Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 12:06 PM

1,304 posts, read 1,234,291 times

Advertisements

This is HUGE, possibly REVOLUTIONARY for Philadelphia's emergence as a world city!

Philadelphia to become World Heritage City this fall - Philadelphia Business Journal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 04:06 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
We'll after waiting what felt like years, I noticed today that North Broad is lined with trees now up to Glenwood Ave from City Hall. Now just those damn light posts. I almost can't believe they planted them. Someone has to tell Steeps

Old 07-09-2015, 04:19 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
We'll after waiting what felt like years, I noticed today that North Broad is lined with trees now up to Glenwood Ave from City Hall. Now just those damn light posts. I almost can't believe they planted them. Someone has to tell Steeps
Some flowers too I hope.... some flower planters hanging from street lights say "we are PROUD of our city too". It does have Tourist go away with a even better impression. Why I noted how nice The median on Columbus Blvd. Looked.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:25 PM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
http://www.uwishunu.com/wp-content/u...ights-comp.jpg

A rendering if you want to see the end result.

Old 07-09-2015, 04:37 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:

WHAT NO TREES CHICGO HAS LAWNS AND TREES

:shoc ked:: shocked::shock ed:

Old 07-09-2015, 06:12 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,879,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I said IF YOU NOTICED, Columbus Blvd looked NICE. And, yes, Chicago has trees AND lawns, AND NOT JUST BLAND ROWHOUSES. Trees are a good FIRST STEP, but there are still RESIDENTIAL BLOCKS IN DOWNTOWN.

Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 PM

2,535 posts, read 3,283,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

I was nice and so were you ... at first You misspelled CHiCaGo.... OMG

But now it will look like San Francisco's Broad Street through to its downtown. Just saw someone post a picture of SF and the Blvd. Caught my eye.

Why some think Trees mentioned in a Philly thread is Funny .. Oh you meant me. How stupid of me...

But tell that to the City planners and those who chose to add trees to Broad St and flowers on Columbus Blvd. It's your city. I chose Chicago back in a day... Helped I had relatives there. But I could have Chose Philly instead.

I do get amused reading post here as some do of my post too.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the link. It looks amazing! That picture makes North Broad look dense for miles back! I can't wait to head up there and see it for myself in person.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:58 PM

81 posts, read 183,553 times
For those of yOu who live im Philly, i was womdering is the city as a hole improving? I live about an hour north and go to philly a few times a year for the zoo and other occasions and i know it has lots of development going on, but i was wondering are areas around the zoo, i guess north philly?, improving as well? I hate the urban decay in the row homes in philly so im very optimistic about the future of philly.

Along with this, i am wondering is a majority of philly good or bad? Do the number of good neighborhoods outweigh the bad and vice versa.

Thank you

Old 07-09-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.C.H View Post
For those of yOu who live im Philly, i was womdering is the city as a hole improving? I live about an hour north and go to philly a few times a year for the zoo and other occasions and i know it has lots of development going on, but i was wondering are areas around the zoo, i guess north philly?, improving as well? I hate the urban decay in the row homes in philly so im very optimistic about the future of philly.

Along with this, i am wondering is a majority of philly good or bad? Do the number of good neighborhoods outweigh the bad and vice versa.

Thank you
A lot of Philly neighborhoods are improving outside of Center City, especially in North and West Philly!

If you're someone who considers the border between North Philly/Center City to be north of Vine, then yes, North Philly has been improving! Northern Liberties and Fishtown are on fire. Whole blocks are literally being rebuilt. Gentrification pressures are heading towards Kensington, and is evidenced by a ride on the El. If you look towards American Street, there are so many projects in the works! North Broad is now a tree-lined thoroughfare, which is a nicely added touch. The corner of North Broad/Fairmount/Ridge is about to get super interesting with the rehabilitation of the Divine Lorraine and 1300 Fairmount (though I haven't heard much about this in a while). Broad and Callowhill is about to get some nice infill where two massive surface lots currently sit.

Areas around the Zoo seem to be pretty stagnant to say the least. While not close, the Philadelphia 2035 calls for high density development around Lancaster Avenue and North 52nd Street. If you go east on Girard Avenue, however, Brewerytown and 29th Street south of Girard seem to be doing well. Strawberry Mansion is starting to gentrify. I know what I'm alluding to is North Philly, but it's proximal to the Zoo.

This is purely speculation, but a drive down 34th Street may take you to some of Philly's most expensive real estate in the future. With the 30th Street Station District Plan, Amtrak, SEPTA, Drexel, Brandywine, and others are working on a plan to cap SEPTA's Powelton Yard and Amtrak's Penn Coach Yard. This will open up a MASSIVE amount of new land prime for development, so long as a plan similar to CBD 2 is followed. With this infusion of new retail/commercial/office space, I can see Powelton Village and Mantua becoming over-the-top gentrified.

South Philly has historically been in good shape, but a lot of infill has been happening in Queen Village, Graduate Hospital (there is also a 375' CHOP tower planned here, too!), Bella Vista, Point Breeze, and other areas. There are two proposals for both huge Broad and Washington grass lots, so hopefully we will see something happen there soon. Washington Avenue has the potential to be "Downtown South Philly".

Southwest Philly is stagnant, save for Spruce Hill and areas northeast of 49th and Baltimore. Nothing major happening southwest of said intersection.

Parts of the Northeast are in decline from what I have heard, especially around Frankford Transportation Center. I also hear that Mayfair and Oxford Circle are going down the drain. Mayfair doesn't look bad at all from Roosevelt Boulevard, but, then again, I haven't actually visited that neighborhood since 2010/2011.

Northwest Philly still has Manayunk and East Falls to boast. Wissahickon, Roxborough, Shawmount, and Andorra all seem to be doing just fine. I'm not sure about the dense area around Stenton Avenue, but the area between Henry and Ridge Avenues seem to be stable, although I heard that some of the businesses along Ridge are under-performing according to the Philadelphia 2035 plan on the Lower Northwest.

Overall, Philadelphia has a lot of positive energy right here in the present, which will hopefully translate to a bright future for my beautiful city!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia