Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:29 AM

434 posts, read 1,313,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
You forgot about the Franklin Institute as well! Haha... but otherwise some good info.
True, but I've found the Franklin Institute doesn't have much for little kids. It's great once they hit first grade or maybe kindergarten, but that little downstairs play room doesn't justify the cost of admission IMO. (At least at the Academy of Natural Sciences kids can bang on fossils, but that's probably a stretch before age 4 too.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2012, 08:32 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,485,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I also vote for living in Center City with young kids! I did it for a few years and LOVED it. There are many families with young kids in the city. (Some leave once they're school-aged, some don't.) There is a lot to do with kids, and you don't need a car.

This is a great web site that outlines children & family activities in Center City:
Kids in Center City Philadelphia

Also, here are a few links to some of the more popular kid sights in Philly:
Please Touch Museum: Homepage
Adventure Aquarium > Home
Philadelphia Zoo - Home
Franklin Square - Park Features | Historic Philadelphia
Smith Kids' Play Place in the Park
Academy of Natural Sciences, Natural History Museum in Philadelphia

There is a smattering of small-ish playgrounds throughout Center City. My favorites are Three Bears Park on beautiful Delancey St betwen 3rd & 4th Sts., and Seger Playground on Lombard between 10th & 11th Sts.

Have fun!
There is a new playground in Franklin Square which is probably the best in center city. The biggest problem with having kids in center city is the general lack of open space. Rittenhouse, Washington Sq, etc are nice, but you can't exactly play ball with your kid there. They're more designed for "strollling' and sitting on benches.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:21 PM

4 posts, read 5,243 times
Thanks again for some more tipps!
While looking on google maps I found the area of Woodland Walk and Locust Walk to be quite nice for having one baby in the stroller and the toddler walking/running along. It looks green and safe (no cars!)/nice buildings). Am I mistaken? Or is it as nice as it looks on the map, and will suit my goal of going out for a short walk with my two little ones. I must say this is the first time I have ever taken part in a forum (in my life)-I have found your answers to be very helpful! Greetings from Austria

Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,701,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikaThe View Post
While looking on google maps I found the area of Woodland Walk and Locust Walk to be quite nice for having one baby in the stroller and the toddler walking/running along. It looks green and safe (no cars!)/nice buildings). Am I mistaken? Or is it as nice as it looks on the map, and will suit my goal of going out for a short walk with my two little ones. I must say this is the first time I have ever taken part in a forum (in my life)-I have found your answers to be very helpful! Greetings from Austria
This area is very safe and is actually part of the University of Pennsylvania

Old 03-06-2012, 01:55 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angus215 View Post
There is a new playground in Franklin Square which is probably the best in center city. The biggest problem with having kids in center city is the general lack of open space. Rittenhouse, Washington Sq, etc are nice, but you can't exactly play ball with your kid there. They're more designed for "strollling' and sitting on benches.
depending on where in cc you live, you may be in walking distance of ball fields. much of the residential section of wash west is close to ballfields in south philly, there are ballfields on the parkway. logan sq is adding a kid friendly space this spring. but if you live in rittenhouse you are probably a long walk from these things, though the new penn park is probably worth walking to if you want to play.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:19 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Quote:
If you get a chance research Kelly drive and Schuylkill Banks. Sounds kind of like what you are looking for. Recreational Trail along the Schuylkill River, one of Philadelphias crowning jewels.

Locust and Woodland Walks are actually main pedestrian thorofares for the Univ of Penn students. Locust Walk is the spine of the university and can get quite crowded in between classes.. But yes it is a very pleasant walk for sure.

Locust Walk

Schuylkill Banks

7-2-2011 the schuylkill banks .MPG - YouTube

Kelly Drive which is connected to Schuylkill Banks.

05-25-2008 kelly drive - YouTube

Old 03-06-2012, 06:30 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,218,011 times
Schuylkill Banks starts in Center City/University City which is about 1 mile long. That connects to Kelly Drive which is about 4 miles long. Kelly Drive connects to Forbidden Drive which is another trail that goes about 7 miles and takes you to Chestnut Hill which is fabulous part of Philadelphia. Forbidden Drive doesnt look anything like sterotypical Philadelphia. It is a very outdoorsy, woodsy, hilly feel about it.

Philadelphia Forbidden Drive Ice Falls and Raptor Pup - YouTube

Old 03-07-2012, 08:23 PM

434 posts, read 1,313,308 times
Quote:
...one baby in the stroller and the toddler walking/running along. It looks green and safe (no cars!)/nice buildings). Am I mistaken? Or is it as nice as it looks on the map, and will suit my goal of going out for a short walk with my two little ones...
Quick mom tip: For getting around with two kids, you'll see a lot of these (or similar) attached to single strollers...
Lascal Ltd | BuggyBoard Maxi - the art of moving forward with two children (http://www.lascal.se/en/products/buggyboard-maxi - broken link)
The little one can sit while the older stands for the ride. I found it to be a lifesaver in the city, allowing for long walks! Then again, my kids never have been prone to "walking/running along" beside me.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,243 times
Again a big Thank You All for more tipps, the idea with this BOARD (where I come from its called a BUGGY BOARD) that is attached to the storller is something I might have to consider. @rainrock: The short films where great to look at, it gives you a totally different perspective rather than just pictures from the web.thanks!
Now we just have to find a nice appartment in University City...Any tipps there where to look? What are serious real estate agencies/newspapers?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia