Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-27-2012, 10:36 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times

Advertisements

Need some basic info on Allen and Queen Lane SEPTA stations

Hoping for some info from the locals on these two stations. Basically wondering if they are in a relatively safe area (I may be alone with lots of expensive camera gear) and when they are busiest. I'm assuming they are just your typical commuter rail stations, but it always helps to get some local input. I will be photographing them this week.

I may also rent a lift bucket (cherry picker) to photograph them, but I don't know yet if there is a place to set up. I may come up and scout them out in a day or so.

I know I'm being pretty vague, I'm just trying to solicit anything that might help.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 11:39 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,655,069 times
Allens Lane is in a fancier/safer area than Queen Lane, but neither are terribly unsafe.

Old 08-27-2012, 12:27 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,720,684 times
There's been a lot of construction around the Allen's Lane station recently. I've avoided going by there, so I'm not sure if it is still partially closed off.

Old 08-28-2012, 03:33 PM

25 posts, read 97,521 times
Hi kcmo,

As an F.Y.I., here is SEPTA's (commercial) filming and photography guidelines:

SEPTA | Photography & Filming Guidelines

Please be advised that if this is an extensive photo shoot, SEPTA requires the project to be coordinated with the their Media Relations department by calling (215) 580-7482.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:18 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,092 times
The south side of the tracks around the Queen Lane Station is noticeably nicer than the north side but it's not unsafe on either side. It's certainly busiest on the inbound side during the AM rush and on the outbound side during the PM rush - but as the trains only come once an hour off-peak you're bound to see activity whenever a train arrives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
There's been a lot of construction around the Allen's Lane station recently. I've avoided going by there, so I'm not sure if it is still partially closed off.
I was just up there on Friday and didn't notice any construction or detours.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,130,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEPTA_Social_Media View Post
Hi kcmo,

As an F.Y.I., here is SEPTA's (commercial) filming and photography guidelines:

SEPTA | Photography & Filming Guidelines

Please be advised that if this is an extensive photo shoot, SEPTA requires the project to be coordinated with the their Media Relations department by calling (215) 580-7482.

How awesome would it be if the photog was hired by SEPTA for some new print ads then he got harassed by SEPTA PD for not getting the proper approval.

Just set up across the street.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:06 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,900,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
How awesome would it be if the photog was hired by SEPTA for some new print ads then he got harassed by SEPTA PD for not getting the proper approval.

Just set up across the street.
I have found out the hard way that trying to get proper approvals and doing what you are supposed to do, makes things so difficult that it's worth taking a chance and avoiding it all together. You get treated either like a terrorist or like you are making a blockbuster movie jumping through all kinds of hoops and red tape and paying fees to take a few shots. I'm just one guy with a tripod getting architectural shots for engineering companies that SEPTA hired to rebuild the stations.

I will never get why the police/rental cops have to harass people like me and they do it all the time. If I wanted to do harm, I would not show up with a huge SLR camera and tripod and bring attention to myself when I can snap any photo I wanted with a cell phone or other small nondescript camera and nobody would ever know.

Sorry, pet peeve of mine. .

Thanks for all the info though. I'll just have to scout out the locations myself. That's really the only way to get an idea of how to go about getting photos etc. But at least the areas around the stations are not terrible areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia