Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2023, 08:04 AM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
SW corner of Aviator Park, catty-cornered from the senior residence.
That's gonna be cute. Hope they outfit it nicely! It would be great if they could find period-appropriate gas pumps to go with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2023, 09:59 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
The best development news of the week! Officially a go!

Condo project at Dilworth house in Society Hill is underway after two decades of strife
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230127.html

More than two decades after John Turchi purchased Mayor Richardson Dilworth’s former home on Washington Square, construction is underway at 223 S. Sixth St.

After years of legal battles, Turchi won the right to build a 12-story condo building while preserving part of the older house just before the pandemic began. But the project being built today is slightly different from the version that won city approvals in 2019, having been shrunk from 10 units to nine.
And now a new owner will see it through.

The units will range between 2,600 and 5,000 square feet. Shaaban said that it was too soon to say exactly what the prices for individual units would be, but that they would be “in line” with the company’s other products. These range, he said, from $800 a square foot to $1,500 a square foot. That would put the largest unit between $4 million and $7.5 million, with the high end more likely.

Construction began in the fall and is expected to be completed within 24 months. The total project cost will be about $32 million.

Old 01-27-2023, 11:35 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
^what a cool little building. Overlooking Washington Square is awesome

Old 01-27-2023, 01:02 PM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,840 times
^ Eh. I'm not a NIMBY, but I would prefer to see that house continue to be privately owned as opposed to putting a 12-story building there. I can't access the link as I'm not a subscriber, but I wonder how they will incorporate the facade of the existing house into the finished building.

Old 01-27-2023, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers Girl View Post
^ Eh. I'm not a NIMBY, but I would prefer to see that house continue to be privately owned as opposed to putting a 12-story building there. I can't access the link as I'm not a subscriber, but I wonder how they will incorporate the facade of the existing house into the finished building.

why? It's not historical and no one has lived in it for over two decades

Old 01-27-2023, 01:13 PM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
From the rendering, it looks like the house itself will remain intact while the tower will rise in its backyard and front on Randolph Street. There's supposed to be a one-story wing connecting the two.

This sounds to me like an improvement on the original plan, which I believe called for the partial demolition of the house.

It's true that the house isn't historic, but it was designed to blend in with the Colonial architecture of the general area (oddly enough, there isn't much of that along that stretch of South Sixth Street).

Old 01-27-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Adding to TheDirtyPirate, only a small portion of the house (in the rear) will be demolished.
The rest of the home will be restored and incorporated into the development, and the house has been empty and rotting for decades, not sure what there is to complain about...

Old 02-01-2023, 07:58 AM

Inching closer to normalcy! All the sports excitement certainly helps too.

Philly tourism is likely to bounce back to pre-pandemic levels this year, officials say
https://www.inquirer.com/business/to...-20230131.html

With 20 citywide conventions and 165 events booked for this year, Visit Philadelphia and the Philadelphia Convention and Visitors Bureau anticipate hotel revenue for both Center City and Philadelphia County to surpass 2019 numbers by about 4%, exceeding $746 million in Center City and $918 million in the county.

But it’s not quite there yet, they said, which prompted the groups to join forces on a new $6.5 million joint marketing campaign as they work to meet those 2023 expectations.

Old 02-01-2023, 09:29 AM

1,526 posts, read 1,185,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
why? It's not historical and no one has lived in it for over two decades
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
From the rendering, it looks like the house itself will remain intact while the tower will rise in its backyard and front on Randolph Street. There's supposed to be a one-story wing connecting the two.

This sounds to me like an improvement on the original plan, which I believe called for the partial demolition of the house.

It's true that the house isn't historic, but it was designed to blend in with the Colonial architecture of the general area (oddly enough, there isn't much of that along that stretch of South Sixth Street).
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Adding to TheDirtyPirate, only a small portion of the house (in the rear) will be demolished.
The rest of the home will be restored and incorporated into the development, and the house has been empty and rotting for decades, not sure what there is to complain about...
Okay, okay! Geez.

In my defense, I didn't realize that it is not a historical building, likely because they did such a good job of making it look as such to blend in with the area, as MSE states above.

Carry on...

Old 02-06-2023, 11:07 AM

23 projects to watch - Billions of dollars in new development will shape the region for years to come

Nothing that we haven't really talked about before. Hope to see the building behind the Mutter Museum break ground soon. One of the final surface parking lots on the south side of west market street

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia