Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 08:16 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettsen View Post
Hi All, I'll be moving to the Philadelphia area in about three weeks for a job. I'm trying to decide whether I should look for a place to live on the outskirts of the city (maybe Manayunk area), or in the burbs (job is near King of Prussia). I'm a single, white, 27 year old female (not trying to sound like a dating ad, just thought the info might help).

My biggest priority is affordability. I'm going there pretty blind, having never experienced the city. Any advice would be great!
Here's my info:

When are you moving?
Week of January 23-28, 2012
Where are you coming from? Michigan
Why are you moving? Job in KOP
Have you been here yet? No
Will you buy or rent?
Rent, looking for a 1 bedroom/1 bath. $800/mo.
Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Single, no kids
Do you have pets?
No
Do you want or need a yard? Not important
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? Either--I'm adaptable
What do you want to be closest to?
I don't want TOO long of a drive to work (45 minutes max.) But it would be nice to have decent access to the city as well (not sure both are possible--like I said, I'm really not familiar with the area).
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
If it's a SAFE neighborhood, I'm perfectly fine with anything.

Thanks in advance!
I think you're on the right track with manayunk. KoP is a highly commercial area but not a great place to live for a young person. it's basically a giant mall with corporate parks nearby...not much in norristown except good mexican and korean food. you may also want to consider chestnut hill and mt airy, quieter than manayunk but near the turnpike (to KOP) and pretty nice areas with reasonably good access to the city. fwiw, there is late night train service to manayunk and conshocken (between manayunk and KoP) which might also be good for your list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM

9 posts, read 15,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycountry View Post
Manayunk is a pretty popular area, especially for finding a roommate, but as someone mentioned traffic will be a killer (especially coming home).
Would traffic be that bad if I were leaving Manayunk in the morning and coming back in the evenings? I thought heavy traffic was usually in the other direction....

Old 01-08-2012, 10:14 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
I'm also looking at Norristown--from what people know, would it be cheaper cost of living than KOP?
It would be cheaper -- and a heck of a lot closer -- but you need to stick to the far west, east or north ends of town. I live on the north end, near the Elmwood Park Zoo, and it's quiet and pleasant here, but maybe not so much for a younger person.

Quote:
About how long would it take for me to get into the city by car if I lived in King of Prussia? Is there a train that has easy access to the city from there?
Driving into the city is a crap shoot -- it could take you 20 minutes, it could take you an hour and 20 minutes. Beware: Traffic really sucks around here! However long the internet driving directions tell you the drive will take, double it.

Your drive from Manayunk wouldn't be so bad, though, because you can dash across the river and take the back roads. Even though East Falls is close to Manayunk, where you lived and the traffic congestion in the area could add up to 20 minutes to your trip.

The closest train line leaves from Norristown, and it's about a 40-minute trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisGirlBuildsIt View Post
Check out "East Falls" and "Roxborough" for housing.. You can find houses/apt or apt building. Alden Park is a nice big, old, complex, gated, and safe.
East Falls and Alden Park are a bit of a hike to King of Prussia; the drive would take at least 45 minutes.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:02 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
East Falls and Alden Park are a bit of a hike to King of Prussia; the drive would take at least 45 minutes.
no way, maybe on a friday afternoon is summer. probably more like 25-30 min. alden park and east falls are both very close to the schuylkill. it shoudl probably be a 15 min drive but with traffic 25-30. the problem with alden park is it's a dump. nice, OLD...everything is old except the cheap 80's cabinets. there are some nice affordable apartment buildings nearby though...like rittenhouse (hill?)

Old 01-08-2012, 09:40 PM

96 posts, read 360,678 times
if working in the suburbs, it makes no financial sense to live in the city and pay wage tax. look at conshohocken or west conshie instead. bars, restaurants and a train to center city, without giving 3.5% to the city.

Old 01-09-2012, 08:51 AM

41,965 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
no way, maybe on a friday afternoon is summer. probably more like 25-30 min. alden park and east falls are both very close to the schuylkill. it shoudl probably be a 15 min drive but with traffic 25-30.
Have you made that drive? I work in East Falls and live in Norristown; KOP is another 10-15 minutes tacked into the 35 it already takes me to get home.

I agree with mltimes' post above: Live outside the city if you're not working there and save yourself a couple of grand in income taxes.

Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 AM

Default Conshohocken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mltimes View Post
if working in the suburbs, it makes no financial sense to live in the city and pay wage tax. look at conshohocken or west conshie instead. bars, restaurants and a train to center city, without giving 3.5% to the city.
Just by looking online, it looks like the rent in Conshohocken is even more expensive than KOP. Anyone know if I might actually be able to find a place there for around $800? That really is my budget.....

Old 01-12-2012, 09:54 PM

49 posts, read 91,831 times
If you want 20-something nightlife, Manayunk is the place to be. It will be a pain to drive, park, etc. but that's because it's super cool there!

If you are a homebody, peaceful, don't want the hassle, then I agree with Cowboycountry; Conshohocken, Plymouth Meeting, Lafayette Hill, Valley Forge are all nice. Norristown... not so much. It's kind of run-down.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,968 times
Quote:
Just by looking online, it looks like the rent in Conshohocken is even more expensive than KOP. Anyone know if I might actually be able to find a place there for around $800? That really is my budget.....
You should consider getting a roommate. Craigslist is a great resource as they have a dedicated "room/share" section. Being new to the area, a roommate can also show you around. I'm currently in conshohocken and you're right it can be a bit pricey, but great neighborhood nonetheless.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboycountry View Post
You should consider getting a roommate. Craigslist is a great resource as they have a dedicated "room/share" section. Being new to the area, a roommate can also show you around. I'm currently in conshohocken and you're right it can be a bit pricey, but great neighborhood nonetheless.
Thanks CowboyCountry! I think you're right. I was hoping to get my own place, but it looks like it will be more feasible if I find a roommate. And, good point about having someone from the area who can help me get to know the area. Guess I'll refocus my search now: roomie in Conshie

Last edited by Jettsen; 01-14-2012 at 10:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia