townhomes within spitting distance, spoiling the view that someone paid a premium for. Talk about deceptive business practices!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:10 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
not exactly sure what you're going on by thinking toll brothers is not junk... I mean they're basically infamous for building shoddy garbage.

Williamsburg waterfront condo residents complain of 'shoddy' construction - NYPOST.com

Toll Brothers Complaints - Bad construction

The Truth About Toll Brothers

Disgruntled Northside Piers Buyers Declare War on Toll Brothers - Complaints Dept. - Curbed NY

the internet is littered with complaints. i can't believe they're about to still operate their business under the toll brothers name.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:55 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
the reality is that when you're in the homebuilding business and you build that many homes, there are always going to be construction issues and you'll have articles like that written about you. it justed isn't an exact enough science where you can eliminate all known problems. but remember, while Toll is a "higher end" production builder, they are still a production builder, which allows them to keep prices lower than they otherwise would be. if you want custom home quality, you have to pay for it.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:17 AM

This person asked a question, so I answered it because I live minutes away. Relatives and friends of mine live in toll homes and they have not had problems, so yes there are complaints, there are complaints about any home building company, but they are not the norm. My only problem with toll is that they are cheap on lot size.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:05 AM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
the reality is that when you're in the homebuilding business and you build that many homes, there are always going to be construction issues and you'll have articles like that written about you. it justed isn't an exact enough science where you can eliminate all known problems. but remember, while Toll is a "higher end" production builder, they are still a production builder, which allows them to keep prices lower than they otherwise would be. if you want custom home quality, you have to pay for it.
understandable. i do however think that the reputation that toll brothers carries is considerably worse than any other home builder.

could it be simply because of the size and scope of their operation? i.e. because they build so many homes there are more home that have a chance to have a problem and have people complain about it. sure, i could see that.

but all i'm saying is, i can't even really think of the name of another home builder... much less one with a bad reputation. toll brothers is kind of infamous. i'm pretty sure aside from the home building issues they were also convicted of investor fraud or something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia