Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 08:29 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times

Advertisements

I just had to make a thread about this, because the constant negativity of some posters, and many "Philadelphians" (I use this term loosely here because many of these people aren't from Philadelphia) is really gratingly negative. Not even negative in any constructive way. I find most people who have generally favorable views of the city are still critical of the city, which is helpful. However, negadelphians aren't critical, often they don't seem to be on the same planet, painting broad brush pictures of doom, gloom, death and destruction. Really, reading some of the posts on this forum makes me think people actually have this image of Philadelphia as a kind of Mad Max post-apocalyptic wasteland of crack, shootings, and welfare fraud. It bothers me because for those people who do come through this forum looking for views of the city from those who are purported to actually live here (I'm sure many don't) see these things, and even if they aren't really discouraged (because this is the internet after all) it still does the city a disservice by portraying it in such a pessimistic and narrow-minded way.

I may be, perhaps, too idealistic. I may love this city too much, and the people in it. I may value the city too much, and the ideals it was founded on and the stories of the people who came to live here and those who still live here. But I think there's still enough good in this place that it deserves more than to be labelled as a "wasteland".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 PM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
It's very true. I was born in New York City, but grew up in Berks County, PA. I just recently moved to Philadelphia. We came here a couple time a year when I was a kid, and I always loved it so much. I'm really happy to live here.

The negativity doesn't bother me too too much. But I spent the past couple of years in college in Minneapolis. And let me tell you what: It's a nice city, but a lot of things about it suck. They have a lacking transit system. Super hard to live without a car compared to Philly. Their downtown was completely knocked down in the 60's, and has a lot of bleak modernist architecture. The only "hip, active" neighborhood is filled with drunk yuppies and college kids every weekend, making it a really undesirable place to live, in my opinion. The commericial corridors are all made up of strip malls with chainstores, nothing classy like Center City , Passyunk, Germantown Ave, or anything. Their idea of a "walkable" neighborhood is a walking path around a lake...not actually being able to walk or take a train to things to do. Yet...they all love it. And if you criticize it at all, in the tiniest bit, you're ostracized. You're the devil. Literally.

So after coming out of that group-think environment, I don't care if people say bad things about a place which is OBVIOUSLY pretty good. The problems Philly has are the problems every city has. That doesn't take away from the positive things about Philadelphia that most cities don't have.

Old 01-06-2011, 09:06 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,709,857 times
I wouldnt let it get to you although see what you are saying.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
I think it is because of people's level of culture/education and overall laziness. How they grew up, were they directed by their parents towards appreciating the arts? we're they listening non stop about how the parents wanted to move to Florida? I think that matters a lot in the overall opinion some form.

"I" for one appreciate the area's culture, history, for me that entire area has a million things to do....others just want to lie on the beach here in FL and do nothing but enjoy chain foods!

I am one of those naysayers here in FL because all I hear (read) from ppl wanting to move here is how they are looking for public transit, culture and generally things that just don't exist down here! especially if you come from NYC, Philly, Chicago etc etc etc I tell ppl, we are an endless sprawl, you have to drive to just get bread! everything artistic is expensive because it is not local, it comes touring and what's local barely exists bc ppl could care less about it......ohh and the "warm" weather...we are in the 30's and 40's...and while I know that's no match for minus anything, for FL that's not warm! LOLOL People isolate themselves a LOT here....driving distances is one reason why...then things become "been there done that"...and you're done. Unless you're into water sports and fishing...there is not much diversity down here. I rather fish for trout.

In Philly and around, there is ALWAYS something going on...and if you exhausted everything that was there (which would take years), you're only a ride away from NYC and a few hrs to DC for more things to do.

Crime wise, Philly is no match for the number of uninsured drivers in Florida for example.....cause it is a crime to an extent to drive uninsured....or without a license which seems to be a sport here. We had things stolen from a gated with barrier and 24/7 security! Imagine that!

"Wasteland" have these ppl never driven up 322? OMG that area all the way up to Bradford is GORGEOUS! scenery wise, cities....been to Ridgeway? GORGEOUS Little town.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
I just had to make a thread about this, because the constant negativity of some posters, and many "Philadelphians" (I use this term loosely here because many of these people aren't from Philadelphia) is really gratingly negative. Not even negative in any constructive way. I find most people who have generally favorable views of the city are still critical of the city, which is helpful. However, negadelphians aren't critical, often they don't seem to be on the same planet, painting broad brush pictures of doom, gloom, death and destruction. Really, reading some of the posts on this forum makes me think people actually have this image of Philadelphia as a kind of Mad Max post-apocalyptic wasteland of crack, shootings, and welfare fraud. It bothers me because for those people who do come through this forum looking for views of the city from those who are purported to actually live here (I'm sure many don't) see these things, and even if they aren't really discouraged (because this is the internet after all) it still does the city a disservice by portraying it in such a pessimistic and narrow-minded way.

I may be, perhaps, too idealistic. I may love this city too much, and the people in it. I may value the city too much, and the ideals it was founded on and the stories of the people who came to live here and those who still live here. But I think there's still enough good in this place that it deserves more than to be labeled as a "wasteland".

Old 01-07-2011, 05:53 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
Pittsburgh seemed to have the same problem about 10 years ago, although it's slowly begun to change in recent years. I agree that there's a fine line between constructive criticism and destructive criticism.

Old 01-07-2011, 06:00 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Most Negadelphians are from Jersey or the suburbs, have never ridden on the subway and only drive in for sports events and leave. That's OK though I'd rather live in the city than in their suburbs. I grew up in North Philly, and never knew I was poor until I left. There are people on this board who bash every major city, that's their problem

Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,652,988 times
I think that a lot of the things people complain about in Philly seem to betray a lack of perspective.
Things you always hear, like "Septa is the worst, most expensive, most mismanaged transit system in the country!!" (when it's actually one of the best by far, is comparably priced to most, and shares the same management/budget issues with like every public transit system I can think of).
Or "the Schuylkill Expressway is the worst, most inadequate highway in any major city!" (ever see the BQE...or like any highway in NYC?).
Or complaining about traffic (as if it's something unique to Philly), or about parking in Center City (Really? You want more parking lots for cars in the middle of an historic pedestrian downtown?).
Or complaining about how the sports teams "always lose" (when at least two of the city's teams are in the playoffs pretty much every year and all 4 of our teams have gone to championship games in the last decade - not too many places can say that). Etc, etc...
So many people never seem to appreciate or take pride in all the obvious legitimately great things they've got in Philly, but are so quick to rip on any random perceived deficiency.

Really the only negativity train I ever get on in regards to Philly is the performance of the sanitation workers. Because it is truly absurd and not at all normal the way they seem to prioritize distance-tossing trash cans and scattering trash all over street over actually picking it up, as if they don't care at all what their actual job function is. But...maybe it's just because they're Negadelphians too!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:39 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I think that a lot of the things people complain about in Philly seem to betray a lack of perspective.
Things you always hear, like "Septa is the worst, most expensive, most mismanaged transit system in the country!!" (when it's actually one of the best by far, is comparably priced to most, and shares the same management/budget issues with like every public transit system I can think of).
Yeah, this is something that does bother me. If you think SEPTA is bad, move to almost anywhere in America besides New York (or maybe Chicago or Boston - I've never used their system, but it seems decent). I count my blessings everytime I have to take SEPTA.

Public transit is in a pretty bad state all over the country. So I have no doubt that transit may have been better here at one point. But having a real transit system that's something more than just a "charity" for poor people is an amazing thing after moving here from Minneapolis. Trains, trolleys, light rail that actually goes places...a regional rail system...a whole bunch of buses that run 24 hours a day. It's a wonderful thing. I don't care if I have to use a token instead of a computer-chip. Big deal. I care about what happens after I give them the token. SEPTA is one of the best things about Philadelphia.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:49 AM

7,270 posts, read 10,601,386 times
Good, important topic. I wholeheartedly agree that, for many in Philly (and the general area), complaining about everything under the sun seems to be a time-honored tradition. Thankfully, there are enough positive thinkers/outsiders that tend to keep things in perspective.

That is not to say there aren't issues that deserve to be complained about, but there is a middle ground (acknowledging the good but offering constructive criticism) that many Philadelphians seem incapable of subscribing to. I think in order to combat blatant negativism, it is critical to constantly offer a positive voice and highlight the city's many assets. That way outsiders will have a realistic perspective that the city is somewhere between purgatory and paradise.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:02 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,094,681 times
Sometimes I refer to Negadelphians as Loserdelphians, because that's what many of these people are (losers).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia