Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2011, 03:31 PM

25 posts, read 38,254 times

Advertisements

I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with the hospital and it's location. Is this a safe area and are there any hotels nearby. Is this location convenient
to shops and other attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 03:35 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,561 times
I was there alot with my son, there is a Hilton right across the street, and i think a Sheraton a few blocks away. There is also a Ronald McDonald house. Right across the street is the venue where they have the flower show every year, i forget the name of it. I'm not sure how safe the area is, i'm assuming it's pretty safe. I also think there is a museum nearby. The hospital cafeteria serves really good food and there is a McDonald's inside as well.

Old 09-06-2011, 05:38 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcth View Post
I wanted to ask if anyone was familiar with the hospital and it's location. Is this a safe area and are there any hotels nearby. Is this location convenient to shops and other attractions.
It's essentially in University City/West Philly with the Hospital of University of Pennsylvania as a neighbor. The Penn Tower Hotel is across the street but I would not recommend it as it was aging when I was there 20 years ago. You'll most likely bump into hospital staff and interns as well as fellow visitors on that stretch, even late at night. Penn's Ivy League campus is next door where you'll find the Sheraton and Hilton as suggested. On Chestnut Street between 38th and 40th as well as along 40th Street itself, you'll find a fair amount of shopping and restaurants. Besides the usual street wisdom when visiting a city, I would feel comfortable in that area of University City.

The neighborhoods of Center City (our downtown) are just across the Schuykill (SCHOOL-cull) River, easily accessible by bus or light rail or subway. This is where the vast majority of popular attractions and diversions in the city will be found...not to mention a great variety of hotels.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,945,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
It's essentially in University City/West Philly with the Hospital of University of Pennsylvania as a neighbor. The Penn Tower Hotel is across the street but I would not recommend it as it was aging when I was there 20 years ago. You'll most likely bump into hospital staff and interns as well as fellow visitors on that stretch, even late at night. Penn's Ivy League campus is next door where you'll find the Sheraton and Hilton as suggested. On Chestnut Street between 38th and 40th as well as along 40th Street itself, you'll find a fair amount of shopping and restaurants.
While it's true the Penn Tower is right across the street from the hospital, it is only fair to say that both the Sheraton and the Hilton are about 5 to 7 blocks away, so they are not in the immediate area.

Often overlooked by tourists, but just a block away is the excellent University of Pennsylvania Museum of Anthropology and Archeology (commonly called "The Penn Museum").

Old 09-07-2011, 05:35 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
great hospital.. Can't get better care for your child

Old 09-07-2011, 06:30 AM

212 posts, read 610,754 times
Great hospital and associated practices! I take my children here for almost everything and when I haven't, I realize how spoiled we are with the quality of care that one receives at CHOP.

Here's info on accommodations from their website:
Where to Stay | The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Old 09-07-2011, 07:14 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
While it's true the Penn Tower is right across the street from the hospital, it is only fair to say that both the Sheraton and the Hilton are about 5 to 7 blocks away, so they are not in the immediate area.

Often overlooked by tourists, but just a block away is the excellent University of Pennsylvania Museum of Anthropology and Archeology (commonly called "The Penn Museum").
I meant to say that Sheraton and Hilton were both in the Penn area, not that they were necessarily within short walking distance from CHOP. Nonetheless, I can see how that might be interpreted as such and appreciate your clarification.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:58 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I was there alot with my son, there is a Hilton right across the street, and i think a Sheraton a few blocks away. There is also a Ronald McDonald house. Right across the street is the venue where they have the flower show every year, i forget the name of it. I'm not sure how safe the area is, i'm assuming it's pretty safe. I also think there is a museum nearby. The hospital cafeteria serves really good food and there is a McDonald's inside as well.
The Flower Show used to be held at the Philadelphia Civic Center, but that was years ago. The Civic Center has been demolished.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:42 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post

Absolutely!! Really wonderful museum, and a great building, architecturally.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:48 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I don't believe Penn tower has been a hotel for many years. It is all office space for HUP and doctors offices. Of course there are dozens of hotels in center city a short cab or bus ride away. The same applys to tourist attractions although the hospital itself is only walking distance to other hospital and University buildings. The University of PA and it's hospital dominate the neighborhood for many blocks. If the OP is driving they can park at PennTower garage or the Pearlman Center for a low price. The area is safe and secure 24/7.....and yes the flower show moved to the Convention Center at 12th and Arch maybe 15 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia