Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 09:52 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times

Advertisements

Among the central (most populous) counties of the 50 largest MSAs, that's the ninth-highest percentage of all, and the highest percentage outside the Sun Belt. Only the following eight counties have a higher percentage of children under age five that are racial minorities:

Los Angeles County, CA
Dade County, FL
Dallas County, TX
Bexar County, TX
Santa Clara County, CA
Harris County, TX
Alameda County, CA
Riverside County, CA

This reinforces my belief that Philadelphia will have the most dramatic demographic changes of any MSA with 5,000,000+ population by the 2020 Census, and Pennsylvania will have the most dramatic demographic changes of any state with 8,000,000+ population as well.

Unfortunately, Pittsburgh won't contribute much to the state aggregate since Allegheny County is at the bottom of the list at the link above, but it is slowly becoming more diverse nonetheless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 12:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,886,219 times
White flight. It keeps going and going... And when I said a few times here that mostly the 'minorities' are the ones having the kids, I was told I was wrong.. Its all about the schools I think..

Old 05-18-2012, 12:27 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times
I think the fact that most of the growth in Philadelphia during the last census was due to increased numbers of Hispanic and Asian residents (due to immigration as well as birth) has more to do with this than the schools.

Old 05-18-2012, 12:28 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,705,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
White flight. It keeps going and going... And when I said a few times here that mostly the 'minorities' are the ones having the kids, I was told I was wrong.. Its all about the schools I think..
Well you are not wrong that most of the kids are racial minorities but you are wrong on white flight. For the first time whites are staying in the city and having kids. For the first time the numbers of whites that moved to the city outweighed the number of whites leaving the city. So you are only half wrong.

http://articles.philly.com/2012-05-1...tal-population

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20...ladelphia.html

Walk around Society Hill or Fitler Square any given day and you will see a ton of whites out with their younglings. Walk through Bella Vista, Fairmount, University City, Queen Village, Pennsport, and all the neighborhoods in South Philly down around the stadiums and you will see the same. Admit it Frank... for the first time Philadelphia is growing and changing for the better and you still can't accept it. Crime will decrease and schools will get better when more affluent people continue to move in. The solution to the problem is not to leave the city. The solution is to stay in the city and fix it. Schools all around Center City are getting better every year and it is because of more affluent people moving in.

Philadelphia is quickly becoming a White, Hispanic and Asian city as Blacks continue to leave.

Last edited by RightonWalnut; 05-18-2012 at 12:38 PM..

Old 05-18-2012, 01:12 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,759,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Walk around Society Hill or Fitler Square any given day and you will see a ton of whites out with their Yuenglings.
Good beer.

Old 05-18-2012, 01:53 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,006,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Among the central (most populous) counties of the 50 largest MSAs, that's the ninth-highest percentage of all, and the highest percentage outside the Sun Belt. Only the following eight counties have a higher percentage of children under age five that are racial minorities:

Los Angeles County, CA
Dade County, FL
Dallas County, TX
Bexar County, TX
Santa Clara County, CA
Harris County, TX
Alameda County, CA
Riverside County, CA

This reinforces my belief that Philadelphia will have the most dramatic demographic changes of any MSA with 5,000,000+ population by the 2020 Census, and Pennsylvania will have the most dramatic demographic changes of any state with 8,000,000+ population as well.

Unfortunately, Pittsburgh won't contribute much to the state aggregate since Allegheny County is at the bottom of the list at the link above, but it is slowly becoming more diverse nonetheless.
It also speaks volume to the direction of what America's changing demographics will be like in the future.

Old 05-18-2012, 02:42 PM

469 posts, read 925,623 times
I`M so glad that some people did there homework for this thread! On the other hand,some people still have no ideal what they are talking about.They are letting their bias opinions control their life. Thank God there are people that don`t use color to determine ,if someone will be a good neighbor.Not all blacks and whites are running from each other.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:17 PM

283 posts, read 327,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Well you are not wrong that most of the kids are racial minorities but you are wrong on white flight. For the first time whites are staying in the city and having kids. For the first time the numbers of whites that moved to the city outweighed the number of whites leaving the city. So you are only half wrong.

Philly's white population rises - Philly.com

White migration to Center City unlikely to save Philadelphia

Walk around Society Hill or Fitler Square any given day and you will see a ton of whites out with their younglings. Walk through Bella Vista, Fairmount, University City, Queen Village, Pennsport, and all the neighborhoods in South Philly down around the stadiums and you will see the same. Admit it Frank... for the first time Philadelphia is growing and changing for the better and you still can't accept it. Crime will decrease and schools will get better when more affluent people continue to move in. The solution to the problem is not to leave the city. The solution is to stay in the city and fix it. Schools all around Center City are getting better every year and it is because of more affluent people moving in.

Philadelphia is quickly becoming a White, Hispanic and Asian city as Blacks continue to leave.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:20 PM

640 posts, read 1,296,280 times
Summersum are you saying that as blacks leave the city is getting better?? Please clarify thanks.

Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
An asian is a minority
a mixed asian white is a minority

So schools like Lowell with large Asian populations are largely minority.

Those whites who want to live iin the hills of Pennsyltucky are on their own
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia