Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2014, 01:34 AM

1 posts, read 916 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I just graduated college, and accepted a job offer to work in downtown Philadelphia on 17th and market street. I am looking for advice on renting. My new job officially starts the third week of September, but was hoping to move by September 15th. I am looking to spend no more than $1000 per month on rent including utilities and I am open to a studio, 1 bedroom, or even a 2 bedroom apartment shared with a roommate. Please note that I do not have a car, and I would prefer to walk to work if possible or take the train. Some of the things that I am looking for in a neighborhood are 1)great bar scene 2)safe 3) easy commute to work.

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions on finding a good rental downtown and or roomates.

Thank you,

Last edited by ruby-tuesday88; 06-17-2014 at 02:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 05:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,280,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruby-tuesday88 View Post
Hi everyone,

I just graduated college, and accepted a job offer to work in downtown Philadelphia on 17th and market street. I am looking for advice on renting. My new job officially starts the third week of September, but was hoping to move by September 15th. I am looking to spend no more than $1000 per month on rent including utilities and I am open to a studio, 1 bedroom, or even a 2 bedroom apartment shared with a roommate. Please note that I do not have a car, and I would prefer to walk to work if possible or take the train. Some of the things that I am looking for in a neighborhood are 1)great bar scene 2)safe 3) easy commute to work.

Let me know your thoughts or suggestions on finding a good rental downtown and or roomates.

Thank you,
Should be able to find something in your price range in the outer neighborhoods of Center City, e.g. Bella Vista, Grad Hospital, etc. If you go on Craig's List you can pinpoint addresses and see how close everything is to your job. You've got a couple of months to find a place so don't be too worried: I found my place in a week, and my friend found her place in three days. Things are always popping up, especially on the weekends, and if you keep an eye out there are some good deals to be had.

Also, these areas are very walkable to your job plus they are on the bus routes. They are safe and great bar scene pretty much goes without saying all over Philly.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:26 AM

3,168 posts, read 5,528,016 times
You can definitely find a shared apartment within your price range in any of the CC neighborhoods. Check Craigslist, Hotpads, or Padmapper.

Old 06-17-2014, 08:54 AM

95 posts, read 180,845 times
I second the recommendation of graduate hospital (between ~24th street and broad, and between south and washington). Its a nice neighborhood, in your price range, and a straight shot north to work for you -- easy walk or bike ride, and there is bus access.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia