Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 07:12 AM

273 posts, read 206,773 times

Advertisements

Leaving New York to Find the American Dream in Philadelphia

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/n...mmigrants.html

Quote:
Immigrant or hipster, there’s a chief reason for choosing Philadelphia over New York: Cost of living. The American dream feels more attainable in Philadelphia at the moment.
Quote:
Part of New York’s function, the study said, is to “receive large flows of foreign migrants and to redistribute people across the nation.” Those redistributed to Philadelphia will find a town on a winning streak. The population of the city is growing for the first time in decades, buoyed by both immigrants and millennials in Center City drawn by the luxury of living, working and drinking within the same few blocks. The skyline is rapidly expanding on both sides of the Schuylkill, punctuated by the nearly complete Comcast tower, the tallest building in the city.
Good stuff here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 07:38 AM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mslhu View Post
Leaving New York to Find the American Dream in Philadelphia

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/20/n...mmigrants.html

Good stuff here.
Great article. The New York Times has released some very good articles showcasing Philadelphia over the last few years. Unlike the Washington Post which always seems to give backhanded compliments to the city.

I am glad the writer addressed that silly "6th borough" comment from a while back.

A correction though, Philadelphia lost the capital to DC not NYC.

Old 07-20-2018, 07:47 AM

6,203 posts, read 3,541,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The problem is that ONE party politics makes it extremely unlikely for competition to be realistic. And I don't like Republicans any more than Democrats. The machine and its control is very real.
"Tammany Hall" politics at its best.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
The problem is that ONE party politics makes it extremely unlikely for competition to be realistic. And I don't like Republicans any more than Democrats. The machine and its control is very real.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Re Nutter. All why we miss him.

I suppose one could say mayoral competence is cyclical.

Over the last 30 years we've had Wilson Goode who allowed a segment of a very intact/nice, majority black, Cobbs Creek neighborhood to be bombed and burned up all to evict MOVE in 1985. Dozens of Philadelphians lost their homes and were never made right because it.

Next was Ed Rendell, a wonderkin NY native, who first got everyone's attention by becoming Phila. DA at the age of 35! His admin is when people seriously began to believe that Philadelphia could see a new day. He went on to become PA gov.

Then John Street who could have been a good mayor. But when the FBI decides there's a reason to bug your offices there's likely probable cause. In the midst of the Street era was Sam Katz who ran against him twice and almost won the first time as a Republican. Katz switched parties as a ploy and became the only viable Rep. mayoral candidate in decades. It would have been a stunning defeat for local Democrats since, as stated, Katz almost won. What would a Mayor Katz have been like? A lot like Nutter was, imo.

Nutter was next which you read about. And now we have incompetence again with Kenney.
Interesting history. I remember reading somewhere (not reliable, I know), that PA liked to consider itself part of New England, I find Philadelphia to be more like the south (New Orleans comes to mind, where I lived for 2 years) and the history you describe supports that.

Old 07-20-2018, 08:58 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
Interesting history. I remember reading somewhere (not reliable, I know), that PA liked to consider itself part of New England, I find Philadelphia to be more like the south (New Orleans comes to mind, where I lived for 2 years) and the history you describe supports that.
Different parts of Pennsylvania could lean towards other geographic sections. Philadelphia & South Jersey are MidAtlantic, without a doubt.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:01 AM

1,213 posts, read 953,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Great article. The New York Times has released some very good articles showcasing Philadelphia over the last few years. Unlike the Washington Post which always seems to give backhanded compliments to the city.

I am glad the writer addressed that silly "6th borough" comment from a while back.

A correction though, Philadelphia lost the capital to DC not NYC.
Not sure I'd say this article is so flattering to our city. I know the story focus is on immigrants leaving NYC for greener pastures, but the pictures and narrative imply to me that Philadelphia is a "cheap" and slightly "run down" city that is a haven for ethnic groups who run basic mom and pops, are small time landlords, or otherwise involved in non-profit type businesses. There is no mention of immigrants coming here and starting tech businesses (many have and do) or opening high-end restaurants in center city, or opening a successful law firm, etc... I'm actually a little disappointed in what I would call lazy journalism. Looks like the journalist spent an evening at the Bok bar, took some pics from there, and then interviewed a handful of people who were probably provided to her...

Old 07-20-2018, 10:09 AM

192 posts, read 160,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsport View Post
Not sure I'd say this article is so flattering to our city. I know the story focus is on immigrants leaving NYC for greener pastures, but the pictures and narrative imply to me that Philadelphia is a "cheap" and slightly "run down" city that is a haven for ethnic groups who run basic mom and pops, are small time landlords, or otherwise involved in non-profit type businesses. There is no mention of immigrants coming here and starting tech businesses (many have and do) or opening high-end restaurants in center city, or opening a successful law firm, etc... I'm actually a little disappointed in what I would call lazy journalism. Looks like the journalist spent an evening at the Bok bar, took some pics from there, and then interviewed a handful of people who were probably provided to her...
The title of the article is "Leaving New York to Find the American Dream in Philadelphia." Don't let your innate Negadelphian attitude ruin this. Trust me, it's a fairly flattering article.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
The title of the article is "Leaving New York to Find the American Dream in Philadelphia." Don't let your innate Negadelphian attitude ruin this. Trust me, it's a fairly flattering article.
I have discovered during my 6 months here, that it's a fine line between reality and negadelphian attitudes and as with most things, in the eye of the beholder. City Center may be the primary tourist attraction draw (as well it should be), but it is not representative of Philadelphia as a whole. Although I think the article does reflect accurately the neighborhoods it portrays, it could have been more thorough which I think would have shown the city in a more positive light.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:36 AM

192 posts, read 160,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah5555 View Post
I have discovered during my 6 months here, that it's a fine line between reality and negadelphian attitudes and as with most things, in the eye of the beholder. City Center may be the primary tourist attraction draw (as well it should be), but it is not representative of Philadelphia as a whole. Although I think the article does reflect accurately the neighborhoods it portrays, it could have been more thorough which I think would have shown the city in a more positive light.
City Center? Do you mean Center City?

Here is the WNYC on-air piece. Sorry, but this is great PR.
https://www.wnyc.org/story/new-yorks...-philadelphia/

Old 07-20-2018, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLondoner View Post
City Center? Do you mean Center City?

Here is the WNYC on-air piece. Sorry, but this is great PR.
https://www.wnyc.org/story/new-yorks...-philadelphia/
Ugh yes, Center City. Need more coffee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia