Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:16 PM

16 posts, read 30,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
if you had any reading comprehension skills you'd know that the clinic for factory workers is still going to exist. it's included in the plans for the new building. your whole Philadelphia hating act in the guise of a "truth seeking intellectual" is already tired. how about we move on and call it a day?

Stop confusing Hate with Facts. The clinic is a promise not a final. You conveniently parsed out a segment of the statement like a soundbite and avoid the crux of the issue.

By responding with calling me a person of "hate", you attempt to silence this debate by vilifying. However, I will give you some benefit of the doubt because further introspection into this word "hate" has rendered you somewhat credible as Merriam-Webster has documented.

Definition of Hate- intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury.

Hate - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

PS: With all due respect there is an aversion of many people writing on here who are having feelings deriving from FEAR and ANGER and SENSE of INJURY- perhaps you're on to something.

Thank you for the insight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM

159 posts, read 317,140 times
I think it's worth mentioning that London is currently undergoing the worst riot it's had in almost thirty years. I have a friend who's stuck in the middle of everything and says it's practically apocalyptic.

Mass acts of violence are definitely not exclusive to Philadelphia. Even these unprovoked 'flash mobs'.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:04 PM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skydivers-in-reverse View Post
I think it's worth mentioning that London is currently undergoing the worst riot it's had in almost thirty years. I have a friend who's stuck in the middle of everything and says it's practically apocalyptic.

Mass acts of violence are definitely not exclusive to Philadelphia. Even these unprovoked 'flash mobs'.
Exactly. Not to downplay the severity of the situation with "flash mobs," but perspective is important. In Center City, you'd have much more of a chance of getting hit by a car/bus than being caught up in an random attack involving young hoodlums. That's not to say we should avoid walking on the sidewalks in CC for the rest of our lives. One should always be aware of their surroundings.

Last edited by Duderino; 08-08-2011 at 03:26 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 02:56 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanShaman View Post
For you to understand- Me thinks me needs an Iron hat to protect me from da thugz out deah. No need q-pon- cuz no have job or munny.
Sorry, but I don't take well to bait. My opinion hasn't changed since this post:

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-09-2011 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 08-08-2011, 11:46 PM

57 posts, read 122,183 times
To UrbanShaman, While we may agree on the underlying social issues of Philadelphia. I do have hope for the city. I think that these issues are also a problem through out the country. The gap between the rich and the poor has grown to its largest in nearly a hundred years. I do not see Philly as an extension of NYC because of its distinct culture and history. I think someone from the city government is reading this thread because of what they did today. I think jobs and education are the key. The cities new comprehensive plan puts a lot of focus on the neighborhoods not just center city. I think welfare reform is needed as well. I think change also has to come from with in the community too. Eventually a balance will be reached from this transitional period for the city. My hope is that people will spend more time on the cause not just its outcome.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:08 AM

Default Acting Holy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
You're acting like you're talking some kind of holy stand. This forum is consistently flash-mobbed by people who have nothing worthwhile to add about the city. At some point, people get tired of it.

I'm sorry this is the perception you are receiving. It's a much more serious situation than assuming one is seeking some self serving holier than thou ego- I assure you.

I don't know how anyone with a conscious can forget it all and get "tired" of continuous violence and abuse of innocent people like it's some bad re-run on TVland.

Perhaps it's my Screen Name that mislead you.

Last edited by UrbanShaman; 08-09-2011 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: grammer

Old 08-09-2011, 12:46 AM

Default I hope so

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike 80 View Post
To UrbanShaman, While we may agree on the underlying social issues of Philadelphia. I do have hope for the city. I think that these issues are also a problem through out the country. The gap between the rich and the poor has grown to its largest in nearly a hundred years. I do not see Philly as an extension of NYC because of its distinct culture and history. I think someone from the city government is reading this thread because of what they did today. I think jobs and education are the key. The cities new comprehensive plan puts a lot of focus on the neighborhoods not just center city. I think welfare reform is needed as well. I think change also has to come from with in the community too. Eventually a balance will be reached from this transitional period for the city. My hope is that people will spend more time on the cause not just its outcome.
I think the Fed Gov is reading this and putting heat on City OFF- icials. I did not expect such feedback from this thread. My heart weeps for what I see when I enter the city in which I was born and reared. The greed is so prevalent in getting CC built up. Yet the surrounding established neighborhoods are crumbling both in social aspects and infrastructure. Even Chinatown has been on the "hit list" disrupting a century old neighborhood by attempting to put gambling halls and huger than life hotels/convention center right abut the community. They fought (chinatown coalition and Yep ect) and lost to the criminals who give our taxpayer dollars to the CC /NOLIB developers of the town.
Crushing small business by not letting them in on the pie at all. The Corporations, Universities and Hospitals all based in the City have made billions upon billions of dollars over and over while steamrolling over the middle class- by stealing land and tax money- now we've arrive. Where the pie is so small that violence and crime skyrocket. There's been no brotherly love of funds from these Corporate Capitalists who continue to suck the city dry. Here's a start...reduce cable bills Comcast....maybe the 50 bucks you shave off that 150 dollar a month per household bill may help. It's called integrity. Give back- but then again, that means the top dogs wont get 1/2 billion in salary. They'd have to settle for maybe 10 to 20 million instead. It's not just a Phila. phenomenon - but it's the cradle of the crying baby- and now it's spreading like plague.
London, Vancouver, Athens, Pittsburgh-
I'm all out of Hope and Change. So my brother, keep working the 3 jobs at 7 bucks an hour and keep your chin up. Keep riding the decrepit subways and don't worry about heating your home with 4 dollar oil this winter. Don't worry about the seniors who gave us life who don't receive the respect they deserve. Just keep Looking up! Look up at those big billboards on 76 and 95 and believe that "Comcast Cares" and "We'll be here for you Health Insurance"
The Truth is, they don't and they're not.

As for NY to Phila. You're right. Too many smart folks in NYC who truly understand the value of a sturdy middle class. Even though that's being chiseled bit by bit. NYC had a big $ and crime problems in the 70's and they fixed it without tearing apart the middle class.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:47 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,056 times
Mayor Nutters opinion on all of this is right on point. He pointed out that the Black community and even moreso black men need to take responsibility for their children by being Fathers to their children. Perhaps what should be done is to bring some of these fathers to the forefront so others may learn from their example.

Old 08-09-2011, 01:55 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
I'm not impressed since this should have been done 2 years ago

Old 08-09-2011, 02:02 PM

711 posts, read 1,512,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvandsportsguy View Post
i'm not impressed since this should have been done 2 years ago

touche!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia