Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:18 PM

46 posts, read 184,662 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

So I'm considering moving to Philly. Been there a few times to visit friends, but don't know a ton about it still. I'd love the following scenarios if they exist in the area:

-possibly a fairly young "creative" type neighborhood, an apt in an old, interesting house? Are there affordable areas like this that aren't way out of the city? (I'm mid-20s, single, a little over the immediate post-college phase but LOVE to have fun, drink on patios, and explore good beer!
-general friendliness toward newcomers...I'm ASSUMING it's relatively easy to meet people (?) I'm pretty outgoing and always push myself to do new activities.
-Is the commute generally horrendous no matter what?
-Escape to open hills and outdoor/nature nearby....doable? Or is there a good "park culture"?
-I'd love to be somewhere that people value interesting, exciting experiences and savoring life. I used to live in DC and it was quite sterile and corporate (sorry no offense meant--- it just wasn't for me!!). I'd love to be in an urban area that also takes time to enjoy life and chill out. Then again...haha I realize I'm looking at a northeastern city here

Thanks a ton you guyssss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 09:28 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Do it!

I think you'd be happy in a number of Philadelphia neighborhoods. Check out East Passyunk or Fishtown. They have a great mix of residents and good neighborhood amenities. They've also been attracting a lot of new, younger residents that bring that "creative" element.

And of course, this is Philadelphia, the city with the most extant 18th century architecture of any US city. You'll definitely be able to find an apartment with character in either of those neighborhoods.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:39 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Man not very picky are you? This should be easy.

You can escape to outdoor life quite easily. First of all, there is Fairmount Park, one of the largest Urban Parks in the world. There is also the Schuykill River Trail. There is the new Penn Park and Wissahickon Park. There are a ton of great parks in the city where you literally do not feel like you're in a city. As for escaping the city, it isn't very big square mileage wise. You can take a train or drive out of the city relatively quickly (within 40 or so minutes) and be at a state park or other large suburban park areas.

Neighborhoods I would recommend

Center City
Old City
Washington Square West
Fitler Square (a little family oriented)

Lower North Philadelphia/ Riverwards
Northern Liberties
Fishtown
Spring Garden/Poplar
Franklintown
Museum Area/ Fairmount (family oriented)

South Philadelphia
Bella Vista
Graduate Hospital/ Southwest Center City/ South of South
Queen Village
Pennsport
Passyunk Square
East Passyunk Crossing (family oriented)

West Philadelphia
University City
Powelton Village
Spruce Hill
Clark Park (a little family oriented)
Squirrel Hill (a little family oriented)
Walnut Hill
Cedar Park

Northwest Philadelphia
Manayunk
East Falls

Hope this helped

Need any pictures/videos or maps? Let me know

University City

University City, Philadelphia - YouTube

Community Video: University City, Philadelphia - YouTube

Philly Neighborhoods: University City (Neighborhood) - YouTube

Old City

Old City Philadelphia - YouTube

Northern Liberties

Community Video: Northern Liberties, PA - YouTube

Old 04-05-2012, 05:36 AM

25 posts, read 43,522 times
You would love Passyunk Square! Coffee shops, restaurants and craft beer. The neighborhood residents are a nice mixture of creative types, young professionals, families and the locals who grew up in the hood. Christopher Columbus Square park is a nice park in the area but if you want a bigger park with trails you may have to ride your bike on over to Fairmount park.

Clark park is also very cool.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:43 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,874 times
Do your research. By the way its ....yous guys. Be safe.

Old 04-05-2012, 10:57 AM

Thanks for the responses everyone! Agh haha rookie mistake not including the "s"... in yous guys.

I will look up Passyunk Square! I also have heard the name Fishtown dropped as a young, interesting neighborhood. Summersm343 - WOAH thank you for such a list and all the videos. I will let you know when I check them out! (hopefully later today)

Yes haha...I am definitely being picky--but at the same time, the more info I give on what I like, the more feedback I'm thinking I'll get. I'll look up some of these suggestions and see what I find...

Old 04-05-2012, 02:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b007 View Post
Thanks for the responses everyone! Agh haha rookie mistake not including the "s"... in yous guys.

I will look up Passyunk Square! I also have heard the name Fishtown dropped as a young, interesting neighborhood. Summersm343 - WOAH thank you for such a list and all the videos. I will let you know when I check them out! (hopefully later today)

Yes haha...I am definitely being picky--but at the same time, the more info I give on what I like, the more feedback I'm thinking I'll get. I'll look up some of these suggestions and see what I find...
Northern Liberties and Fishtown are both right next to each other. Great areas... young crowd for the most part. Check it out. You'll probably love it. Northern Liberties and Fishtown are both old neighborhoods being reborn. Hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 04-05-2012, 02:38 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,105,784 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

So I'm considering moving to Philly. Been there a few times to visit friends, but don't know a ton about it still. I'd love the following scenarios if they exist in the area:

-possibly a fairly young "creative" type neighborhood, an apt in an old, interesting house? Are there affordable areas like this that aren't way out of the city? (I'm mid-20s, single, a little over the immediate post-college phase but LOVE to have fun, drink on patios, and explore good beer!
-general friendliness toward newcomers...I'm ASSUMING it's relatively easy to meet people (?) I'm pretty outgoing and always push myself to do new activities.
-Is the commute generally horrendous no matter what?
-Escape to open hills and outdoor/nature nearby....doable? Or is there a good "park culture"?
-I'd love to be somewhere that people value interesting, exciting experiences and savoring life. I used to live in DC and it was quite sterile and corporate (sorry no offense meant--- it just wasn't for me!!). I'd love to be in an urban area that also takes time to enjoy life and chill out. Then again...haha I realize I'm looking at a northeastern city here

Thanks a ton you guyssss.
Just out of curiosity, what are your plans?

I mean, do you have a job lined up or are you looking to relocate for grad school or something?

I ask because where you work or go to school will greatly affect where you will want to look because yes, commuting across the city can be an ordeal that is best avoided, if possible.

A few more details will help us to better help you.

Also, are you aware of the city wage tax (roughly 5%) that you will have to pay for the "privilege" of living and/or working in the city of Philadelphia as well as the high auto insurance premiums that you will pay if you own a car?

Old 04-05-2012, 07:57 PM

I don't have a job lined up no....I'm beginning to look. I've heard Philly has that horrendous tax, and I'm assuming all the neighborhoods mentioned (young, hip, etc etc) are within the city limits and subject to those taxes...or are there any young neighborhoods slightly outside the city? Ugh. Are there some areas you can live and sanely avoid having a car?

Old 04-05-2012, 08:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
Quote:
I don't have a job lined up no....I'm beginning to look. I've heard Philly has that horrendous tax, and I'm assuming all the neighborhoods mentioned (young, hip, etc etc) are within the city limits and subject to those taxes...or are there any young neighborhoods slightly outside the city? Ugh. Are there some areas you can live and sanely avoid having a car?
the city tax isn't roughly 5%, it's 3.92% (it WAS 5% ten years ago or so). I don't think you'll find taxes here any higher than DC. most of the areas where you'd consider living without a car are in the city itself. you could probably get away without a car pretty easily in ardmore. one of the best parks in the area is wissahickon creek which is between mt airy/germantown and roxborough/manayunk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia