Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popnet View Post
1. Was surprised how there was a lack of traffic.
this is, generally, not true but can be, particularly in the heat of summer when much of the area decamps for the shore or the mountains.

Quote:
1. The Pennsylvania turnpike is a rip off. Took the turnpike from King of Prussia where the sign says no ticket or ticket. I figured I don't have ticket to get on so I took the no ticket lane. Tried to get a ticket and nothing came out. I get off the next exit about 5 or 6 miles later and I'm told that I need to pay $27 because I don't have a ticket. I was really starting to like the Philly area and now I hate that place and won't ever return because of that scam!
although I'm a little confused why you were on the turnpike at all when going to the city (you took the wrong exit) one would assume you paid the maximum amount. not a particular fault of Philadelphia
Quote:
2. Man this place is dead. So many places close early and when we were driving at 10 PM it felt like it was 3 AM. It was desserted.
some places, sure.
Quote:
3. Geno's and Pat's steak and cheese sucks. Geno's staff have major attitudes. Only cash?? Even worse, the worst attitudes ever! Every single one of them.
this is true. over the years they're steaks have gotten worse and their prices higher even as the lines have gotten longer.
Metro - Vance Worley loves a good cheesesteak, just not one from Geno's
Quote:
Bottom line, next time I will drive an extra hour or hour and a half and just hit NYC. Forget the cheesesteaks.

To Kidphilly, man philly sucks!! Sorry.
this is just ridiculous, sorry. there are reasons to hate Philly but you hit few of them. I would advise you to visit in the spring or fall though, which are the best times of the year. even nyc is quiet (for ny) in the summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 11:40 AM

1,283 posts, read 2,226,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyViaBoston View Post
I've heard a lot of adjectives describing 76, but I've never heard "scenic." It's probably one of the worst traffic/commuting roads in the Mid-Atlantic region. I'm glad you were able to find some beauty in what most people hate. Well done!
I think the Schuylkill is a pretty scenic . Granted, since I live in the city and don't drive I never have to deal with the frustration of it. When I was a child I was on it more often though when we'd come to the city. You come in from the northwest and see Manayunk up on the hill with all of the church steeples, it looks great. You drive under some pretty elegant railroad bridges. And the way the downtown stays hidden behind the hills until the last minute, and all of a sudden you see the skyline come out of nowhere, the art museum, the river trails. It makes for some pretty iconic scenes for someone who doesn't do it everyday. It makes for some pretty good first impressions of the city compared to the typical driving experience. Always really stuck out to me as a kid anyway, those scenes were always how I thought of Philadelphia for years before I lived here.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
Quote:
Bottom line, next time I will drive an extra hour or hour and a half and just hit NYC. Forget the cheesesteaks.
NYC is a different beast. Tell me how much it cost you once you enter NYC. $27 is nothing.

If you are staying at KOP, why do you need to pay toll to get into Philacelphia CC?

Old 07-07-2012, 02:54 PM

377 posts, read 667,240 times
Quote:
Okay... I'll admit, that I'm not very familiar with the Philly area and I didn't visit every nook and cranny of the area. So with that said, I admit that I'm wrong for labeling the place as not very impressive. However, I did put about 150 miles on my car touring the Philly area in the last two days so I just didn't stop by, and we also did a lot of walking. ........................
Next time I need to use this forum to make a better plan.
I hate Trolls !!!!
Here's your 06/30/2011 post listing Philly as 1 of your 6 Favorite Cities !!
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post19832241
1. NYC
2. Chicago, DC, SF
3. Boston, Philly

Old 07-07-2012, 04:13 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,698,612 times
^^ Lol! What a joke

Old 07-07-2012, 04:40 PM

2,226 posts, read 3,856,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
If you are staying at KOP, why do you need to pay toll to get into Philacelphia CC?
I'm really confused about this, too. I'm trying to figure out where he was coming from. Harrisburg, maybe?

Old 07-07-2012, 04:49 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
I'd pile on but it would be useless. I was in Philly that weekend Turnpike was tied up with construction westbound headed back to Harrisburg but nothing big. I think a poll on who cares would be appropriate

Old 07-07-2012, 05:51 PM

90 posts, read 208,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acenturi View Post
I hate Trolls !!!!
Here's your 06/30/2011 post listing Philly as 1 of your 6 Favorite Cities !!
//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...l#post19832241
1. NYC
2. Chicago, DC, SF
3. Boston, Philly
LOL. Was trying to boost the east coast and relied on what others said about Philly.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgm123 View Post
I'm really confused about this, too. I'm trying to figure out where he was coming from. Harrisburg, maybe?
No. I Was at King of Prussia Mall. I was in the parking lot at the mall trying to get out, and the first exit out of the mall parking lot I saw was the turnpike. I assumed I would exit the mall on a main road where there was an option to get on the turnpike, and never thought it would put me directly on the turnpike from the mall. I had no intentions of getting on the turnpike, I was just trying to get out of the mall parking.

Old 07-07-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sj08054 View Post
NYC is a different beast. Tell me how much it cost you once you enter NYC. $27 is nothing.

I have been on NYC many times and never had to pay $27. Even if I did, NYC is worth every penny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia