Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2022, 02:18 PM

2,212 posts, read 1,454,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
GO is the Overstock.com of grocery stores. If you see something you like, and it's priced really cheap, buy it now, and buy lots of it (assuming it's either not perishable or that you can freeze it), for it may not be there on my next trip.

I actually scored an Instant Pot 7-in-1 model (the middle of the line) at that GO for $69.99 a month and a half ago. Those usually retail for $110+.

I think we may need to revive the Grocery Shopping thread (I believe there was one on this board a while back.) Edited to add: And here it is:

Groceries, Grocery Stores & Supermarkets | City-Data Forum

I'm about to post something I wrote for Phillymag to it that I think you will find entertaining. Especially my charitable take on Save-a-Lot.
Noted. No wonder the woman ahead of me at checkout had about fifty bags of the same hot cereal. Lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2022, 05:51 AM

7,740 posts, read 5,524,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
I guess this plan keeps with the sea of strip malls and parking in that area.

Proposed shopping center to bring Shake Shack, Raising Cane's and Lidl to South Philadelphia

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ing-canes.html

Under plans filed with the city, a 6.2-acre property at 16 Snyder Ave. will be razed and replaced with six detached structures for retail tenants including Lidl, Shake Shack, Raising Cane's Chicken Fingers, Advanced Auto Parts and Chase Bank.

This is a big improvement. I don't think people realize how popular John's Roast Pork has got. It's not great having an old industrial factory next door. It's very out of place in the 2020s and I am excited to get a solid line-up of stores to replace it.

People will complain about "it not being a walkable development", but frankly, it doesn't matter until there's real road configurations on Columbus Ave. What could be used is a nicer bus station in the middle on Snyder. Right now, it just drops you off on the sidewalk.

Old 10-06-2022, 06:49 AM

752 posts, read 461,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
This is a big improvement. I don't think people realize how popular John's Roast Pork has got. It's not great having an old industrial factory next door. It's very out of place in the 2020s and I am excited to get a solid line-up of stores to replace it.
Not sure about that. So what John's Roast Park was missing as far as "ambiance" was being next to yet another suburban shopping center?

Maybe John's can move into one of the stores in the strip mall?!! Now were talkin'! or sh*t, move it to a strip mall in Bensalem; now that's what I call 2020s!

Old 10-06-2022, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post
Not sure about that. So what John's Roast Park was missing as far as "ambiance" was being next to yet another suburban shopping center?

Maybe John's can move into one of the stores in the strip mall?!! Now were talkin'! or sh*t, move it to a strip mall in Bensalem; now that's what I call 2020s!

This is an awful take. Anyone who thinks an abandoned ghetto factory with trash on the side of it that blows in the wind is a great look while people stand there waiting for a cheesesteak on their visit to Philadelphia is a moron.

There's an abandoned factory in the middle of one of the most popular shopping plazas and we are complaining it's getting replaced by some of the most popular chains. Wooo so sad, Bensalem.. smfh

Old 10-06-2022, 08:40 AM

I'm sorry, but every single thing lately there seems to be a NIMBY to fly out of the woodwork to complain.. Be it industrial blight. Be it an abandoned golf course. So so many other things too.

Old 10-06-2022, 03:07 PM

14,196 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHL10 View Post

It's already across the street from a strip mall on steroids: Snyder Plaza.

Old 10-07-2022, 06:41 AM

9,381 posts, read 9,349,798 times
^ It would have a been a good spot to introduce a larger mixed-use project. It could kick start other efforts to development some of the other parking lots in the area. But I still view the project as an upgrade over the current rotting facility.

It would be cool if the developer could save the corner building and somehow integrate that into the design. A little historic character could make a basic shopping center look a lot cooler.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.9212...7i16384!8i8192

Old 10-07-2022, 10:39 AM

Groundbreaking ceremony for CHOPS new tower next week! Also the article focuses on a great addition to Delaware County.

CHOP's new $85M logistics center in Delco will help support multibillion-dollar building boom

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadel...ics-declo.html

CHOP next week is hosting a groundbreaking ceremony for its $600 million, 470,000-square-foot Schuylkill Avenue Research Building adjacent to the Roberts Center for Pediatric Research. A 22-story, 300-bed patient tower being built next to its main hospital building is set to open in 2024.

Old 10-08-2022, 08:12 AM

Vesper Day Club meets the wrecking ball after a decade of boozy pool parties in Northern Liberties

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20221007.html

The city issued demolition permits in July to prominent developer Ori Feibush, whose firm acquired the two parcels that made up the venue earlier this year, according to public records. OCF Realty has submitted plans to build 36 single-family residential units replete with parking and roof decks on the site of the storied swim club. Construction is expected to break ground before the year’s end.

Vesper ownership could not immediately be reached for comment. According to the swim club’s website, however, the club is relocating for summer 2023.

Old 10-10-2022, 06:12 AM

The Neon Museum of Philadelphia closing its doors as it searches for new home

American St. was always a bad location for a museum / entertainment attraction like this. I never went. It needs to be around Old City where tourists hangout.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia