Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 08:49 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterPenguinette View Post
Hi rainrock,

Thank you for your response. I think I'm still holding on to the idea that I would get a job towards Philadelphia. It's kind of a scary thought, moving to an area with absolutely no job lined up, but it's looking to be that type of situation. I've already had such an unsuccessful time here in MN trying to get a job semi-related to what I had originally gone to school for, that it's hard to think that this will continue (undergrad in Metro-Urban Studies/Urban Planning, and am finishing grad school in GIS).

I'll keep looking along Route 3. I did check out the W.V. and G.Cl apartments, but found out that seven months rent there is $1,000+/month! And in regards to a preferred area, I do like established areas (I live in a two-bedroom, 1920s apartment building right now with a view of downtown St. Paul, and local neighborhood shops all over the area), but wouldn't mind being near some of the hustle and bustle, as we're both twenty-somethings.
SAP is a huge German software company that are into just about everything, Perhaps your GIS and urban studies degrees would interest them. They have their North American HQ's in Newtown Square(right next to WC). They have over 1,000 employees there.

Good luck with the job search and I can see why you would want to be closer to Philadelphia in that field. West Chester is a cool little planned town but its certainly not urban. Its the county seat of Chester County which is the wealthiest county in Pennsylvania. Im thinking if you are flexible your degrees pique someones interest out there along the 202 corridor which is the main job hub of the suburbs.Chester Countys unemployment rate is usually one of the lowest in the state.

Maybe even try the Chester County Planning Commission,Delaware County Planning Commission,Montgomery County Planning Commission,Bucks County Planning Commission.

One last thing West Chester is a college town, maybe you could apply at the university in some capacity. Back to renting seeing how you are still in your 20's maybe you can rent an apartment near campus in one of the old victorians in the town of West Chester.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2011, 08:29 AM

And of course send a resume to Philadelphia Planning Commission.

Delaware Valley Regional Planning Commission.

Univ Pennsylvania

Drexel Univ

Temple Univ

Old 02-10-2012, 01:33 PM

8 posts, read 11,968 times
Hi rainrock,

Thank you for all of your employment possibility suggestions. I only just saw this message today (talk about a delay), but we did make it out here and have been here in Media (yes, I decided to choose a happy place between the big city and WC) for about a month now.

I was able to check a little more into DCPC and the City of Philadelphia, but will most definitely check out your suggestion of SAP, as well as the other neighboring counties and local universities.

Thanks again!

PS: Also, thank you couldntthinkofaclevername- Media is a very comfortable place for the time being. Not sure what the commute time might be if I *ever* get a job ( ), but I think WC would've been way too 'out there' for me...

Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 PM

SAP will add 500 jobs in Newtown Square - Media Town Talk - Delco News Network

SAP America will add 500 jobs to its campus in Newtown Square

It does not seem to matter what the economic forecast is or how rough other employees are having it. When it comes to the world’s largest business software provider, the “Help Wanted” sign always seems to be front and center. Coming off what company officials called “the best year in our 40-year history,” SAP will add 500 jobs at its North America headquarters on West Chester Pike in Newtown Square.

“The growth of the company as a whole was very strong in 2011 and these jobs in Newtown Square are part of a larger hiring of about 2,800 people across North America,” said company spokesman Atle Erlingsson. “They will be filled by a broad spectrum of people, from those with 10 or 15 years of experience to interns and those looking for their first job out of college.”

Old 02-23-2012, 07:55 PM

958 posts, read 1,198,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SinisterPenguinette View Post
PS: Also, thank you couldntthinkofaclevername- Media is a very comfortable place for the time being. Not sure what the commute time might be if I *ever* get a job ( ), but I think WC would've been way too 'out there' for me...
No problem, always happy to help.

This is late obviously but Media is very well connected when it comes to public transportation. You can catch the trolley or bus all the way to 69th street and be there in about a half hour then take the El to other parts if need be, or you can just take Regional Rail right to Center City.

One thing that's very helpful is to go on septa.org whenever you're planning to go somewhere to see if you can get there through public transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia