Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2022, 08:52 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
For the record, I don't disagree inherently with anything you've said. I'm not calling property rights in to question. I think it's just a very emotionally fraught situation when anyone has to find a new home, obviously, so no one should be shocked when the protest signs go up--even if it's not necessarily the most productive thing to do. It's just trying to bring awareness to the situation.
Obviously, my issues lie more in the political governance realm oppose to people going to camp out with signs. However, the Philly DSA/SunRise Movement/Working Party Family coalition that shows up to these things are 100% NIMBYs on new construction and development like 50th and Warrington. It makes no damn sense.

Quote:
Change happens, of course, and yes, properties get sold and are redeveloped. But even if it's technically not the property owner's responsibility, it would be nice if they were more proactive to work with their tenants to find an alternative place to live.

It's a textbook case of gentrification. The outcomes are not always great, but they could often be handled much better by everyone involved.
If we were talking about Boston or NYC, where the economy has been so successful it's one of the most expensive cities in the world. Where the communities are largely safe and clean. I would be more willing to agree. I will never submit to the train of thought that change is bad in Philly. The status quo needs to be flipped and smashed out of existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2022, 09:09 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,593,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
If we were talking about Boston or NYC, where the economy has been so successful it's one of the most expensive cities in the world. Where the communities are largely safe and clean. I would be more willing to agree. I will never submit to the train of thought that change is bad in Philly. The status quo needs to be flipped and smashed out of existence.
Absolutely no disagreement there. Philadelphia's governance was on a much better trajectory during the Nutter era, but much of that progress went out the window post-Nutter, which is a terrible shame.

But yes, competent, reform-driven, visionary government/leadership is the big missing puzzle piece for Philadelphia. It's is even more maddening, because Philadelphia and Philadelphians are very capable great things, but much higher-quality candidates need to step up to the plate. The next Mayoral campaign season can't start soon enough.

Old 08-09-2022, 09:53 AM

1,697 posts, read 971,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
Absolutely no disagreement there. Philadelphia's governance was on a much better trajectory during the Nutter era, but much of that progress went out the window post-Nutter, which is a terrible shame.

But yes, competent, reform-driven, visionary government/leadership is the big missing puzzle piece for Philadelphia. It's is even more maddening, because Philadelphians are very capable great things, but much higher-quality people to step up to the plate. The next Mayoral campaign season can't start soon enough.
The problem here - and I include myself as part of the problem - is the perception that Philly is 20 times worse than any other large city. It's not. Every issue in Philly is amplified at the same time that it's down-played in NYC, Chicago and Boston. Don't even start on San Fran.

So Philly needs tangible improvement but also has to overcome a false perception that we are exponentially crappier than anywhere else. The poverty thing is real. I think NYC had a poverty issue that was gentrified away - an option we don't seem to have here (not that I think supplanting the poor is the most humane approach).

It's a long-term, multi pronged issue that needs several points of attack to dent the issue. But the optics in this town couldn't be worse from an administrative perspective. That alone would go a long way to a better perception of Philly. Flood the streets with cops anyway you can and get a chief in there that can build community ties between the Hood and the rank and file and you're on your way.

We need a high profile, charismatic mayor that can bring people to the table. That's first. Then we need to educate citizens on how to vote out the criminals that reside on the City Council.

Old 08-09-2022, 11:39 AM

14,167 posts, read 9,058,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
The problem here - and I include myself as part of the problem - is the perception that Philly is 20 times worse than any other large city. It's not. Every issue in Philly is amplified at the same time that it's down-played in NYC, Chicago and Boston. Don't even start on San Fran.

So Philly needs tangible improvement but also has to overcome a false perception that we are exponentially crappier than anywhere else. The poverty thing is real. I think NYC had a poverty issue that was gentrified away - an option we don't seem to have here (not that I think supplanting the poor is the most humane approach).

It's a long-term, multi pronged issue that needs several points of attack to dent the issue. But the optics in this town couldn't be worse from an administrative perspective. That alone would go a long way to a better perception of Philly. Flood the streets with cops anyway you can and get a chief in there that can build community ties between the Hood and the rank and file and you're on your way.

We need a high profile, charismatic mayor that can bring people to the table. That's first. Then we need to educate citizens on how to vote out the criminals that reside on the City Council.
I wonder if that's not happening here to a more modest extent. After all, our poverty rate has been declining slowly over the past four years or so.

Old 08-09-2022, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I wonder if that's not happening here to a more modest extent. After all, our poverty rate has been declining slowly over the past four years or so.
I feel like it is for sure but if I'm being honest, it was more a dig at the whole University City thing that was happening earlier this week.

I feel like city council dropped the ball to lead a better way on gentrification than Gauthier did. "Dig in and fight" a by-right development was not the way.

Old 08-10-2022, 02:22 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,514,664 times
So who's everyone's choice for mayor? MarketStEl has long talked up Jeff Brown. I am more than willing to vote for anyone who isn't on the current city council if they have a chance to win.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:37 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,323 times
I am interested in Rhyhart and Domb, though my vote is a kiss of death. Just ask Lynn Abraham, Joe Khan and a long list of failed candidates.

Maybe there is some candidate out there that as or right now, no one has heard of akin to Tom Knox. I wasn't a Philly voter (though I did live here) at the time but I likely would have voted for him. I don't really know much about Malcolm Kenyatta but he did very well here in the senate primary and has successfully introduced himself to voters city wide. If he wants to run, he will likely garner a good amount of support.

Old 08-10-2022, 08:39 PM

1,170 posts, read 591,323 times
Also, especially if Dems lose the house, would anyone be surprised if Dwight Evans ran? He clearly wants the job and he can run for it without giving up his current job. I guess he could do that regardless of who controls the house but being the minority is no fun.

Old 08-11-2022, 08:12 AM

I'm for Domb mainly because he understands how important it is to change Philly's tax structure to a more business friendly environment. It is essential to get that done if we want to be on an even playing field with the other biggies. You do that, and it's ON. Philly has so much to offer and with that barrier eliminated, look out.

Of course that comes with issues. Gentrification will only accelerate if this town becomes a destination for commerce. But more jobs will be available (not that we don't have jobs available that pay well). We will approach NYC and quickly.

He doesn't necessarily fit the "charismatic leader that will bring everyone to the table," but he can get things done. And when you look at things through the lens of a businessman (who isn't a straight-up criminal), several key things become into focus - like crime, poverty and image.

Old 08-11-2022, 04:27 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,450,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
I'm for Domb mainly because he understands how important it is to change Philly's tax structure to a more business friendly environment. It is essential to get that done if we want to be on an even playing field with the other biggies. You do that, and it's ON. Philly has so much to offer and with that barrier eliminated, look out.

Of course that comes with issues. Gentrification will only accelerate if this town becomes a destination for commerce. But more jobs will be available (not that we don't have jobs available that pay well). We will approach NYC and quickly.

He doesn't necessarily fit the "charismatic leader that will bring everyone to the table," but he can get things done. And when you look at things through the lens of a businessman (who isn't a straight-up criminal), several key things become into focus - like crime, poverty and image.
Back in early COVID times, I came across an article with video clips to Rebecca Rhynhart's response to some of Mayor Kenney's budget, and I thought she did a good job of succinctly and clearly explaining some of what made it such a poorly drafted budget. She seems unafraid to dig into the details to do the drudging work required to really lead a city. It (along with the person's analysis of Rhynhart who posted the link) is what got me thinking about Rhynhart as a potential next mayor.

I think moreso than Domb, she is someone that could forge some compromises between "centrists" and "progressives" in the city. It's hard for me to see a former real estate mogul appealing to a majority of Philadelphians. There is still far too big of a renter and progressive contingency here that will not trust someone like him. I'm not making a judgement about his ability to lead one way or another, just trying to be realistic. While I'm certainly not close-minded to him, and I am willing to believe he'd have some good ideas to boost business in Philadelphia, I think Rhynhart has less "baggage" (whether you believe his entrepreneurship is baggage or not) to make her a viable, forward-thinking candidate.

https://thephiladelphiacitizen.org/r...t-alternative/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia