Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 AM

147 posts, read 353,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
If you are interested in future development. SEPTA will also be extending a few Regional Rail lines, extending the Broad Street line south to service the Navy Yard and re-using some trolley lines. One I know of for sure is the 12th Street Trolley line that runs North/South. I believe there is plans to re-use several more as well. There are also plans to build a light rail line on the Delaware Waterfont that will probably connect to the Blue Line/Market-Frankford Line in some way. The new comprehensive plan for West Park from the city also calls for a light rail to be built that will connect amenities in Fairmount Park west of the Schuylkill River such as The Please Touch Museum and the Zoo with Center City. This is probably a few years off however.

I also heard that if the Reading Viaduct is made into a park in the sky much like the Highline Park in Manhattan, that the section that runs underground will likely be converted into a light rail and will service the Northwest, because an underground park would likely not go over well and could be dangerous... this is purely speculation however.

I wouldn't hold your breath on the 23 trolley. There are places along the route that the tracks need to be ripped up and replaced, one I know of for sure is right at Erie/Broad/Germantown Ave. The tracks have been completely paved over.

Even downtown the trackage need to be replaced, it will take a butt ton of money to get that trolley route up and running again, and I doubt Septa (who are the kings of Bustitiution) will invest in that line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2012, 05:29 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darbarian View Post
I wouldn't hold your breath on the 23 trolley. There are places along the route that the tracks need to be ripped up and replaced, one I know of for sure is right at Erie/Broad/Germantown Ave. The tracks have been completely paved over.

Even downtown the trackage need to be replaced, it will take a butt ton of money to get that trolley route up and running again, and I doubt Septa (who are the kings of Bustitiution) will invest in that line.
Streetcar construction is some of the cheapest in the Transit world , its only 5-15 Million per mile , seeing that only half the tracks need to be completely restored it shouldn't cost Septa all that much. To restore all the Trolley lines like the 6 , 23 , 50 , 53 , 56 , 60 , Waterfront and 103 would cost between 300-500 Million. Of course Septa hates Trolleys even though there cheaper to operate , last longer and hold more sometimes double or triple a bus... I'm sure will see most of the lines that were ripped up restored sometime in my lifetime. I know will see a DC , NOVA and Baltimore network by 2030 , Jersey City and Newark are looking into replacing busy bus lines with streetcars.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:18 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,686,635 times
The Waterfront trolley line will be replaced with a light rail train with multiple cars if they follow the master plan for the waterfront. Much like this

Old 03-21-2012, 12:40 PM

25 posts, read 58,550 times
50% of the time you will arrive home aggravated, from 1. delays, 2. delays, 3. delays, 4. to quote a previous poster, hot sweaty (not the nice kind) bodies oozing over from the next seat, and oh yea, 5. The first car is the quiet ride car, keep your voice to a wisper, cell phones on buzz, no this, no that...SHUT UP AND DO YOUR JOB

Old 04-01-2012, 06:47 AM

148 posts, read 276,852 times
Well... you go down the steps... and present your money to the troll. Troll groans "We don't sell tokens." Then, you ask where the change machine is. Troll groans "We don't have a change machine." You walk up the stairs and 3 blocks away to a Chinese restaurant, and ask for change "You have to buy" says worker. You buy a diet coke with a 5. Then you walk 3 blocks back, and walk down the stairs. You give 2 dollars to troll. Troll gives you dirty look.

Then, you slip and fall in bum urine. You get up, and walk on the train. Balls close shortly afterwards.

Old 04-01-2012, 01:21 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,122,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Well... you go down the steps... and present your money to the troll. Troll groans "We don't sell tokens." Then, you ask where the change machine is. Troll groans "We don't have a change machine." You walk up the stairs and 3 blocks away to a Chinese restaurant, and ask for change "You have to buy" says worker. You buy a diet coke with a 5. Then you walk 3 blocks back, and walk down the stairs. You give 2 dollars to troll. Troll gives you dirty look.

Then, you slip and fall in bum urine. You get up, and walk on the train. Balls close shortly afterwards.
10 years ago maybe. I can't think of any subway stations i've used in the last few years that don't have token machines.

Old 04-01-2012, 03:35 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
If you are interested in future development. SEPTA will also be extending a few Regional Rail lines, extending the Broad Street line south to service the Navy Yard and re-using some trolley lines. One I know of for sure is the 12th Street Trolley line that runs North/South. I believe there is plans to re-use several more as well. There are also plans to build a light rail line on the Delaware Waterfont that will probably connect to the Blue Line/Market-Frankford Line in some way. The new comprehensive plan for West Park from the city also calls for a light rail to be built that will connect amenities in Fairmount Park west of the Schuylkill River such as The Please Touch Museum and the Zoo with Center City. This is probably a few years off however.

I also heard that if the Reading Viaduct is made into a park in the sky much like the Highline Park in Manhattan, that the section that runs underground will likely be converted into a light rail and will service the Northwest, because an underground park would likely not go over well and could be dangerous... this is purely speculation however.
HA! If SEPTA ever had the extra money to do even a fraction of that I guarentee there would be a 2 week strike by the union in the middle of the hottest part of the summer to make sure none of that comes to fruition and instead goes to their lazy butts. Anything left over would be siponed off to various Irish/Italian Mob affiliated contractors, City Councilmen and various paper pusers.

Come on, let's not tease ourselves with pipe dreams. Real life is disappointing enough.

Old 04-01-2012, 10:10 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,016,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post

I am not saying I wouldn't appreciate a modern fare system; but if you have this much difficulty riding the subway than septa is far from your only problem.

I ride the subway frequently. My trips never involve Chinese restaurants or wallowing around in bum urine. For that matter my trips also never involve paying a two dollar fare or directly speaking to a septa employee.

The public transportation in this city could be better and some of Septa's choices are perplexing to say the least. It is despite this one of the best transportation systems in the country though and if you have anywhere near this level of difficulty then you foundering pretty severely.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
How does SEPTA work?
Expensively and inefficiently.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:06 PM

5 posts, read 7,728 times
"How does SEPTA work?"

BAD! You freeze in the Wintertime and Burn up in the Summertime waiting on SEPTA!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia