Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 03:58 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times

Advertisements

Let's face it... every U.S. city has been destroyed by policies that favor the rich and marginalize the working class.

Philadelphia just has that same decay to a greater degree than other major east coast cities.

Compared to Detroit, Philadelphia is heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2012, 06:21 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
big time cool city closest to NYC & DC & every ocean

where are you gonna find that in the world

Old 03-22-2012, 12:58 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Show up to your interview wiping a cheesesteak stain off your tie, and have a Tastykake sticking up out of your shirt pocket.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:49 PM

2,471 posts, read 4,019,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil A. Delphia View Post
Show up to your interview wiping a cheesesteak stain off your tie, and have a Tastykake sticking up out of your shirt pocket.
Ugh. I would not hire someone who can't eat cheesesteak without messing up their clothes.

Old 03-22-2012, 10:00 PM

1,810 posts, read 2,766,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillies2011 View Post
Ugh. I would not hire someone who can't eat cheesesteak without messing up their clothes.
Would you hire someone with a sense of humor?

Old 03-23-2012, 08:57 PM

19 posts, read 54,300 times
Philly-bound - I was just in your situation not too long ago. I too am moving to Philly pretty soon. When I first started using this forum some people were thrashing the hell out of the city. They made it seem like a hell-hole. But when you start talking to the people that actually want to give you advice, it doesn't seem that bad. Personally, after talking to some of the Philadelphians on this site, I cannot wait to move to Philly. I've have also visited and am going this weekend to check out my new school and apartment. I really enjoy Philly. And as for safety...I live near chicago right now and every big city has a crime problem...not just Philly. So avoid the bad areas and have some street smarts. And for places to live...university city and the Clark park area are very nice and charming. I hope the interview goes well and enjoy your time in Philadelphia

Old 03-23-2012, 10:02 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,823,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarp View Post
Let's face it... every U.S. city has been destroyed by policies that favor the rich and marginalize the working class.

Philadelphia just has that same decay to a greater degree than other major east coast cities.

Compared to Detroit, Philadelphia is heaven.
what? Philadelphia was a very wealthy city when the US started implementing policies that stole from the "rich" and gave to the poor. as it turned out, it simply steals from the expensive and gives to the inexpensive, but hey, that gets you elected. Philadelphia is a far more interesting city than DC or Boston and in better shape than baltimore.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:13 AM

60 posts, read 130,292 times
Philadelphia has some very good qualities: several well-known and world-class universities, history that is like nowhere else in the country, excellent shopping and excellent parks. Fairmount Park is beautiful. Having said that, I found that I liked Philadelphia better when I wasn't staying in the city!
Here is why: it is situated between two rivers and is cloudy much of the time. The summers are very, very hot and humid and the Septa system is not as good as other subway systems I have encountered because the stops never seemed within a reasonable walking distance to where I wanted to go (i.e., six blocks or more).
So, I would suggest looking at commutable (40 minutes) Cherry Hill, NJ where there is lots of sun, you have access to all of the great things about Philadelphia without having to deal with the cloudy, humid, non-walkable aspects of the city. You will also be closer to the shoreline.
Best of luck. Oh, and that post about the cheesesteak and the tastykake... that was so funny, I almost spit my coffee out.

Old 03-26-2012, 10:02 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultyM View Post
Philadelphia has some very good qualities: several well-known and world-class universities, history that is like nowhere else in the country, excellent shopping and excellent parks. Fairmount Park is beautiful. Having said that, I found that I liked Philadelphia better when I wasn't staying in the city!
Here is why: it is situated between two rivers and is cloudy much of the time. The summers are very, very hot and humid and the Septa system is not as good as other subway systems I have encountered because the stops never seemed within a reasonable walking distance to where I wanted to go (i.e., six blocks or more).
So, I would suggest looking at commutable (40 minutes) Cherry Hill, NJ where there is lots of sun, you have access to all of the great things about Philadelphia without having to deal with the cloudy, humid, non-walkable aspects of the city. You will also be closer to the shoreline.
Best of luck. Oh, and that post about the cheesesteak and the tastykake... that was so funny, I almost spit my coffee out.

I'm not sure that your argument is relevant to the OP, but either way there are still several things wrong with it.

Philadelphia surely doesn't have an "extensive" subway system. But if one is working in Center City there is a good chance they are within walking distance from either the Market or Broad Street subways. And if one wants to take the subway, you base your life decisions off of that. When you include buses, light rail, and commuter rail it is a very extensive transit system. In addition to that, sure the trains don't stop at every single tourist trap, but it serves the major institutions, universities, business districts, as well as a lot of nice neighborhoods.

Furthermore, I don't really see how if a less-than-extensive subway system is the problem, Cherry Hill is the answer. If you want a better transit system than Philadelphia, your only answers are going to be NYC, Chicago, or going abroad.

The walkability thing makes no sense. Subway system aside, Philadelphia is one of the most walkable cities in the country, period.

Furthermore again, although I've never actually been to Cherry Hill, and my background is not in meteorology, I have trouble figuring out how it could be any less cloudy than Philadelphia.

Old 03-26-2012, 03:59 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FacultyM View Post
Oh, and that post about the cheesesteak and the tastykake... that was so funny, I almost spit my coffee out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FamousBlueRaincoat View Post
Furthermore again, although I've never actually been to Cherry Hill, and my background is not in meteorology, I have trouble figuring out how it could be any less cloudy than Philadelphia.
Actually FBR, your line about Cherry Hill almost made me spit out my wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia