Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 03:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,834 times

Advertisements

If the OP wanted to stay in Philly and raise a kid, she could. Other's have done it, it's not impossible. Middle class families do it all the time, but if the OP doesn't like Philadelphia then so be it.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:04 PM

36 posts, read 45,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggy0128 View Post
This place is NOT where I want my son to grow up....I'm out within a year or so. Philly is no place to be a single mom!
AMEN. Me too.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:49 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times
Quote:
Well cpomp if that's a "hissy fit" so be it. And the moderately priced Burbs (Darby,Yeadon,Lansdowne,Sharon Hill,Folcroft, etc) are becoming Section 8 Havens. Like I said. Philly is going to the real estate developers and QUICKLY. My oppinion for ME is its not the place for me to further establish myself. Will always take delight in coming back to visit my family and friends. But me....Da'Javon.....I'm OUT. If the fact I don't find my future here offends you, idk what to tell you

where do you plan on moving?

Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 AM

2,006 posts, read 4,306,974 times
Then why make a post about it? I'm curious to what exactly your budget is.

No one should have to worry about they're child catching a bullet, but its an unfortunate occurrence. I look at Philly from an outsider's POV but imo honest opinion there's nothing but potential there. Why complain about a 90k rowhouse? do you know how much it would go for if it was in NYC/Boston or DC? If you don't like your surroundings then just quietly move on, sometimes you gotta vent and thats that but why not use some of that energy in planning the move and making sure your seed is alright.

best of luck to you and your son with your move

Old 08-02-2011, 11:54 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wordlife View Post
Then why make a post about it? I'm curious to what exactly your budget is.

No one should have to worry about they're child catching a bullet, but its an unfortunate occurrence. I look at Philly from an outsider's POV but imo honest opinion there's nothing but potential there. Why complain about a 90k rowhouse? do you know how much it would go for if it was in NYC/Boston or DC? If you don't like your surroundings then just quietly move on, sometimes you gotta vent and thats that but why not use some of that energy in planning the move and making sure your seed is alright.

best of luck to you and your son with your move
I,ve been listening to that same song and dance now for over 15 years, about how Philly is up and coming and has potential. The truth is don,t hold your breath.

Old 08-02-2011, 01:16 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
Quote:
THIS IS HYSTERICAL!
but this place is going to the Real Estate developers who came in and uprooted sooooo many people out of their homes in North Philly because some clown realized OMG!! This is prime real estate! Forget these rowhomes these hard working blacks nd hispanics put so much into getting ntting and raising their families in! BUILD CONDOS!!!
Love when poor people complain about gentrification, especially relating to North Philly. Real estate developers and Temple are trying to make North Philly nicer and safer by ridding it of crack houses and people complain? Absolutely unreal. Same people who have no problem taking government handouts too.

Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 PM

17 posts, read 27,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
Love when poor people complain about gentrification, especially relating to North Philly. Real estate developers and Temple are trying to make North Philly nicer and safer by ridding it of crack houses and people complain? Absolutely unreal. Same people who have no problem taking government handouts too.

Excuse me, what are you implying?

It would be something different if they were ridding the area of drugs and blight for thr beneft of the good folks who live there.

BUT INSTEAD OF BETTERING THE NEIGHBORHOOD THEY ARE PRICING THE WORKING POOR\MIDDLE CLASS OUT OF THE AREA!!

No oddense to anyone, but everytime some rich white guy realizes the hood would be a nice place for high end real estate if it weren't the hood, the city allows them to uproot everyone!

And let me, a working,black single mom put you on to something. Don't be so quick to judge those on ANY type of public assistance. With this economy, you have educated, white collar executives who are now on Medicaid and swiping a food stamp card at the grocery store, so ur statement was plain IGNORANT and insensitive.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:26 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,211 times
Quote:
Excuse me, what are you implying?

It would be something different if they were ridding the area of drugs and blight for thr beneft of the good folks who live there.

BUT INSTEAD OF BETTERING THE NEIGHBORHOOD THEY ARE PRICING THE WORKING POOR\MIDDLE CLASS OUT OF THE AREA!!

No oddense to anyone, but everytime some rich white guy realizes the hood would be a nice place for high end real estate if it weren't the hood, the city allows them to uproot everyone!

And let me, a working,black single mom put you on to something. Don't be so quick to judge those on ANY type of public assistance. With this economy, you have educated, white collar executives who are now on Medicaid and swiping a food stamp card at the grocery store, so ur statement was plain IGNORANT and insensitive.
I'm not implying anything. We're trying to clean up the area, but people like you come along and complain that we're driving minorities out. No we're not. We're knocking down crack houses and putting in new businesses. No one is throwing you out of your homes.

No one who is white collar is using food stamps. They're not white collar if they're on food stamps.

If you cant afford to live in Philly, move to somewhere you can afford without whining. Philly's not even an expensive city. In fact, it's one of the most affordable cities in the country.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:44 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,220,377 times
Quote:

DO U HAVE ANY IDEA HOW MUCH IT COSTS TO LIVE IN THESE AREAS?

As I said. I want to move somehwere where u get more for your money. I'm not paying 90K for anybodys rowhouse. And I don't have half a million for a condo overlooking rittenhouse square either.

So don't try to tell me my view of the city I was born and raised in isn't accurate.come to west philly. You'll see just why I love tis place,but u will ALSO see why I want to leave!
You can't buy a row home anywhere in Center City for $90,000. Especially not in Rittenhouse. They start at about $500,000.

You might get a studio or one bedroom overlooking the park for $500,000 but 2 bedrooms and up will be $700,000 to (well) over a million.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
Are we talking about the same Rittenhouse where the still at large Rittenhouse rapist likes to frequent?
We have lived in Philadelphia for 3 years and own a house in Rittenhouse. I have never heard of a Rittenhouse rapist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I'm not implying anything. We're trying to clean up the area, but people like you come along and complain that we're driving minorities out. No we're not. We're knocking down crack houses and putting in new businesses. No one is throwing you out of your homes.

No one who is white collar is using food stamps. They're not white collar if they're on food stamps.

If you cant afford to live in Philly, move to somewhere you can afford without whining. Philly's not even an expensive city. In fact, it's one of the most affordable cities in the country.
Agree Philly is very reasonably priced compared to a lot of cities and is a far better place to live than most.

Having said that I would hate to be really poor here, so I see why poor people here complain. The bad areas do suck.

Old 08-03-2011, 12:26 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,006,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
You can't buy a row home anywhere in Center City for $90,000. Especially not in Rittenhouse. They start at about $500,000.

You might get a studio or one bedroom overlooking the park for $500,000 but 2 bedrooms and up will be $700,000 to (well) over a million.

We have lived in Philadelphia for 3 years and own a house in Rittenhouse. I have never heard of a Rittenhouse rapist.

Agree Philly is very reasonably priced compared to a lot of cities and is a far better place to live than most.

Having said that I would hate to be really poor here, so I see why poor people here complain. The bad areas do suck.

It would never be a such thing as a rittenhouse rapist the way the police patrols the rittenhouse area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia