Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:23 PM

353 posts, read 814,147 times

Advertisements

I don't see how anyone would want to move here or continue to live here esp if they have opportunity to relocate...I,myself have left but had to return do to Philly issues.....and helping my family and not living then all alone stuck in the ghetto.....I do not understand why a super high percentage of philadelphians are so so bitter so mad so wanna be tough and always ready to kiill someone...and how so many people are so beyond stupid to rob people that don't have nothing to give up....its like if you want to rob and kill go to the suburbs.....this city may have pros but i feel it has more cons....what do the cops do? Truly nothing...what do the politicians do? Nothing.... as long as they are safe in their suburban homes with alarm systems,cameras,guns and dogs for safety they don't care about what is really happening to people here...... Moderator Cut

Philly will never change....the people here are truly zombies...the laws here are so pathetic,most youth here does not care if they get charged for murder at 13-16 when they will easily only get 10 yrs in prison and be released by their twenties. And I apologize over the spelling of Disgusted....this was a typo that it will not let me change.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-26-2012 at 03:47 PM.. Reason: These sweeping generalizations are inappropriate/also fixed your title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 01:53 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,651,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outofthematrix View Post
I don't see how anyone would want to move here or continue to live here esp if they have opportunity to relocate...I,myself have left but had to return do to Philly issues.....and helping my family and not living then all alone stuck in the ghetto.....I do not understand why a super high percentage of philadelphians are so so bitter so mad so wanna be tough and always ready to kiill someone...and how so many people are so beyond stupid to rob people that don't have nothing to give up....its like if you want to rob and kill go to the suburbs.....this city may have pros but i feel it has more cons....what do the cops do? Truly nothing...what do the politicians do? Nothing.... as long as they are safe in their suburban homes with alarm systems,cameras,guns and dogs for safety they don't care about what is really happening to people here...... Moderator Cut

Philly will never change....the people here are truly zombies...the laws here are so pathetic,most youth here does not care if they get charged for murder at 13-16 when they will easily only get 10 yrs in prison and be released by their twenties. And I apologize over the spelling of Disgusted....this was a typo that it will not let me change.
Well, I agree that I don't see how anyone would want to move to, or stay in the ghetto.
But do you think that people who are living in the ghetto moved there on purpose? Or stay there because they want to?

One thing is that I do think that it is to the detriment of the city that is is so balkanized, with people really staying in their own areas of the city, and different parts of the city being effectively segregated from each other by class economic and also race factors. I think that's why the city feels so much smaller than it really is, because so much of the city's population really rarely comes together, or has any idea where or how how each other are living. It's like people are living in adjacent villages rather than one city. That's a situation that's far from unique to Philly, though.

Last edited by FindingZen; 06-26-2012 at 03:46 PM.. Reason: updated deleted portion of quote

Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,566,683 times
Quote:

Because they don't have parents and the only role models they have are basketball players, rappers, and the drug dealers down on the corner. You wonder why a kid goes bad, besides some mental issue, go have a look at their parents. 9 times out of 10 you'll find no dad in sight, and mom's got different kids by different guys, is still sleeping around, and isn't paying any attention to her kids, except to yell at them when she gets annoyed.

Old 06-26-2012, 04:52 PM

353 posts, read 814,147 times
Yea I have like 12 of those types of females on my block....

Old 06-26-2012, 06:28 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,116,223 times
You really need to move to a better neighborhood.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:21 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,692,820 times
See the rest of us don't deal with any of this.... ever. I'd suggest moving to a better neighborhood as well.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,124,974 times
Quote:
So disgusted and tired of the murders/shootings/drugs/crimes in philly.
You can always move to Chicago -

Rate of Killings Soars in Chicago - NYTimes.com

but seriously though, if we could replace 25% of the mouthbreathers in this city with people who know that trees need water to survive or know why you shouldn't stuff trash down a storm drain this town would be so much better in nearly every regard.

Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marius Pontmercy View Post
Because they don't have parents and the only role models they have are basketball players, rappers, and the drug dealers down on the corner. You wonder why a kid goes bad, besides some mental issue, go have a look at their parents. 9 times out of 10 you'll find no dad in sight, and mom's got different kids by different guys, is still sleeping around, and isn't paying any attention to her kids, except to yell at them when she gets annoyed.

amen... Thats the root of the problems. Now how can it be changed is the question

Old 06-27-2012, 06:55 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,816,879 times
When cities degrade...and governments except it as normal- that is a problem- It is not normal. Last time I was in Pilly...I was five years old and it was 1955..I have one and only one memory of the place...one little vision that is still clear in my head...I was standing on a nice tree lined side street..and I saw a Cadillac going through the intersection - It was very odd to me as a young Canadian child..There was an old black man driving..as he crossed my line of sight He lifted a huge bottle of wine to his mouth and guzzled ..till he was out of sight. I never saw such a thing...I never saw a black person before- and never saw someone drinking so openly while driving.

I guess the guy I saw was the great grandfather of black Pilly..the founder of all fathers to come who only cared about their Caddy and a good time...classic!

Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 AM

469 posts, read 925,073 times
We can name tons of social reasons why kids and young adults ,are behaving the way they are. My problem is with the justice system.Every time you turn on the news and you read about a violent crime.99% of the time the suspect has a rap sheet a mile long.No more plea bargaining for violent crimes.You want to be a gangster,drug dealer or killer ,then you do the full sentence when you get caught.If you stop letting these clowns plea bargain and keep them in jail,crime will drop.

Now lets get real. Most of the killings are happening in a few areas of the city. It`s not fair but it`s the truth. I`M pretty sure if you turn on the 6:00 news in any major city.The first 10 mins will sound the same. I`M sure every city has there areas to avoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia