Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2022, 09:23 AM

386 posts, read 266,377 times

Advertisements

Yes, that’s very good news, especially for that area of Center City. It’s where the lower foot traffic is most noticeable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2022, 09:25 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
A much needed boost for Center City.

Comcast workers told to come back to office in-person 3 days a week
Fantastic to hear. Hopefully that becomes the "norm" for most other Center City offices.

Old 08-04-2022, 12:29 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Another bit of good news, Spring Garden Street Connector funding

https://twitter.com/repmaryisaacson/...z_5FgD4jb8F71w

Old 08-04-2022, 02:02 PM

752 posts, read 459,941 times
Quote:

I think we need more community input first!

Old 08-04-2022, 02:33 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:

So cool! I couldn't tell from anything I read--- is this going to be a major expansion upon what they already did at Spring Garden Station? As in, the entirety of Spring Garden will become much more cyclist and runner friendly? If so, I am psyched!!!

Old 08-05-2022, 06:52 AM

Where is our fine councilwoman Jamie Gauthier? She created this mess, riled people up that really don't know any better and walked away.

The owner's quote made me chuckle though... “How about putting them on a bus and sending them to Baltimore?” McElhatton said.

Judge orders encampment at University City Townhomes to be dismantled Monday

https://www.inquirer.com/news/encamp...-20220804.html

A judge has ordered that the protest encampment at University City Townhomes in West Philadelphia be cleared out by 9 a.m. Monday.
“The encampment is trespassing on private property and I have ordered it to be dismantled” by the Philadelphia Sheriff’s Office, Common Pleas Court Judge Joshua Roberts said during a hearing held via Zoom on Thursday afternoon.

The encampment, a mix of tenants and supporters, was formed with around 15 tents and a border of wooden pallets on the sidewalk nearly a month ago in response to the efforts by IBID Associates, owners of the townhomes, to sell the property for redevelopment.

Calling the judge’s ruling “absurd b.s.,” townhomes resident Krystal Young, 28, said Thursday night that people of the encampment have decided they will resist any attempt to break it up.

“Unfortunately, the owners are entitled to sell the property or do with it as they wish,” said Dennis Culhane, professor of social policy at the University of Pennsylvania and a national expert on homelessness.
“However, it’ll mean a net decline in low-income units.”

Old 08-05-2022, 07:15 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
So cool! I couldn't tell from anything I read--- is this going to be a major expansion upon what they already did at Spring Garden Station? As in, the entirety of Spring Garden will become much more cyclist and runner friendly? If so, I am psyched!!!

This is a great project and awesome to see move forward. The big thing is that it is flipping the bike lane and parking, and separating the bike lane out of traffic into it's own trail connecting the Delaware River Trail and the Schuylkill River Trail.

What it is right now:

The new design:

Details about the improvements:

DCNR and the state government having the lead on it to connect the two major river trails made this project much more a reality vs. the Washington Ave. mess.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:11 AM

14,166 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post

DCNR and the state government having the lead on it to connect the two major river trails made this project much more a reality vs. the Washington Ave. mess.
It probably also didn't hurt that there are no light-industrial uses save Yards Brewing Company anywhere along Spring Garden Street, and Yards' actual industrial traffic uses the 5th Street side of the building anyway.

Old 08-05-2022, 09:18 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
It probably also didn't hurt that there are no light-industrial uses save Yards Brewing Company anywhere along Spring Garden Street, and Yards' actual industrial traffic uses the 5th Street side of the building anyway.

Yes, good point, in my mind the two streets are similar and should be zoned and designed similarly. In 2022, imo, the two streets make up the borders of what could be called 'greater center city'. In a similar vein, I think of Girard and Snyder to be similar too.

Old 08-05-2022, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
And no "road diet" for the Spring Garden project.

This project is exciting though, but the process is painfully slow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia