Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 08:41 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times

Advertisements

Yo!

I've been to Philly many times, but it was always following my friends who are from there around the city (usually not sober).. This time, after visiting Pittsburgh family, a friend and I are going to go to Philly for the he11 of it since he has never been. We found some decent center city hotels, but where (preferably in walking distance) can we go out at night. We're 22 and 23. Both into music and more indie bar scenes, but will take any casual non-frat type bar scene. Any strips of bars to hop around to? I tried to search the forums but had no luck. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2011, 02:44 PM

9 posts, read 15,910 times
Old City (2nd and Chestnut) is where the strip of bars are but it's a frat boy/south jersey scene. It's ok if you are looking to pick up sleazy girls otherwise it's a headache. If you want to check out the hipster scene go to the Barbary in Northern Liberties, other options in that area include Johnny Brenda's, PYT and the El bar amongst many others. If you don't want to leave downtown I like Time at 13th and Sansom, it's a jazz bar with a dance floor/dj upstairs.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngoodman View Post
Old City (2nd and Chestnut) is where the strip of bars are but it's a frat boy/south jersey scene. It's ok if you are looking to pick up sleazy girls otherwise it's a headache. If you want to check out the hipster scene go to the Barbary in Northern Liberties, other options in that area include Johnny Brenda's, PYT and the El bar amongst many others. If you don't want to leave downtown I like Time at 13th and Sansom, it's a jazz bar with a dance floor/dj upstairs.
thanks

it doesn't necessarily have to be "hipster", but if it is then thats fine. the jazz bar sounds good. I am always in for some good jazz/blues. especially after moving to chicago and being exposed to it a lot here.

What are the main music venues? I know electric factory is one. i also saw a show i was interested in at Worlds Cafe Live...but then realized it would cost me 100 bucks. old city sounds like hell.

Old 10-10-2011, 02:59 PM

377 posts, read 667,240 times
Here's a few. The 1st 2 are lists.
Indie Bar Bars & Clubs - Philadelphia - BlackBook City Guide
R5 Productions
The Blockley
The El Bar - Bar - Philadelphia, PA | Facebook
Note that some of the listed bars and venues are definitly not within walking distance of a center city hotel.

You might want to consider starting out with bars in and around the areas surrounding the "South Street" corridor.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
Here's a few. The 1st 2 are lists.
Indie Bar Bars & Clubs - Philadelphia - BlackBook City Guide
R5 Productions
The Blockley
The El Bar - Bar - Philadelphia, PA | Facebook
Note that some of the listed bars and venues are definitly not within walking distance of a center city hotel.

You might want to consider starting out with bars in and around the areas surrounding the "South Street" corridor.
the south street area looks decent. i think ive been there before, but not sure. some of these bars sound vaguely familiar.

Old 10-10-2011, 04:14 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Let's start at the beginning. What hotel will you be staying in? Then we can give you better direction.

Old 10-10-2011, 09:00 PM

Comfort Inn at penns landing...decided against the cc hotel..this one was cheaper and not much farther

Old 10-10-2011, 11:28 PM

377 posts, read 667,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForYourLungsOnly View Post
Comfort Inn at penns landing...decided against the cc hotel..this one was cheaper and not much farther
The Comfort Inn is not at Penn's Landing, it's in Olde City. You are a bit over a mile from the start of the South Street corridor at Front and South Streets. It'd be a lot closer to your areas of interest and an easier foot transit, if you were in one of the Penn's Landing hotels (Hyatt Regency, Sheraton Penn's Landing etc..), but unfortunately they are at least twice the Comfort Inn rates. One good aspect about where you're staying is its proximity (1/2 Block) to the "Race Street Pier" - ask the desk for directions. Anyway's, if you must walk (versus a cab), consider continuing South from the Pier on the river side of Columbus Blvd and take an appropriate cross over I95 bridge (Market, Walnut, South, etc..) into Center City (about 1.5 miles). If you decide to start on South Street (Consider NOT ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE ON SOUTH STREET on a Friday or Saturday night!!) and then go into CC, it's better IMO to exit South Street at 7th, turn Right on 7th to Walnut and left on Walnut to Broad - then figure your next move. Keep some $ in reserve for a cab back to your hotel in case you get lost.

Old 10-11-2011, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
The Comfort Inn is not at Penn's Landing, it's in Olde City. You are a bit over a mile from the start of the South Street corridor at Front and South Streets. It'd be a lot closer to your areas of interest and an easier foot transit, if you were in one of the Penn's Landing hotels (Hyatt Regency, Sheraton Penn's Landing etc..), but unfortunately they are at least twice the Comfort Inn rates. One good aspect about where you're staying is its proximity (1/2 Block) to the "Race Street Pier" - ask the desk for directions. Anyway's, if you must walk (versus a cab), consider continuing South from the Pier on the river side of Columbus Blvd and take an appropriate cross over I95 bridge (Market, Walnut, South, etc..) into Center City (about 1.5 miles). If you decide to start on South Street (Consider NOT ATTEMPTING TO DRIVE ON SOUTH STREET on a Friday or Saturday night!!) and then go into CC, it's better IMO to exit South Street at 7th, turn Right on 7th to Walnut and left on Walnut to Broad - then figure your next move. Keep some $ in reserve for a cab back to your hotel in case you get lost.
thanks for the advice. i've been to philly a lot of times but i've always just followed my friends around (who are from there). this is my first trip as the "tour guide" (and a poor one i will be at that ). But back on topic..i don't have any aversion to using cabs or the subway where available. I'd like to go to Northern Liberties for a night, and one night just go around Center City.

Old 10-11-2011, 06:02 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,135 times
Here are my Center City suggestions: Monks Cafe (best beer bar anywhere) Good Dog (crowded, young, not fratty), Bob and Barbara's (great old school house band plays on the weekends. McGlincheys (a total dive). Dirty Franks (another dive). These are all walking distance from each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia