Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2018, 06:26 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Eh, I don’t know about that. We have established Meds and Eds which are only growing. We also have a strong entrepreneurial culture that could easily explode (start-up tech and small biopharm are already expanding substantially). Couple that with wealth moving into the city because it’s one of the last, if not THE last, remaining historically unique, artistically exceptional and gastronomically elite cities in the entire world, let alone the NE, of the U.S. that is even remotely affordable, and you have a strong base. This last point BTW might just populate this city from Oregon Ave through well beyond Lehigh Ave., river to river. The value prop for residing in Philly “as is” currently (and it’s only improving) is difficult to refute.

Now yes, if your proclivity leans toward Applebees, driving everywhere, cookie-cutter developments coupled with cookie-cutter clones of individuals, then the city is not for you. This is not a dig, BTW. I’ve lived in the city for decades, but recently moved in with my GF in South Jersey. We have a pool, garage, plenty of parking and quiet. But we also have extreme boredoem, zero culture and what I like to call “clone neighbors.” I literally can’t remember names bc everyone is very closely aligned in thought and familiar in hobbies and appearance.

But I digress, in summary, I believe Philly has exceeded expectations since the early 2000s and I don’t believe it plausible that we would lose ground. Now, to get to the next level, that’s debatable whether we can accomplish this with or without another Fortune 100 or even 500 company. Discuss.
Yes we have eds and meds and some large organizations and startups, but we don't have that total niche market yet whether it be in financials, technology or entertainment, Philadelphia has versatility which is great, but the city doesn't dominate one industry, I think that would be a catalyst to continued growth and attracting and keeping young talent.

An example would be if Comcast consolidated all operations into Philadelphia, another large financial institution, or HQ2, or the startup culture took off and became the East Coast Silicon Valley.

Of course the city has exceeded my expectations. Even when I started Drexel close to 10 years ago, U City and CC have changed exponentially. I more meant if Philadelphia is to get to the next level (NYC, DC, Chicago) they need more mega corporations, or at least become an outpost for second campuses. It has even been stated by some on here that they love the city, but often times opportunity takes them else wear, usually to our immediate neighbors.

I'm sure not everyone one here wants Philadelphia to be on the level of those cities, but I already see Philadelphia on that level, there just needs to be some fine tuning to showcase that to the world. (and cough cough new leadership).

And trust me I am not a suburban person lol, I was just pointing out the unique situation Philadelphia is in with the large amount of backwards commuting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 AM

In Queen Village, life imitates art, but with a Target store and too much parking | Inga Saffron - Philly

Not a bad looking building, but 149 parking spots!?

Old 05-24-2018, 07:19 AM

5,546 posts, read 6,868,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Let them drown in exhaust, noise, and congestion. These neighborhoods groups are full of idiots. Rather than discourage driving in walkable core neighborhood, they can't get enough parking, encouraging more. The single biggest thing I don't miss is the amount of traffic. No need for half of it.

Old 05-24-2018, 08:50 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Yes we have eds and meds and some large organizations and startups, but we don't have that total niche market yet whether it be in financials, technology or entertainment, Philadelphia has versatility which is great, but the city doesn't dominate one industry, I think that would be a catalyst to continued growth and attracting and keeping young talent.

An example would be if Comcast consolidated all operations into Philadelphia, another large financial institution, or HQ2, or the startup culture took off and became the East Coast Silicon Valley.

Of course the city has exceeded my expectations. Even when I started Drexel close to 10 years ago, U City and CC have changed exponentially. I more meant if Philadelphia is to get to the next level (NYC, DC, Chicago) they need more mega corporations, or at least become an outpost for second campuses. It has even been stated by some on here that they love the city, but often times opportunity takes them else wear, usually to our immediate neighbors.

I'm sure not everyone one here wants Philadelphia to be on the level of those cities, but I already see Philadelphia on that level, there just needs to be some fine tuning to showcase that to the world. (and cough cough new leadership).

And trust me I am not a suburban person lol, I was just pointing out the unique situation Philadelphia is in with the large amount of backwards commuting.
In the broader HQ2 thread there's a link to a Forbes article where it talks about how our HQ2 presentation is bring noticed by some global companies who would not have considered basing any operations here. To them what we put together was very impressive. And, btw, the local leadership you keep bashing put that package together. It would be great if we truly get some nice things out of it. Reminder. Older Millennials will be hitting middle age soon. Prove how worthwhile you are.

Old 05-30-2018, 06:45 AM

Big North Philly station project backers should chase public cash and team with Temple, study says

Old 05-30-2018, 11:21 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Post Brothers buys $44M stake in The Piazza from Kushner Companies

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/5/30/...hern-liberties

Old 06-02-2018, 09:01 AM

Is LOVE Park inclusive - or hostile? How the 'war on sitting' is changing public spaces - Philly

Another silly article about the new Love Park. There benches in Rittenhouse have arm rests in the middle to prevent homeless from sleeping on them too. I don't see the problem here....

Old 06-02-2018, 09:29 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,749,363 times
Quote:
Is LOVE Park inclusive - or hostile? How the 'war on sitting' is changing public spaces - Philly

Another silly article about the new Love Park. There benches in Rittenhouse have arm rests in the middle to prevent homeless from sleeping on them too. I don't see the problem here....
Well, plenty of homeless people "park" on the Rittenhouse Sq benches.

Old 06-02-2018, 11:50 AM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:

Agree. I don’t see it as the parks and rec’s mission to ensure all of our parks provide a comforatable spot for the homeless to sleep and for those using opioids to crash.

Just returned from lunch and errands and made it a point to visit Love Park now that the fountain is operational. Well, it’s not. Wonder why.

Homelessness aside, I don’t see the backless benches as inviting places to linger. As for those complaining that the park doesn’t offer a lot of shade, we need to give it time for the trees to grow. There’s plenty of room for a few more trees, however. I wouldn’t have made the hard surface as large as it is, but maybe there’s a way to soften it with planters or some other means. The rehabbed visitor center will bring a bit more dimension to the park, as well.

Just like moving to a new home, it takes time to arrange things the way we like. I’m sure adjustments will be made to the park after we’ve lived with it for a while. I know that’s not a ringing endorsement. On the other hand, I don't think the park is the abysmal failure its critics claim it to be.

Old 06-07-2018, 07:38 PM

Sixteen Stories For Long Vacant Triangle on Spring Garden Street? - OCF Realty

16 stories coming to 12th and Spring Garden! No renderings yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia