Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 02:20 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prune boy View Post
Most areas of the city is rundown with downtown being partially fixed but has along way to go. It's sure a lot better than a decade ago when no one wanted to go to Philadelphia. There are a lot of crimes in this city, still. You're right about that! My girlfriend lives in Center City, and worries about flash mobs and thugs victimizing people. She's scared to venture out her condo when we go out to eat.
She's scared of that in Center City? There are only a few iffy blocks in Center City, and they're only modestly sketchy at that. Either your gf scares easily or she has a poor conception of where Center City begins and ends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2012, 02:29 PM

130 posts, read 251,930 times
Default The Truth

Yea, but see the fact of the matter is there are gangs of flash mobs who terrorize law abiding folks in Philly. You have a complete clown for Mayor who is anti-conservative principals that might actually clean that place up. But keep electing him lol. Liberalism has done wonders to the point it's one of the most dangerous cities in America but keep the entitlements flowing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prune boy View Post
Most areas of the city is rundown with downtown being partially fixed but has along way to go. It's sure a lot better than a decade ago when no one wanted to go to Philadelphia. There are a lot of crimes in this city, still. You're right about that! My girlfriend lives in Center City, and worries about flash mobs and thugs victimizing people. She's scared to venture out her condo when we go out to eat.

Old 05-27-2012, 02:50 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,117,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post
Yea, but see the fact of the matter is there are gangs of flash mobs who terrorize law abiding folks in Philly. You have a complete clown for Mayor who is anti-conservative principals that might actually clean that place up. But keep electing him lol. Liberalism has done wonders to the point it's one of the most dangerous cities in America but keep the entitlements flowing.
The liberalism argument is stupid. Cities such as Boston, Portland, Seattle, etc are quite liberal and not dangerous. Taken on a state level, Mississippi is arguably the most conservatively run place in the country, and all the indicators point to it being a terrible place.

You need a better argument.

Old 05-28-2012, 05:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,246,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
She's scared of that in Center City? There are only a few iffy blocks in Center City, and they're only modestly sketchy at that. Either your gf scares easily or she has a poor conception of where Center City begins and ends.
Don't know much about Philly but I was there for first time this weekend. Saw a lot of center city. Seemed very clean and safe to me. Some homeless/street personalities were a little pushy and as a native Noo Yowkur and my wife a Noo Yowk resident we were both a little surprised by the lack of police presence. We are used to seeing cops everywhere all the time in nyc. The whole two days we were in philly we saw a cop on a bike and like one police car. But we felt safe.

Old 05-28-2012, 03:18 PM

7,528 posts, read 10,262,211 times
Moved here from Houston about a year and a half go. We find folks here quite friendly - in some ways even more so than when we lived in a city that boasts of "southern hospitality." It may have to do with the fact that we share sidewalks as opposed to sharing freeways. It's harder to be rude to people face-to-face than when you're cutting one another off on the freeway anonymously (News Headlines). Another unexpected experience is that in the small tight confines of charming CC restaurants, we'd had countless interesting conversations with other patrons sitting just a few feet away. Finally, although we've been here just a short time, we've been hosted in the homes of at least half a dozen different folks and been invited out by many others.

Last edited by FindingZen; 05-29-2012 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: portion deleted per member request

Old 05-29-2012, 09:26 AM

2,226 posts, read 3,857,622 times
I was talking to my mom about a similar topic (friendliness of various cities) the other day. I'm living in Miami now, so rude people is a common topic of conversation.

My mom is not technically an outsider, because she was born in Philly, but she spent half her childhood living in Margate, moved back to the Northeast for High School, went to college at Temple for a couple years, before moving to New York and other cities.

Of all the major cities she's lived in: Philadelphia, New York, Boston (in Back Bay), Hartford and Paris, Philly was the only place where the people could be considered friendly. My dad is from a Boston suburb and says New Englanders are generally cold people (he blames the weather). I grew up in one of the Philly suburbs (not the Main Line) and people were never that friendly there. You could pass someone on the street and no one would say hi. We moved to Delaware when I was in high school and it was the complete opposite. Strangers say hi to you. Philly isn't as friendly as Delaware, but I think it's pretty good. I won't say people are all that polite, but they are friendly--especially in more neighborhood-centered areas like South Philly and the Northeast.

Old 05-30-2012, 05:54 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new-era View Post

What gangs of flashmobs? When's the last time any group of teenaged knuckleheads attacked anyone downtown or anywhere else? How many times has it happened?

When's the last time or eve the FIRST time it's happend to YOU? Or your girlfriend?
Also what " ENTITLEMENTS" are you talking about?

Old 06-04-2012, 12:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,366 times
Philadelphia = Amazing food, nightlife, accessability, jobs, and weather.

The locals are extremely rude, ignorant, uncultured, and the sports fans are complete morons. Come for a weekend and have a great time and go back to where you are from. Every person I know in Philly is a transplant from another city. Furthermore, everyone bashes NYC and D.C. but I find it easier to navigate and meet people in these places because they have more of a perspective on the outside world. Philadelphians only know Florida and Jersey and daily I speak to people at my work who have lived here 30+ years and simply wont go to NYC becuase of some inferiority due to sports teams...not impressed.

Old 06-04-2012, 05:54 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyndi03 View Post
Philadelphia = Amazing food, nightlife, accessability, jobs, and weather.

The locals are extremely rude, ignorant, uncultured, and the sports fans are complete morons. Come for a weekend and have a great time and go back to where you are from. Every person I know in Philly is a transplant from another city. Furthermore, everyone bashes NYC and D.C. but I find it easier to navigate and meet people in these places because they have more of a perspective on the outside world. Philadelphians only know Florida and Jersey and daily I speak to people at my work who have lived here 30+ years and simply wont go to NYC becuase of some inferiority due to sports teams...not impressed.
What unsubstantiated horsecrap.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:44 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,898,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
What unsubstantiated horsecrap.
It's " Amazing" isn't it? lol
These first time posters as well as the usual naysayers & bashers seem to spew the same bag of pig slop. According to their stereotyped logic from the "W.C. Fields School Of Truth & Culture", the natives of the city never utilize the library's, universities, the many local museums, art galleries, theaters, concert halls, upscale shopping , fine dining establishments, night clubs, family attractions, even the many religious institutes, etc,etc;.

Nope... These places are only frequented by " The Mysterious People From Out Of Town." Sounds like a 70's B Movie huh? lol

Yep, they got us pegged & on point exactly.. I guess it's all the transplants and people from " Out Of Town" that have kept Philadelphia Internaional afloat all these years. Because the natives only fly to Florida and drive to Jersey so it's the transplants and visitors who are using the international terminal and hundreds of flights elsewhere. SMH

Also, there's at least one million residents that have " Never" been to New York because they don't like their teams.

I have a hunch..., just a hunch that all of those Greyhound & Peter Pan buses leaving and heading to Chinatown are ALL being utilized by.., are you ready for this? " The Mysterious People From Out Of Town!" Just as the Am Trac trains & NJT system, and all the autos heading outta Philly and up the Turnpike and returning to the city via the Lincoln Tunnel with PA plates are by the.., " you know who's."

Funny thing is, just a couple of summers ago many of these CD Philly Naysers argued for about 40 pages that Philly wasn't growing but still declining. After the census stats were released, you'd think they'd shut up but nope, the same posters began to make claims that the new growth was due to " Poor New Yorkers" who could no longer afford to reside there. I'm guessing they're the new blood that's doing all the travel out of PHL and of course that explains who taking all the trips to New York..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia