Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 10:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,315 times

Advertisements

Hello all. We are relocating to PA from the west coast in the next six months and I am looking for suggestions for places to live. My husband will be commuting to several offices in a wide geographic area (Center City, Huntingdon Valley, Stroudsburg) so we need something that's relatively central and close to the major expressways. Since he will also be going into Center City a couple of times a week (and possibly some weekends now and then), being able to take the train those days would be great. While we've spent time in Philadelphia, we aren't very familiar with its suburbs. I have heard that the Wissahickon school district is good, so I'm thinking of focusing the housing search on Blue Bell/Lower Gwynedd/Ambler/Plymouth Meeting. What is like to live in that area? What is the housing market like out there?

Any other places we should consider? We have young kids and like to be active and outdoors. We're also asian so we'd like to live somewhere with a little diversity (just don't want my kids to be the only asians in the school).

...and lastly, I'm looking for a realtor. Please direct message me if you have any recommendations. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 11:20 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
All but a handful of the suburban school districts are good to excellent. The communities you mentioned all are appropriate for you although Abington, which is larger and more diverse (including Asians) than the others might be ideal because of it's location and frequent train service (two lines) to the city. It is closer to Huntington Valley as well as the PA Turnpike for trips to Stroudsburg.

Old 11-24-2012, 01:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
Where is the home base for his job. If it is in Philly you will be paying a 4% city wage tax. If its not in the city I would highly recommend not living in the city (you will save 4% city wage tax) + the schools in the city are not as good as the burbs. We work in education in and out of the city so we can tell ya what schools are the best... Good luck

Old 11-25-2012, 09:11 AM

9,348 posts, read 13,014,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
All but a handful of the suburban school districts are good to excellent. The communities you mentioned all are appropriate for you although Abington, which is larger and more diverse (including Asians) than the others might be ideal because of it's location and frequent train service (two lines) to the city. It is closer to Huntington Valley as well as the PA Turnpike for trips to Stroudsburg.
Abington is actually significantly less Asian than Wissahickon, Upper Dublin, and Lower Moreland. Although Asians are certainly not non-existent, you're looking at 3-5% versus 7-10%. Of these districts, Wissahickon (followed closely by Upper Dublin) is the most racially diverse overall, but Abington has the widest socioeconomic variety (along with more people of color--it's simply skewed more black and Asian).

I'd personally recommend either Abington or Upper Dublin. Both are relatively convenient to both train stations and the Turnpike, and for someone who's only going into Center City a couple times a week, the somewhat longer commute won't take too much of a toll. The chief differences between the two are that Upper Dublin is wealthier and is very auto-centric and cookie-cutter (though certainly not entirely soulless). Abington is more or less split between that and charming, historic village centers surrounded by older/more custom construction.

Also, what's your budget?

Old 11-25-2012, 11:44 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,941,037 times
Blue Bell/North Wales/Montgomeryville are somewhat centrally located for that/those commutes. Mostly suburban in make up but have a pretty large asian community (specifically Korean in this area)

This may be helpful link on some demographics

The 2010 Census | Philly

Old 11-25-2012, 02:24 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavenWood View Post
Abington is actually significantly less Asian than Wissahickon, Upper Dublin, and Lower Moreland. Although Asians are certainly not non-existent, you're looking at 3-5% versus 7-10%. Of these districts, Wissahickon (followed closely by Upper Dublin) is the most racially diverse overall, but Abington has the widest socioeconomic variety (along with more people of color--it's simply skewed more black and Asian).
Did you mean skewed more black THAN Asian??

Quote:
I'd personally recommend either Abington or Upper Dublin. Both are relatively convenient to both train stations and the Turnpike, and for someone who's only going into Center City a couple times a week, the somewhat longer commute won't take too much of a toll. The chief differences between the two are that Upper Dublin is wealthier and is very auto-centric and cookie-cutter (though certainly not entirely soulless). Abington is more or less split between that and charming, historic village centers surrounded by older/more custom construction.
What exactly is Upper Dublin? Is it an actual town to the east Ambler, or an area that includes Ambler, Blue Bell, etc? There seems to be a train station in Ambler.

Quote:
Also, what's your budget?
What do you think would be a reasonable budget to live in Ambler, North Wales, Montgomeryville, Lansdale areas that are popular with Asians?

Old 11-25-2012, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromGA View Post
Did you mean skewed more black THAN Asian??
Yes, that's what I meant. Apologies for the clerical error.

Quote:
What exactly is Upper Dublin? Is it an actual town to the east Ambler, or an area that includes Ambler, Blue Bell, etc? There seems to be a train station in Ambler.
It's a township East of the Ambler borough, but includes significant parts of the Ambler zip code, along with Dresher, Fort Washington, Glenside, and slivers of Willow Grove and Abington (among others).

Quote:
What do you think would be a reasonable budget to live in Ambler, North Wales, Montgomeryville, Lansdale areas that are popular with Asians?
That depends on what you're looking for. If you're after a newer-construction, ~4-bedroom, ~2.5 bathroom single-family home with a yard, you'll be looking at ~$450k on up, depending on the area. If you're satisfied with an older, similar-sized colonial that may need minor to moderate updating, subtract up to $100k. More modest (but possibly big enough) ranches and splits can sometimes be had below $300k.

Old 11-25-2012, 02:57 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,129,361 times
Quote:
Ambler is a borough
Ambler, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upper Dublin is the township that surrounds Ambler on 3 sides
Upper Dublin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A borough is a municipality that, in PA and NJ is almost always an old town that used to be a part of the larger townships that surround them. Almost all of them used to have an active train station. Many of them still do. At the turn of the last century issues of public infrastructure (electricity, water, sewer, roads, etc) and who should pay for it started to create friction between the people living in these towns and the surrounding farming communities . . . so the towns broke away, formed their own local gov't and modernized. Over the last 60 years many of the farming townships that surrounded these boroughs have been built out with subdivisions so now many of these boroughs are just anachronistic islands of charm in a sea of sprawl.

Ambler used to be part of Upper Dublin but broke away in 1888. Smaller villages like Ft. Washington and Oreland didn't break away (probably because they didn't have enough votes) and remain part of Upper Dublin Township to this day - even though they have their own zip codes.

Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM

1,362 posts, read 4,318,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
Ambler is a borough
Ambler, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Upper Dublin is the township that surrounds Ambler on 3 sides
Upper Dublin Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A borough is a municipality that, in PA and NJ is almost always an old town that used to be a part of the larger townships that surround them. Almost all of them used to have an active train station. Many of them still do. At the turn of the last century issues of public infrastructure (electricity, water, sewer, roads, etc) and who should pay for it started to create friction between the people living in these towns and the surrounding farming communities . . . so the towns broke away, formed their own local gov't and modernized. Over the last 60 years many of the farming townships that surrounded these boroughs have been built out with subdivisions so now many of these boroughs are just anachronistic islands of charm in a sea of sprawl.

Ambler used to be part of Upper Dublin but broke away in 1888. Smaller villages like Ft. Washington and Oreland didn't break away (probably because they didn't have enough votes) and remain part of Upper Dublin Township to this day - even though they have their own zip codes.
Thanks a LOT for the clarification. I meant to ask a question about the meaning of Upper Gwynedd, Lower Gwynedd, Wissahickon, etc which all seem to converge! Now that I know the difference between borough and township, I am sure I can even kind of understand the difference between Montgomeryville and Montgomery township!

(edit/add: In Georgia, there is a concept of city and unincorporated parts of a county. And all of this is further complicated by use of zipcodes and post office city names. So looks like each region have their unique terms...)

Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Thanks a LOT for the clarification. I meant to ask a question about the meaning of Upper Gwynedd, Lower Gwynedd, Wissahickon, etc which all seem to converge! Now that I know the difference between borough and township, I am sure I can even kind of understand the difference between Montgomeryville and Montgomery township!

(edit/add: In Georgia, there is a concept of city and unincorporated parts of a county. And all of this is further complicated by use of zipcodes and post office city names. So looks like each region have their unique terms...)
Every square inch of Pennsylvania is incorporated in some form of another. Coming from a part of the country where County Government often rules the day, I can understand why all this would be daunting for a prospective newcomer. Heck, a lot of lifetime natives don't fully get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia