Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 04:01 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
^^^Yeah, but then when you're driving, your "freedom" is tempered by having to worry about parking wherever you go, having a designated driver, traffic, etc. I always feel like a car is a ball and chain that I'd rather leave at home. But then I spend most of my time in walkable cities with good PT.
good for you. I choose not to.. I feel a train that has limited travel zones and limited time of travel a ball and chain..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 04:28 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
good for you. I choose not to.. I feel a train that has limited travel zones and limited time of travel a ball and chain..

Hey, good for you too. I only posted that because I took exception to the assertion that "a car = freedom", as if that were a fact. In my experience, I find that to not be true at all when you're talking about going out in a city, and I think cars are often more hassle than they're worth.
But then, I choose to live a very different lifestyle from you, because I know that I would not be happy living a car dependent lifestyle in the suburbs.
When you live in a car-oriented suburb, driving is naturally going to be more practical for you. If you live in a walkable city, cars are more likely to just get in your way and encroach on your feeling of freedom.
Different strokes!

Old 02-06-2012, 04:35 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
We are not big fans of public transportation. We enjoy the freedom of coming and going when we want and going where we want. ie, if we decide to eat dinner somewhere on the way home we can do it.. We don't want to be locked in to the path and timetable of a train.
You're right Frank....public transportation is for losers.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:12 PM

I didn't say that alpha! I was just pointing to the fact that a car gives us the freedom we want in life. We don't want to be locked in to a set of tracks or a bus route or a timetable...

Old 02-06-2012, 06:55 PM

9,348 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Glad you enjoyed Center City, and it takes a real man to admit when he's wrong, so props for that as well.

Old 02-06-2012, 07:07 PM

thanks heaven for noticing ..

Old 02-06-2012, 08:26 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,672 times
I can understand driving, especially from South Jersey. I think if it was me, since I prefer walking downtown anyway, I'd just take the train because it's more convenient for me. To each their own though, we all think of convenience a little differently.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:58 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
You guys know Im pretty tough on the ol girl, Philly. But down for the car show today and driving around it today I was very pleased.. Center city was clean as a whistle, and seen many city workers cleaning up cigarette butts, driving the sidewalk cleaning machines, etc. There were thousands of people out walking around, the stores looked great.. Very nice.. Center city is definitely the crown jewel of Philadelphia.
I always bash you for your unrelenting and often factually inaccurate trashing of Philadelphia, so it's only fair that I complement you for taking the time to notice the other side of the coin.

Most of your problems with Philadelphia are not totally invalid in that they have some basis. Philadelphia is certainly not without it's problems. The problem with many of your posts is that you frequently overstate these problems and interject them inappropriately in posts where they do not belong.

Hopefully in the future you can be more cognizant of the fact that while Philadelphia has flaws, it also has amazing attributes and there are plenty of reasons why hundreds of thousands of people CHOOSE to live here and thoroughly enjoy that experience.

If you keep this in mind you can still point out the virtues of living in the nearby suburbs and the negatives of living in the city to someone trying to weigh the two options, without being so insulting to those who have an opinion in conflict of yours. When people come here and ask questions, it's good to have people of all different perspectives helping them out, and if you can refrain from falling into the unrelenting bashing that you've been previously prone to, you could be an asset to this board; someone who sees the city in a less positive light than some of the others here whose glasses are perhaps at least slightly rose tinted.

Anyway glad to hear you've enjoyed your day, come back soon.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 PM

thanks phillies... Actually I am in the city on a daily basis for work, but we will be back to CC again for a shopping spree soon I think..

Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
thanks phillies... Actually I am in the city on a daily basis for work, but we will be back to CC again for a shopping spree soon I think..
frank - I've been on your case too regarding what I have considered a one sided view of Philly: an obsession on the city's crime. Many of us who live in the city see day-in and day-out experience a different city than the one you almost always describe. Someone might read your posts and think we are dodging bullets while stepping over bodies as we pass through Rittenhouse Square.

Like philles2011, it's not like any of us here are unaware of the senseless crime in parts of the city and wish it would improve. It's just that there is so much more to the city than crime. The fact that you've made a special effort to acknowledge that and show some balance is appreciated and hopefully marks a turn. I trust you will continue to use that balance when offering insights, obervations and advice on Philadelphia, sharing not only the bad, but the good. It is place we choose to call home, and most of us who post here only want to see it improve.

Come back! (BTW - I could care less if you drive your own car, take the train, roller-blade or swim the Delaware.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia