Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2018, 08:44 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
One of the things I know about this city's political culture is that it's highly transactional and depends a lot on personal connections: "Whose guy is he?"

Now, there's not a political culture around where favor-trading and personal connections play no role in getting things done. But in the more corrupt or machine-style cultures, what differs is the purpose for trading the favors and what the connections are used to advance.

Philadelphia's political culture is quite similar to Chicago's. (This isn't an insight that's original to me. It comes by way of a Republican transportation/tech type I know who's a transplant from Illinois and grew up outside Chicago.) The difference here is that the "machine" doesn't have as tight a grip on the levers of power at City Hall as the one in Chicago did. There is room for some of the more issue-oriented political style that characterizes cities like Boston, New York or San Francisco.

I have no suggestions as to how you go about changing this save for the they-need-to-travel one I shared above.
I just can't resist.... you are not to mention Chicago. NYC is fine to compare. People do not like this city mentioned in a Philly forum. I would just add..... perhaps a go-getter mayor tips things in getting things done too .... in machine politics. Big business and corrupt politicians should be making big deals. Or steals .... but depends on things chosen that drives the person pushing the gears of this machine and greasing them.... NYC does it. and this unmentionable city I have been told I mention too much.

Machine politics is far from best. Still I give it to one city that at least gets corporate America donating to the cities pet projects. It isn't just for stadium naming rights. But still cities can learn from each other. At least for things good that gets done and built. Still you don't want a broke city. But one not always seeing big projects as unaffordable and less gets done as they get killed in planning or after. Or much less then originally conceived.

Philly has been getting some note worthy ones. But always you read more disappointment and bit of a letdown then full blown success. Partly because the lesser scale gets chosen.....

Last edited by DavePa; 07-24-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2018, 10:22 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,038,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
I just can't resist.... you are not to mention Chicago.

(snippage)

Philly has been getting some note worthy ones. But always you read more disappointment and bit of a letdown then full blown success. Partly because the lesser scale gets chosen.....
I've sometimes remarked that the difference between the two cities is that in Chicago, the voters get something in exchange for the graft.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:56 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
I just can't resist.... you are not to mention Chicago. NYC is fine to compare. People do not like this city mentioned in a Philly forum. I would just add..... perhaps a go-getter mayor tips things in getting things done too .... in machine politics. Big business and corrupt politicians should be making big deals. Or steals .... but depends on things chosen that drives the person pushing the gears of this machine and greasing them.... NYC does it. and this unmentionable city I have been told I mention too much.

Machine politics is far from best. Still I give it to one city that at least gets corporate America donating to the cities pet projects. It isn't just for stadium naming rights. But still cities can learn from each other. At least for things good that gets done and built. Still you don't want a broke city. But one not always seeing big projects as unaffordable and less gets done as they get killed in planning or after. Or much less then originally conceived.

Illinois is one of the most politically corrupt states in the nation, and Chicago is not immune to that.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with Chicago, I certianly don't, my problem is when mentally questionable people post absurd run-on sentences with random capital letter booting Chicago and taking shots at Philadelphia. Heck, I even defended Chicago in the World Class thread.

Ever since you created that troll thread about Philadelphia, I no longer take anything you say seriously, and most of the time it is a mish mash of "Chicago does everything better...." "Philadelphia can't do anything right..."

Old 07-25-2018, 12:26 PM

Carl Dranoff now plans shorter tower at Broad and Spruce Streets with no hotel rooms - Philly

Could it finally be happening? Height is shrinking about 70ft to 542Ft, but I hope the original renderings are still in play.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:36 PM

https://philly.curbed.com/2018/7/25/...rtments-condos

And groundbreaking for the Laurel is in 3 weeks now?
Apparently they are ahead of schedule by over 6 months. If Curbed is correct, this is very exciting! Keep an eye everyone if you are near Rittenhouse.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:00 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,250,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Carl Dranoff now plans shorter tower at Broad and Spruce Streets with no hotel rooms - Philly

Could it finally be happening? Height is shrinking about 70ft to 542Ft, but I hope the original renderings are still in play.
Inga actually liked the original renderings. Her first for a Dranoff property, I believe.

Not surprised about the hotel. This should uncomplicate things for Dranoff. Still a signature skyscraper at that site.

I’ve heard a September start. Fingers crossed. I’m so tired of that weed-filled hole.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine to Vine View Post
Inga actually liked the original renderings. Her first for a Dranoff property, I believe.

Not surprised about the hotel. This should uncomplicate things for Dranoff. Still a signature skyscraper at that site.

I’ve heard a September start. Fingers crossed. I’m so tired of that weed-filled hole.
If the Laurel and this start around the same time, the city will be replacing two large embarrassing lots with two snazzy residential towers, great news!

Old 07-25-2018, 05:50 PM

37,119 posts, read 39,337,475 times
Quote:
King of Prussia

Glen Mills

Those are the two that are in full development mode. West Chester would be amazing, but that is a stretch at this point.
Quote:
King of Prussia isn't Regional Rail, it's light metro: a spur of the Norristown High-Speed Line (Route 100), a line that combines rapid-transit-style operations with light-rail-style vehicles (though the cars currently working the line are heavier than they were supposed to be).

They'd love to see Regional Rail service restored to Phoenixville, which like West Chester is ideally suited for it. It's on the same railroad line that once provided service to Reading and Valley Forge, so it's doable at least in principle. But the line's not electrified, and SEPTA has shown little interest in doing things that could bring service back to non-electrified territory. A solution exists and is already in service on some other railroads that operate both under wire and away from it: dual-mode locomotives hauling unpowered passenger coaches.
Trains to West Chester and Phoenixville would be amazing. 2035 is still some time away.

Old 07-25-2018, 08:20 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,238,711 times
Quote:
Illinois is one of the most politically corrupt states in the nation, and Chicago is not immune to that.

I don't think anyone here has a problem with Chicago, I certianly don't, my problem is when mentally questionable people post absurd run-on sentences with random capital letter booting Chicago and taking shots at Philadelphia. Heck, I even defended Chicago in the World Class thread.

Ever since you created that troll thread about Philadelphia, I no longer take anything you say seriously, and most of the time it is a mish mash of "Chicago does everything better...." "Philadelphia can't do anything right..."
True that Illinois is in financial trouble. But NJ is giving it a run for the honor I've read ... some even saying worse.

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...lp_from_n.html

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/newjersey

Both states finances are in the sewer.

But honestly, you need some thicker skin. Remain calm and civil. I'm probably more then twice your age. This is getting personal and if my occasional post in the Philly forum causes you severe stress? May I suggest the IGNORE. Clearly, you should be able to defend any unfair or cheap shots you feel are setting you off like a Donald Trump for its honor (if need be) and not feel rude follow-ups are a good defense.

Again, we reference other cities we know, lived or visited and seen projects and improvements there that you can see it for Philly too. I've seen you reference NYC and wish Philly did things you see and note there.

CHILL OUT PLEASE.
Quote:
I've sometimes remarked that the difference between the two cities is that in Chicago, the voters get something in exchange for the graft.
Yes... kinda true. The corrupt machine politics there .... still manages to get things done, passed through hurdles and built. Just seems whoever chooses improvements and projects there? They clearly do their homework and chose top architects and less settling on the cheapest alternative. The city seems to put a squeeze on corporations also... to sponsor and donate to key projects too. Of course .... no doubt there is something in it for that corporation too in return.

Clearly we all want the best for Philly too. More slender high-rises and taller to less NIMBYISM slowing down and quenching plans.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
True that Illinois is in financial trouble. But NJ is giving it a run for the honor I've read ... some even saying worse.

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ss...lp_from_n.html

https://www.mercatus.org/statefiscalrankings/newjersey

Both states finances are in the sewer.

But honestly, you need some thicker skin. Remain calm and civil. I'm probably more then twice your age. This is getting personal and if my occasional post in the Philly forum causes you severe stress? May I suggest the IGNORE. Clearly, you should be able to defend any unfair or cheap shots you feel are setting you off like a Donald Trump for its honor (if need be) and not feel rude follow-ups are a good defense.

Again, we reference other cities we know, lived or visited and seen projects and improvements there that you can see it for Philly too. I've seen you reference NYC and wish Philly did things you see and note there.

CHILL OUT PLEASE.

Yes... kinda true. The corrupt machine politics there .... still manages to get things done, passed through hurdles and built. Just seems whoever chooses improvements and projects there? They clearly do their homework and chose top architects and less settling on the cheapest alternative. The city seems to put a squeeze on corporations also... to sponsor and donate to key projects too. Of course .... no doubt there is something in it for that corporation too in return.

Clearly we all want the best for Philly too. More slender high-rises and taller to less NIMBYISM slowing down and quenching plans.
Im chill... If I was uptight or stressed I would report you.
I just call out BS when I see it, That to me is the definition of thick skin, welcome to Philadelphia.

I find it more concerning that you create troll threads in your free time.

So I'll grant your wish and never address you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia