Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2022, 05:00 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Most of them will mellow out as they get older. Consider what a lot of us Boomers were doing in the 1960s.
True, but that was before the age of social media. None of us will really know the full affect for another 30ish years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2022, 10:58 AM

1,027 posts, read 445,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
University City Townhomes protesters interrupt Penn president’s speech

https://www.inquirer.com/news/univer...-20220830.html

Imagine if these "activists" put this much effort into finding the residents new homes? Or marching to city hall (where the real blame lives) instead of insisting Penn fix everything?

I don't mean to sound like our crime poster MPK21, but I can't get over that a majority of the protestors in the pictures are young white people. Even more amusing, one of the protestors quoted graduated from Penn with a double major, and now loathes the university she attended because of "penntrification". I'm sure she will sleep well tonight in her expensive Old City loft knowing she is helping those in need...

Once again, a real problem turns into a circus of manipulation, brainwash and misinformation, the "activists" arrive, the city escapes any blame, and the residents will soon be moved and forgotten...
This is hilarious...i don't mean to ''sound'' like MPK21...but you do. Why? Because it's facts based truth and you agree.

Old 09-02-2022, 10:59 AM

Quote:
D*mn, Chris, I don't want to sound like MPK21 either, but you're more right than wrong about the SJWs.

I recently moved to an apartment on Germantown's (nicer, generally but not uniformly more affluent) west side (where almost all of the neighborhood's white residents live, but not all of them: Rachel Street [Hestia Construction], the opera singer-turned-house flipper who I've written about on several occasions, sent one of her employees and her two adopted sons to move a sofabed into my apartment, and she is moving into and rehabbing this house in my old East Germantown Census tract; I SO wanted to feature it when it went on the market, but it sold in two weeks. Now I know who bought it), and I joked to several of my Black friends when I moved in that I knew there were white progressives living on my block because I counted three Black Lives Matter yard signs as I walked up the block to my digs from the bus stop.

And I got to see some of this in action as well at a Zoning Board of Adjustment hearing once where a project Ori Feibush wanted to build in Point Breeze was coming up for a zoning variance. The activist group voicing the loudest objections to it consisted mainly of young white folks, one of whom rented from Feibush in a building the next block down from the site. One older Black woman who was waiting to testify in support went out to smoke a cigarette; as she left, I heard her say, "Well, if you all are acting up like this, I'd build all around you, too."

But City Hall, I guess, makes for a less appealing target than a rich, well-endowed university — though what Penn has to do with UC Townhomes, I cannot figure out. Another option a lot of those protesting could probably do: Crowdfund an offer to buy the property from its owner and keep the affordable housing that way.
It's funny when posters can only agree or acknowledge when someone else states something etc that MPK21 has been saying..lol. Silence=agreement I guess.

Old 09-02-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Most of them will mellow out as they get older. Consider what a lot of us Boomers were doing in the 1960s.
What is considered ''older'' now though?

Lots of these ''kids'' are not kids and haven't been for a long time, at least on paper. The Penn students are one thing, 35 year olds sitting in interstates for criminals is another.

The generation that received participation trophies, never heard the word ''no'', and are exceptional generally and in everything they do...are now 40ish. Something doesn't go their way...change the rules or destroy/delete/remove the ''problem''...or they just start crying. lol

Old 09-02-2022, 04:27 PM

1,170 posts, read 590,192 times
https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ice-tower.html

I thought this project was pretty much dead, nice to see it on track. Though I am not a big fan of the original renderings, and would like to see something taller there. Pretty much my same thoughts as new MLB building (though this has about 50% more floor space).

If there is one proposed project (that isn't officially dead like the Mandeville) its 1301 Market Street
https://www.1301market.com/

Old 09-02-2022, 06:18 PM

463 posts, read 206,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post

I thought this project was pretty much dead, nice to see it on track. Though I am not a big fan of the original renderings, and would like to see something taller there. Pretty much my same thoughts as new MLB building (though this has about 50% more floor space).

If there is one proposed project (that isn't officially dead like the Mandeville) its 1301 Market Street
I really hope this goes forward. Skidmore Owings and Merrill is a top of the line architecture firm. I would love to see this come to fruition.

Old 09-03-2022, 07:45 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,323,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPK21 View Post
It's funny when posters can only agree or acknowledge when someone else states something etc that MPK21 has been saying..lol. Silence=agreement I guess.
You're right. I sometimes lead with disclaimers on these sites because interpretations can go left quickly since there is no in-person interaction. But yes, you often make good points on here.

Quote:

Great news This marks the 2nd non-medical tower to rise in the city this decade. Rumors that the tower floor count may increase, not sure if that will affect the height. Also great the Chubb is doubling down in the city.

I think 1301 Market will develop at some point, but not as proposed. Philly is due for another major hotel project, but that section of Market is kinda dark (literally) and grim, but that could change for the better in the coming years.

Mandeville Place is such a bummer. Dranoff should replicate that design for his Walnut Street plans (Sunoco site).

Old 09-03-2022, 09:08 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:

one proposed project that isnt officially dead...but what?

Clearly, like the Beury Building makeover, this project is a zombie. It will either escape from the ranks of the undead and spring back to life or it will die.

Old 09-03-2022, 09:11 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
You're right. I sometimes lead with disclaimers on these sites because interpretations can go left quickly since there is no in-person interaction. But yes, you often make good points on here.
Agreed also. I think what we both find disccomfiting is what we perceive as a meta-narrative rooted in bigotry, but that meta-narrative is not so strong as to allow his arguments to be dismissed out of hand; instead, he is someone who deserves to be engaged with.

Quote:
Mandeville Place is such a bummer. Dranoff should replicate that design for his Walnut Street plans (Sunoco site).
Maybe the next time I run into Carl, I'll ask him.

And speaking of Dranoff projects: Did you read my piece on the Arthaus penthouses? It began with a very personal lead that I enjoyed writing immensely.

Old 09-04-2022, 06:15 AM

7,736 posts, read 5,509,104 times
Quote:
Clearly, like the Beury Building makeover, this project is a zombie.
A considerable amount of work has gone in the Beury Building so I don't get this comment. 1301 Market is just up for development if a tenant comes along. The best of those types of proposals IMO is 2301 JFK: http://2301jfk.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia