Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 02:31 PM

208 posts, read 318,313 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Abington Schoold District (one over from Philly), and I could never understand why our schools were so much better than Philly (my step-sister was in Phila dist.). Being a parent now myself and having lived in Montgomery and Bucks counties and then moving to MA, I would have to agree with a previous poster that it's more of a societal, systemic issue. Less parental involvement, higher poverty levels, strong union influence in the city, etc. have all made for poor urban education. And if we take an honest look, just about everything involving Philly govt. was/is corrupt in some way. The guys at the top are getting their pockets lined with no accountability for years. Many Catholic schools have closed because people don't want to shell out the $$ or can't afford to anymore. We have school choice up here in MA, which allows for students to go to other public schools of their choice, but this is public only. Hasn't really helped that much. I have pretty strong opinions about what I think would work, but we personally send our child to a private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 02:32 PM

9,340 posts, read 13,010,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
I guess the point should be that there's a lot of luck-of-the-draw involved with magnet school admissions, and it's not just whether the kid is "bright" or not.
I never said that wasn't the case. I was simply stating the net effect is comparable to that of a good suburban public school.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:42 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
I never said that wasn't the case. I was simply stating the net effect is comparable to that of a good suburban public school.
OK, but some of your previous posts in this thread did read as if you were saying that any reasonably intelligent kid in the Philadelphia School District would have the opportunity to go to a school that's comparable to a good suburban school. I was saying that it's not that simple, and that's not necessarily the case.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Quote:
OK, but some of your previous posts in this thread did read as if you were saying that any reasonably intelligent kid in the Philadelphia School District would have the opportunity to go to a school that's comparable to a good suburban school. I was saying that it's not that simple, and that's not necessarily the case.
Too many reasonably intelligent kids, far too few slots for sure.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:19 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,882,417 times
Quote:
FWIW: I got into ivy league colleges (not that that makes me a genius), but I didn't get into Central.

There ya go

And i just checked Centrals admission requirements. "Both Reading & Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile. If the PSSA is utilized, Reading and Math scores must be submitted in the numerical advanced range. Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report". Don't sound above average to me.. Like I said, Central is only for AP kids. Its not a community public school so its really not an alternative for everyone.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
There ya go

And i just checked Centrals admission requirements. "Both Reading & Math scores must be at or above the 88th percentile. If the PSSA is utilized, Reading and Math scores must be submitted in the numerical advanced range. Applicants must have major subject marks of A or B with the exception of one C on the most recent year-end report". Don't sound above average to me.. Like I said, Central is only for AP kids. Its not a community public school so its really not an alternative for everyone.
AP kids score in the mid-high nineties on those tests. It's definitely not something everyone can do, but like I said before, I know a lot of rather unimpressive people who got in.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:57 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,653,809 times
But it's not just a straightforward function of test scores, grades, and "aptitude" that determine who goes to magnet schools, and which ones they go to. Socioeconomic and ethnic desegregation was the main reason magnet schools came about in the first place, and the student bodies are curated to some degree towards these ends, and there's also a lottery system in play. It's not such a transparent process, but the schools have been successful. I believe the whole thing came under scrutiny recently when the (thankfully) departed superintendent Ackerman wanted to make the whole thing about test scores and quotas. Luckily that failed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia