Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 07:04 AM

18 posts, read 40,087 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be in town for the weekend, we plan on hitting the baseball game on Sat night (look for me wearing my Cardinals jersey ) but other than that have no real plans.

My wife wants to see the Rocky statue, and I am sure we will get to the Liberty Bell and have a cheesesteak. Are there plenty of things to do in the old part of town, we are basically looking to park and walk to everything else.

Also, what is parking like for the game? Plenty of public options?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2012, 07:23 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,153,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX dude View Post
My wife and I will be in town for the weekend, we plan on hitting the baseball game on Sat night (look for me wearing my Cardinals jersey ) but other than that have no real plans.

My wife wants to see the Rocky statue, and I am sure we will get to the Liberty Bell and have a cheesesteak. Are there plenty of things to do in the old part of town, we are basically looking to park and walk to everything else.
Do those things if you must.

Personally, I think this is far more entertaining than mugging with a statue of a fictional character . . .
Home | Eastern State Penitentiary

and rather than hanging out at Cheesesteak Vegas and adding to the nuisance in the neighborhood you might try . . .
South 9th Street Italian Market - Philadelphia, PA or Reading Terminal Market › Home

Compared to Dallas most of Philadelphia is the "old part of town" and yes, there's plenty to do here. If you're staying in Center City you can check out Walnut/Chestnut Streets, South St., visit the Squares and if you're really into history then a stroll around Old City/Society Hill/Queen Village will probably keep you entertained. There are plenty of guided tours in and around
INDEPENDENCE NATIONAL HISTORIC PARK :: INDEPENDENCE VISITOR CENTER | PHILADELPHIA

Quote:
Also, what is parking like for the game? Plenty of public options?

Thanks!
There's no reason to drive to the game. Take the subway or a taxi. Enjoy our beer (the local kind that our stadium is well known for) and let someone else do the driving on the way back to your hotel.

Old 08-07-2012, 07:57 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,603,976 times
Where are you staying?

Old 08-07-2012, 07:58 AM

Work related hotel in NJ, near Marlton.

I will enjoy the beer and let my wife drive.

Kidding aside, we are kind of stuck with needing the car.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:36 AM

22,378 posts, read 39,055,264 times
Quote:
Work related hotel in NJ, near Marlton.

I will enjoy the beer and let my wife drive.

Kidding aside, we are kind of stuck with needing the car.

So here is my suggestion

There is a parking lot between 15th and 16th on Vine (though you enter the opposite side of Vine). Basically take the Ben Franklin Bridge from Jersey to 676 to the Center City (15th/Broad Street Exit). Parking is 5 dollars all day, a steal in Philly.

Start your day at the Reading Terminal Market. A short walk from the lot. Then venture down to the visitor center (6th and Market) - To the me the best walk (albeit a little longer) would be to take 12th to Walnut and Walnut to 6th and back to Market (this will give you abetter feel for the actual city than will Market Street (an ugly stretch in those parts)

Maybe one of the bus tours as they will drop you off at the Art Museum (the double decker is good from what I hear) If you plan your day and see the Liberty Bell/Independance Hall before the tour I think you can eventually get off in the Rittenhouse area - see below

Later on make your way in the Rittenhouse Sq area (Say Spruce to Chestnut and Broad to 20th) and grab a drink before the game on the Square (maybe like a Parc if you can get an outdoor seat 18th and Locust)

Take the Subway to and from the game (you pick it up at Walnut/Locust and Broad and get 4 tokens as you dont want to have to get tokens after the game in the rush back to the subway)

Take the Subway back to Walnut Locust and take either Walnut or Locust to 16th then back to the lot at 16th and Vine. This would be a nice and safe walk in the evening and you will get a feel for the city a t night

Maybe one of the bus tours as they will drop you off at the Art Museum (the double decker is good from what I hear)

Anyway it is maybe a lot but would give you a decent albeit truncated view on the City

Hope you enjoy

Lastly you could also park and take PATCO into the city and even back as it links with the Borad Street Subway line at Walnut

http://www.ridepatco.org/

Old 08-07-2012, 09:24 AM

2,945 posts, read 4,153,188 times
Yeah, park at Woodcrest Station on 295. Take PATCO to Center City. PATCO parking is free on the weekends. Parking is never free in Center City and the more you move your car the more you pay.

The big bus tour is a good idea. It's a good way to get the quick/quick version of the city then you can go back to check out places that you're especially interested in.

FYI - Market St. between 6th & 12th is pretty dumpy. There's nothing wrong with it but don't judge the rest of the city by it. The action in Center City is generally a block or two off of Market.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I really am looking forward to the weekend. Too bad the wife does not want to go to the Mutter Museum though.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:36 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,803,541 times
There are plenty of parking lots around the stadiums but you may end up walking a mile or more as they fill up. Be early and expect traffic jams. Cost between 10 and 30 dollars. I don't know what the weather will be Saturday but at this time of year it is usually hot and humid with frequent thunder storms and downpours. If your lucky it will be nice but be prepared for anything. On the weekend many locals are away at the beach and the town is overrun by tourists. I always recomend a tour, pick it up behind the Marriott Hotel 12th and market or at at the visiter center 6th and Market. It is pricy but then you will see everything and you can get on and off where ever you want. It covers way more than you can see just walking. Attractions are miles apart.

Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 AM

8,701 posts, read 14,746,753 times
Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions!

I really am looking forward to the weekend. Too bad the wife does not want to go to the Mutter Museum though.
Lol. Take her to the new Barnes Foundation then.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:04 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,803,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Lol. Take her to the new Barnes Foundation then.
If you can get a reservation (probably not) and you appreciate french impressionist art (one of the world's biggest collectiions)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia