Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 11:28 AM

711 posts, read 1,512,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
But which part of Philly? The white part? The black part? The latino part?
Your right, but don,t you really mean black part, or the latino part? I mean lets be honest diversity is code for not white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 05:03 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
Norristown and Chester, and half of Upper Darby are urban, and have high crime rates. The only places I can think are maybe Warminster, Lansdale (far), Ardmore, West Chester (separate town, to some extent, also far,) Boothwyn, Brookhaven, and the towns along Chester Pike in Delaware County.

Lots of these suburbs will be diverse because they are adjacent to urban areas of Philadelphia, and the river towns along the Delaware (Chester.)

I would really call these diverse suburbs. Ardmore and west chester are more upscale mainly white and asian and expensive ( a great choice if the OP is interesting in that, media would also be a good option.) Brookhaven is very much a majority white and a very boring township consisting of neighborhoods and a few strip malls. Boothwyn isnt very diverse either, though it is near marcus hook, boothwyn is sort of the safe haven of the chichester area. Chester pike is the best option though it does run through some rough neighborhoods.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:44 PM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times
What about Swarthmore, Wallingford, Cheltenham, Lansdowne, Bryn Mawr, Media, Langhorne, Penndel and Morrisville?

Old 08-23-2011, 04:31 PM

9,380 posts, read 9,347,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Swarthmore, Wallingford, Cheltenham, Lansdowne, Bryn Mawr, Media, Langhorne, Penndel and Morrisville?
This is kind of a wide range of suburbs you posted.

To start Bryn Mawr is in the heart of the mainline, very expensive, not exactly diverse, no set downtown area, just a lot of retail along route 30. This is more of a town for a family, or someone looking without money being an issue.

Media/Swarthmore/Wallingford are 3 towns about 10 minutes apart. Great area, media is definately the more exciting choice as far as things to do downtown, shopping, dining, parks, etc. Swarthmore has a small downtown mainly residential very nice old homes. Both areas are expensive but not like Bryn Mawr, good schools and about as diverse as it gets for a very nice suburb.

Lansdowne is an older inner suburb of philadelphia. IMO it is a very shaky area that is going downhill. Very affordable and diverse, not good schools, but close to the city. If a young person is looking for a cheap place to live and isnt worried about schools than that general area would be an option, not really a trendy town like a media or west chester area.

Langhorne/cheltenham/Penndel are in bucks county, more affordable area, dont know all that much on them, i know langhorne has a small downtown area. Morrisville nj i cant help with.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:04 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
Cheltenham is in Montgomery County. It's about 2/3 white and 1/4 black, with the rest mostly Asian. The real estate taxes there tend to be a lot higher than surrounding communities.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:27 PM

149 posts, read 445,616 times
I think people are getting "diverse" and "integrated" mixed up. Really the only "diverse" areas in the Delaware Valley are in the city in places like Olney and parts of South Philly. I live in Mt Airy which many people like to consider diverse, when it is really only, racially speaking, integrated.....blacks and whites. Now if you expand that to young, old, black, white, gay, straight, i'd say Mt Airy is pretty diverse. If you only look at politics, Mt Airy is as liberal as a neighborhood could be. Not too diverse. My moderate politics (with some "libertarian" leanings) look downright southern conservative republican to some around here.

So, are you looking for diversity, or integration? Racial, or everything considered?

Old 08-24-2011, 06:38 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,486,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goo View Post
My moderate politics (with some "libertarian" leanings) look downright southern conservative republican to some around here.
that is true of most of philadelphia with the exception of the northeast - the result of a combination of intellectual elite, poor black, and union labor influences.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:31 AM

788 posts, read 1,272,195 times
Norristown is such a hole. Don't move there.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:44 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,863,105 times
No diverse suburbs in Philly. Move to places like Fairfax, VA, Rockville, MD, Irvine, CA, many North Jersey towns, or Mississauga, Ontario for real diversity.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:49 AM

93,414 posts, read 124,084,833 times
This website can help the OP decide what communities fit what they are looking for: 2010 Census Interactive Population Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia