Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2022, 06:29 AM

471 posts, read 272,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Apparently the Durst residential project at 300 N. Columbus Boulevard has been shelved?

Does anyone have any intel on this? Sucks if it's true.

Background
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/09/rend...nter-city.html
Where did you hear this? Asking because it looks like they actually started the work on it: https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...partments.html

From this article in September: "While site work is underway on the project, city officials and Durst executives will officially celebrate the start of construction on the project at a groundbreaking ceremony scheduled for Monday."

I was just driving by yesterday, I wish I had seen this first so I could've looked more closely. I will say, regardless of if this is still happening or not, there is a TON of development going on in that area. And One Dock Street is going up fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2022, 01:39 PM

386 posts, read 265,768 times
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20221222.html

The leaders in this city are such a disgrace, they actively work to make the city fail. It’s infuriating reading this article. They take one of the few good things to come out of the pandemic and destroy it.

I wish there was some way to express to them how big of a mistake this is for revitalizing the city but I’m not sure where to start or if enough people even care.

Old 12-23-2022, 04:18 AM

2,212 posts, read 1,447,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mphilly View Post
https://www.inquirer.com/news/philad...-20221222.html

The leaders in this city are such a disgrace, they actively work to make the city fail. It’s infuriating reading this article. They take one of the few good things to come out of the pandemic and destroy it.

I wish there was some way to express to them how big of a mistake this is for revitalizing the city but I’m not sure where to start or if enough people even care.
I completely agree. The street dining boom was amazing, and the only people I've ever heard complain about it were old timers whose logic for ending it was to save themselves the two minutes of inconvenience it cost them on their usual driving routes. Expanded outdoor dining is a total level up for street level vibrancy.

Old 12-23-2022, 05:33 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
I agree mostly with you guys about the outdoor dining. HOWEVER, I will say, not all of those things were created equal and there were a few places where the position of them near the corner made crossing the street or seeing traffic more difficult. However most were fine and in the middle of the block and added outdoor tables.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:03 AM

1,697 posts, read 969,207 times
This is a tough one....

The idea of making sure these structures are safe and up to some kind of code is reasonable. I bet the list is probably not realistic though I have not seen it.

Philly can make even the most mundane tasks restrictively long and expensive. Sucks.

On another note, Durst has confirmed that they have "paused" the 300 Columbus Blvd project just because. I literally hate that company. Their claim to fame is that they sit on properties for decades waiting for the perfect market environment. They should be stripped of their building rites on the Delaware River.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:23 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
On another note, Durst has confirmed that they have "paused" the 300 Columbus Blvd project just because. I literally hate that company. Their claim to fame is that they sit on properties for decades waiting for the perfect market environment. They should be stripped of their building rites on the Delaware River.

It is disappointing to hear, but they may deserve a tiny bit of slack given that economic conditions are more uncertain now than they've been since the worst days of the pandemic.

The city really should have a stronger legal mechanism for holding developers accountable, though (see Jewelers Row). Unfortunately, a lot of people interpret those kinds of efforts as being "unfriendly" to business, but land speculation and "sitting" on properties is also bad for the city's bottom line and inhibits real progress.

It's exactly the kind of topic that the City Council should dedicate a lot more time towards to strike a reasonable balance.

Last edited by Duderino; 12-27-2022 at 08:32 AM..

Old 12-27-2022, 08:36 AM

I mean, there are several instances across the city that outline the need for regulation.

Companies should have to secure funding for projects that involve the destruction of historic sites. This would require the city to get it's head out of it's a$$ when it comes to Historical Designations. The fact that Jewelers Row was not protected is a national disgrace - not just a a total embarrassment for Philly and City Hall.

There should be the funding requirement and a STIFF fine if halted, with the requirement to rebuild the destroyed structure (of course this would never happen).

Snellenburgs was the first and probably the worst example of this travesty in the city's history.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:48 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
It is disappointing to hear, but they may deserve a tiny bit of slack given that economic conditions are more uncertain now than they've been since the worst days of the pandemic.

The city really should have a stronger legal mechanism for holding developers accountable, though (see Jewelers Row). Unfortunately, a lot of people interpret those kinds of efforts as being "unfriendly" to business, but land speculation and "sitting" on properties is also bad for the city's bottom line and inhibits real progress.

It's exactly the kind of topic that the City Council should dedicate a lot more time towards to strike a reasonable balance.
No time. Their calendars are already full with hot button meetings like trying to shut down beer gardens on privately owned previously empty trash lots, stopping third story rowhome development and brainstorming ideas on how best to halt redevelopment of currently abandoned and dangerous rowhomes. Major construction and development policy might fit into the schedule in Q3 after the egregious proposal of a new playground in an empty lot that was suggested by gentrifiers. Those damn gentrifiers - always coming into neighborhoods and trying to change things.

Old 12-28-2022, 07:43 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
No time. Their calendars are already full with hot button meetings like trying to shut down beer gardens on privately owned previously empty trash lots, stopping third story rowhome development and brainstorming ideas on how best to halt redevelopment of currently abandoned and dangerous rowhomes. Major construction and development policy might fit into the schedule in Q3 after the egregious proposal of a new playground in an empty lot that was suggested by gentrifiers. Those damn gentrifiers - always coming into neighborhoods and trying to change things.

The crazy thing is you aren't really being that hyperbolic lol.. It's a sad situation. I saw someone else say this the other day: "If you transported someone from 1992 Philadelphia to 2022 Philly, and told them that the powers that be have been working to BLOCK investment, they would think you were absolutely crazy".

Somehow, because NYC/DC/etc. got uber gentrified, we need to implement the same anti-growth policies so the city.. fails? It's the most bizarre thing to me..

Old 12-28-2022, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
The crazy thing is you aren't really being that hyperbolic lol.. It's a sad situation. I saw someone else say this the other day: "If you transported someone from 1992 Philadelphia to 2022 Philly, and told them that the powers that be have been working to BLOCK investment, they would think you were absolutely crazy".

Somehow, because NYC/DC/etc. got uber gentrified, we need to implement the same anti-growth policies so the city.. fails? It's the most bizarre thing to me..
100% the most bizarre approach to investment and development that you can imagine.

It's a joke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia