Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2023, 08:30 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Back on topic... Big news for the Rail Park.

Philly moves to wrest control of the Reading Viaduct from its litigious owner and create its own High Line
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230815.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2023, 08:30 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
I should caution everyone here that not everyone who lives in subsidized low-income housing is a lazy, shiftless, good-for-nothing freeloader.

That certainly doesn't describe the friend of mine who lived in such an apartment in the 1100 block of Pine Street, across from Mixto.

He was eligible because he received disability payments from Social Security. (It wasn't a physical disability, or at least not one that hampered his ability to move or think.)

He spent a good bit of his time on self-improvement projects and even wrote a couple of self-help books with his best friend (I edited both of them).

Maybe he's an exception that proves the rule, but blanket generalizations do many people an injustice.

Old 08-15-2023, 08:37 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Back on topic... Big news for the Rail Park.

Philly moves to wrest control of the Reading Viaduct from its litigious owner and create its own High Line
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20230815.html
That's good news, and I'm a fan of Paul Levy (and vice versa), but I agree with Inga's criticisms about who needs to sit around the table while the effort to get Reading International to cough up the viaduct already resumes.

Old 08-15-2023, 06:48 PM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I should caution everyone here that not everyone who lives in subsidized low-income housing is a lazy, shiftless, good-for-nothing freeloader.

That certainly doesn't describe the friend of mine who lived in such an apartment in the 1100 block of Pine Street, across from Mixto.

He was eligible because he received disability payments from Social Security. (It wasn't a physical disability, or at least not one that hampered his ability to move or think.)

He spent a good bit of his time on self-improvement projects and even wrote a couple of self-help books with his best friend (I edited both of them).

Maybe he's an exception that proves the rule, but blanket generalizations do many people an injustice.
For the record, I certainly understand that a percentage of those who live off taxpayers, do so with good intentions and sadly because of circumstances outside their control. However, I would garner this is a small percentage. Thus, while you say "... blanket generalizations do many people an injustice," I say "blanket gifts of free money to tens of thousands do taxpayers and general society an injustice."

Old 08-15-2023, 07:19 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit12 View Post
BUT, Conservative policies haven't destroyed every major city in America.

And, no, just no to Affirmative Action contractors.

Moving on ...
This seems like a good time to drop my bimonthly reminder that decades of scapegoating Philadelphians of color by Republicans near and far will guarantee overwhelming Democratic votes in the city for the foreseeable future.

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-15-2023 at 07:27 PM..

Old 08-15-2023, 07:24 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,160,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I share your opinions of using public transit, and I also understand your point about steering development to places that need it more (you might want to check out what the Nicetown CDC did on its side of Wayne Junction in this regard), but:

We already have affordable housing in the main section of our city and have had it since the 1970s at least. Both senior and low-income affordable housing dots Washington Square West, from two senior apartment complexes facing each other in the 800 block of Locust Street to the Casa Farnese (nee Casa Fermi) at 13th and Lombard to two 1970s rowhouse apartment developments in the 1200 block of Locust and the 1100 block of Pine to a row of rehabbed late-19th/early-20th-century rowhouses around the corner from the latter of those in the 250 block of South 13th Street. (I knew a friend who lived in one of the Pine Street apartments, and someone I see in the Gayborhood bars often enough (she's an older Black woman) lives in a Locust Street unit. I also knew two Casa Farnese residents and did caregiving for another (since deceased) disabled friend who managed to get into one of the other senior complexes, Saint George-Athenagoras Manor at 850 Locust.)

All of these were in place when I moved into Wash West in 1983.

The whole idea behind "scattered-site" low-income housing was to both stop concentrating poverty in large projects like the nearby MLK Plaza, since demolished and replaced with mixed-income rowhouses, and to give low-income residents the chance to live in a better environment than those projects. And I can attest that the scattered-site low-income projects in Wash West aren't hotbeds of crime. Sheesh, both Outfest and the Pride festival take place right in front of two of them.
To your point, I recall the John Fox (formerly Sidney Hillman) Towers building 22nd St just south of Market that has provided senior housing for many decades. Interestingly enough, it has attracted a lot of Asian residents (presumably Chinese given the bilingual signage inside) in recent years.

Old 09-05-2023, 10:03 AM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
59-unit mixed-use complex nearing completion in Fishtown

https://phillyyimby.com/2023/09/cons...-fishtown.html

Old 09-06-2023, 07:16 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post
59-unit mixed-use complex nearing completion in Fishtown

https://phillyyimby.com/2023/09/cons...-fishtown.html
Fantastic project.

Old 09-06-2023, 01:54 PM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
With the groundbreaking ceremony at Penn's Landing today, all four of Philadelphia's big public works projects for America 250 are underway. They are:

1. Penn's Landing Park and the South Street Pedestrian Bridge

The Alexander Calder Gardens

The FDR Meadows and Wetlands

Schuylkill Trail South Philly to SW Philly connector and pedestrian suspension bridge

All pretty good looking projects in my opinion

Old 09-07-2023, 07:00 AM

7,268 posts, read 10,587,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
With the groundbreaking ceremony at Penn's Landing today, all four of Philadelphia's big public works projects for America 250 are underway. They are:
Excellent, I'd honestly lost track of those other projects. I think with all of the weight of constant social media negativity, it's easy to forget that some pretty ambitious progress is still being made.

Also, important to note the Vine Street Expressway cap project is starting to really gain traction. That would truly be the icing on the cake for the city:

https://whyy.org/articles/chinatown-...concept-phase/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia