Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:22 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times

Advertisements

My fiance is likely going to accept a job offer in Manhattan. We do not want to live in NYC again, and I do not want to leave my job here though. She plans on just using this Job as a stepping stone because it is a huge opportunity for her career. Within two years she hopes to have a similar position here in Philly.

No matter what her commute will be hellish, but I'm hoping to at least make it borderline reasonable. Even saving 20 - 25 min from her commute would obviously add up in a big way over the long run.

We were about to buy here in Bella Vista, but now the plan is to be closer to New York. That means the Far Northeast or Bucks county, or that part of NJ across the river. The problem is that this basically the only part of the philly area that neither myself nor my gf are familiar with.

So what we're looking for is urban(ish) area in the far northeast or Bucks county, or I guess NJ across the river that has access to public transit.

What I mean by urban(ish), is I want to be able to go pick up some fresh vegetables for diner and not have to get in a car. Hopefully a neighborhood restaurant or two. Basically just not total suburbia. We share a car and I currently walk to work, obviously that won't be possible anymore so I'll also have to be near public transit to center city. Although obviously a train or subway is preferable, I'm not picky, a bus stop nearby more than suffices.

This is going to be a temporary situations so we don't want to buy, we'll be looking to rent now instead. As far as budget goes, I don't think we'd want to spend much more than 1,500 a month. However the past few years we've been paying much less (about 900) so we could save up to buy a home, if we could continue to save money that would be preferable, as we don't want to waste a lot of money on a temporary apartment where we don't plan on spending much time.

Aside from a little walkability and public transit options the only thing we're really looking for otherwise is safety.

I know the far northeast and bucks is mostly suburban so we don't expect to find a place comparable to bella vista, but we were hoping there was something like Lansdowne or Media. Anyone who knows of any such places in the area, I'd love to hear about it.

**I'm terribly sorry but I somehow posted this in the wrong forum, if any moderator could move this to the Philadelphia forum, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!**
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:44 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,935,335 times
Honestly to me this is overall challenging without one or both of you using a car.

Newtown/Langhorne or Yardley may be possible but both would relistically require a car ride to pick up Septa and NJT respectively.

Trenton may be your best bet; I would defer to folks that may know Trenton better but both of you could get a direct train to Philly and NYC respectively from there.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:32 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
For convenience, you can’t beat Trenton. One-seat ride to Manhattan, and a one-seat ride to Center City. Trenton has a (deserved) reputation for being a high-crime and undesirable place to live. The exception is a neighborhood called Mill Hill. It’s a small neighborhood, but it has restored old rowhomes, a few restaurants, etc. It’s also within walking distance to the Trenton train station. Here’s the neighborhood’s website: Welcome to Mill Hill

Yardley is a nice little town, but as kidphilly said, it will only give the commuter to Philly a one-seat ride. The commuter to NY would have to drive to NJ to catch a train.

Old 01-20-2012, 02:56 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Honestly to me this is overall challenging without one or both of you using a car.

Newtown/Langhorne or Yardley may be possible but both would relistically require a car ride to pick up Septa and NJT respectively.

Trenton may be your best bet; I would defer to folks that may know Trenton better but both of you could get a direct train to Philly and NYC respectively from there.
We have a car. Sorry for being unclear, my fiance will drive to NYC as she does not like to rely on public transit. I am the one who wishes to be able to commute if at all possible without a car. We currently share one car, but the acceptance of this job may push my hand to buy a car myself. Having two cars now doesn't make much sense, especially with me currently within walking distance of my job, but this of course changes with the move. I wouldn't mind driving to a train station... I just don't want to do the whole rush hour drive into center city.

So in short there is no need to be near transit option to NYC, my fiance is driving. I want to be near transit options to philly, but they do not necessarily have to be within walking distance as I'll probably get a car.

Last edited by phillies2011; 01-20-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 01-20-2012, 03:50 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,171,724 times
Moved from City vs. City forum per OP's request.

Old 01-20-2012, 07:14 PM

2,388 posts, read 2,342,073 times
You could try Bensalem in the area north of 276 just east of Neshaminy mall. It's not urban but it's not like there's nothing there either. There's a Shoprite and Acme at the Village Shopping Center which is served by the 130 bus which stops at Langhorne station for service to Center City. Apartment complexes are nearby; some are right on the 130 bus route. Thing is it doesn't run too often: http://septa.org/schedules/bus/pdf/130.pdf

Which leads me to my next point: you could try the lower part of town near the Philly border. More urban(and from what I hear "trashier") but more frequent mass transit with buses straight to the Frankford El station or the nearby Torresdale station. The bulk of the chain retail is on Street/Knights Road with apartments nearby. Maybe someone who lives there or nearby could further elaborate, but I assume it's "safer" in the Neshaminy part of town, but harder to use mass transit vs the Knights Road area near the Philly border.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:55 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,717,779 times
You might try the Somerton section of NE Philly. It's pretty close to the turnpike entrance, there's regional rail service to CC, and some walkable shopping along Bustleton Ave. Your fiance will still be paying the wage tax, but I think it's the closest you'll find in that area to what you want.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,422,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
We have a car. Sorry for being unclear, my fiance will drive to NYC as she does not like to rely on public transit. I am the one who wishes to be able to commute if at all possible without a car. We currently share one car, but the acceptance of this job may push my hand to buy a car myself. Having two cars now doesn't make much sense, especially with me currently within walking distance of my job, but this of course changes with the move. I wouldn't mind driving to a train station... I just don't want to do the whole rush hour drive into center city.

So in short there is no need to be near transit option to NYC, my fiance is driving. I want to be near transit options to philly, but they do not necessarily have to be within walking distance as I'll probably get a car.
Ugh...I don't know anybody who lives in Philly/Bucks County who commutes to NYC via a car. You couldn't PAY me to drive every day vs. taking the train to the Big Apple! Heck, I love taking the train from the western 'burbs into Philly whenever I can. So relaxing...you can read, work on your laptop, fiddle around with your iPad. Does she have any idea how stress-inducing this commute is going to be?

Are you currently living in Bella Vista? Since this is only a temporary work situation for your fiancee, is there any way you could stay in Philly with her taking the train to NYC, and you walking to work? You're not going to find that nice little walkable urban neighborhood in the Far Northeast...nope nope nope.

ETA: Duh, just noticed you ARE living in Bella Vista. My son and his girlfriend just moved there...GREAT little area. If it were me, I'd do what I could NOT to move away from this neighborhood. You need to start working on the fiancee about the advantages of taking the train to work.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:37 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
I too was gong to recommend Newtown or over in NJ I'd look at Hamilton area.. Good luck.. Hamilton puts her a closer to NYC too. But its still over an hour one way

Welcome to Newtown Borough, Bucks County, PA

Welcome to Hamilton Township - Hamilton Township, New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post

Old 01-22-2012, 11:09 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,781,978 times
I don't recommend walking or using public transit in Trenton even if your immediate neighborhood is safe. Best area for you in Northeast Philly is probably along Frankford Av from the Bucks line down to Academy Rd (Morrel Park/ Torsdale) but it is only 30 minutes to center city so not much of a time saver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia