Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2011, 09:33 PM

20 posts, read 113,663 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are moving to Berwyn from nyc next month. I will rent for a few months and then buy a house or condo. I am not handy, so would prefer a condo or a new house that is fully renovated. I want to be within 20 minutes driving distance to my office. I also want to be close to a Amtrak station because I need to visit parents in nyc often. I may have a baby in a year. I do not care about nightlife, but I want to be close to good restaurant area and grocery stores. Any suggestions? Thanks!

When are you moving? End of June 2011
Where are you coming from? NYC
Why are you moving? job relocation
Where will you be working? Berwyn
Have you been here yet? yes, twice for interview
Will you buy or rent? rent first then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a
condo? How much can you spend? condo or ver new house.800k
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a
townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? apartment. 1500 per month
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? either is fine. I want good amenity with nice gym.
Are you married or single? Do you have
children? married no kids may have a baby in a year
Do you prefer public or private schools? public
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? no
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and
quiet? I like both
What do you want to be closest to? work and Amtrak because I need to go to NYC often to visit parents

Do you want to live with people of a similar age,
race, religion or sexual preference or do you
prefer a diverse neighborhood? not much preference, but I prefer more Asian and liberal area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2011, 10:23 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
amtrak stops in ardmore and paoli. can't say as though berweyn or paoli is particularly liberal but there are asians, the schools are top notch, and there's commuter and amtrak service. generally speaking, the towns along the main line get more liberal the further east you go.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:56 PM

35 posts, read 83,264 times
Wayne has alot of options and puts you close to the train. King of prussia has lower taxes but depending on the location traffic can be more of a problem. To get new construction you may have to travel outside your 20 minute range. Along lancaster ave/ rt 30 you can find very nice restaurants. Whole foods and the farmers market are nearby as well.

Any specific questions let me know, I grew up in the area and can probably answer most questions.

Mike

Old 05-14-2011, 06:49 PM

9,377 posts, read 9,319,932 times
berwyn is a beautiful town, excellent schools, you should be able to find something nice for 800k. the upper main line ymca is in berwyn.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:20 PM

5 posts, read 8,139 times
Looking for areas in Berwyn that have good reputations for apartments. Please give me some streets to look on that are safe. Thanks

Old 01-03-2012, 12:20 AM

5,587 posts, read 8,398,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusoxny View Post
Looking for areas in Berwyn that have good reputations for apartments. Please give me some streets to look on that are safe. Thanks
Ha ha, how about the whole town! I absolutely love Berwyn, lived there for two years (rent) but sadly, could not afford a house there.

Old 01-03-2012, 05:39 AM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
Ha ha, how about the whole town! I absolutely love Berwyn, lived there for two years (rent) but sadly, could not afford a house there.
Honestly, is there even a single part of the Main Line that isn't safe? Even the parts of the Main Line that directly border the city are like night and day from everywhere south of the Main Line that borders the city.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:20 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Honestly, is there even a single part of the Main Line that isn't safe?
The short answer:
No.

The long answer:
Whatever a typical person would intuitively sense about the socioeconomic status of a Main Line neighborhood needs to be adjusted upward by a class notch (eg, a cluster of splits in Bala-Cynwyd may qualify as middle-class in most other Philly suburbs, but due to inflated home values, affording one here requires at least an upper-middle class income). Even in Belmont Hills, you'd be hard-pressed to find a detached, single-family home under 250k.

There are limited portions of Narberth, Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Garrett Hill, etc. that err on the lower side of middle class, but these places are certainly not unsafe by any means. The absolute worst that can happen is that a few kids who fancy themselves as "thugs" may give you a little attitude.

So no.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:55 PM

958 posts, read 1,196,859 times
Haha yeah, it was a rhetorical question. It's understandable for somebody who doesn't know the area to think that it can be block by block though or to not know how much different than places much further south of there it is.

Old 01-03-2012, 02:57 PM

9,325 posts, read 12,995,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by couldntthinkofaclevername View Post
Haha yeah, it was a rhetorical question. It's understandable for somebody who doesn't know the area to think that it can be block by block though or to not know how much different than places much further south of there it is.
I know you knew the answer. I was just explaining for the OP's sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia