Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2021, 12:27 PM

13 posts, read 24,499 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife (31f) and I (32m) are considering where to move in the Philadelphia suburbs and were open to suggestions/thoughts. We have no kids but would consider having them in the next few years. I will be working from an office in Bala Cynwyd most days right on City Ave and she would be working remotely most of time with occasional trips (~once every week or 2) to schools in Newark, NJ and Camden, NJ.

What we would look for are proximity to the office and easy enough access to the city for nights/weekends out, decent schools, a lively neighborhood (walkable downtown is a plus) with things to do, and some access to nature/parks (running trails/track another plus).

Some other info:

- We would be looking to purchase an up-to-date single family home likely 3 bed 2 bath or more.
- We would be moving from a condo in Jersey City, NJ
- Combined income is around $375K
- We would be comfortable spending about $700K on a home with our current savings (this has some flexibility)

Would be great to hear any thoughts/suggestions on places that might fit the bill. Not everything here is a must-have but a general idea of what we would be interested in.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2021, 01:30 PM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetd4wg View Post
Hi all,

My wife (31f) and I (32m) are considering where to move in the Philadelphia suburbs and were open to suggestions/thoughts. We have no kids but would consider having them in the next few years. I will be working from an office in Bala Cynwyd most days right on City Ave and she would be working remotely most of time with occasional trips (~once every week or 2) to schools in Newark, NJ and Camden, NJ.

What we would look for are proximity to the office and easy enough access to the city for nights/weekends out, decent schools, a lively neighborhood (walkable downtown is a plus) with things to do, and some access to nature/parks (running trails/track another plus).

Some other info:

- We would be looking to purchase an up-to-date single family home likely 3 bed 2 bath or more.
- We would be comfortable spending about $700K on a home with our current savings (this has some flexibility)

Would be great to hear any thoughts/suggestions on places that might fit the bill. Not everything here is a must-have but a general idea of what we would be interested in.

Thanks in advance
Either Narberth or the part of Ardmore in Lower Merion Township would fit the bill. Depending on your definition of “up-to-date,” you may need to spend somewhat (but not a whole lot) more, but with a combined income just under $400k, that shouldn’t be difficult. If you’re willing to brave a further drive to Bala Cynwyd, you may like Media (the Borough proper), where you can get a little bit more bang for your buck. I do, however, agree with your (seeming) priority of buying the house you need, as opposed to the house you can theoretically afford.

Downtown Wayne in Radnor Township is another option that’s further to Bala Cynwyd than Ardmore (or especially Narberth) but closer than Media. Prices per square foot will be more in line with (and perhaps a smidge higher than) Lower Merion and Narberth.

The only suburban area on the other side of the Schuylkill that I might recommend, based on proximity to Bala Cynwyd, is the dense and walkable part of Wyndmoor close to Chestnut Hill (i.e., “Old Wyndmoor”). The downtown isn’t quite lively, but there are some things going on and it’s rapidly revitalizing. You’re also within a 20 minute walk of Chestnut Hill, which has a lovely downtown area. Homes in this sub-neighborhood are not cheap, but they’re somewhat more affordable than the Main Line, and Bala Cynwyd is within 25 minutes. Public schools are less acclaimed and are very middling on paper, but it’s a district that’s small, without being too small (which some find as a plus), and it certainly has sufficient resources to give a bright, motivated student the tools they need to succeed in high school and beyond.

Old 08-20-2021, 02:33 PM

Thanks for all that information, it's very helpful. We will look into those areas for sure. By up-to-date I don't mean new construction, but renovated in the last 10 years or so, have central HVAC, and not require much work would be great. Spending a little above that should be ok, and you're right about the priority that location/neighborhood is more important and we're not looking to live in a gigantic house that requires a lot of maintenance but rather what fits our needs.

Old 08-20-2021, 03:09 PM

1,398 posts, read 918,134 times
Quote:
Hi all,

Some other info:

Thanks in advance
Narberth.

Old 08-21-2021, 04:48 PM

1,170 posts, read 593,238 times
Yeah, Narberth seems like a slam dunk. I can't say from experience but even a commute to Camden probably isn't bad if you leave before 7 or so, just sail through 76 and 676.

Old 08-22-2021, 06:03 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
I'd third Narberth, which feels like you passed through a time warp and landed in the 1950s. It has all the stuff small-town downtowns had back then: a small supermarket, a single-screen movie theater, basic everyday services, stuff like that. And it also has a fancy cheese shop, a sushi place, and some nice boutiques. It's sort of Main Street and the Main Line rolled into one.

But Ardmore, the biggest of the Main Line downtowns and the seat of the Lower Merion Township government, is "the Main Street of the Main Line." You won't find the small supermarket — it's a short drive to ones more like what suburbanites are used to these days, including a Whole Foods in adjacent Wynnewood — or the single-screen movie theater (it's in Bryn Mawr), but you will find more restaurants, the only Japanese-owned grocery store in the Philadelphia area (of course, it's a Japanese food emporium), a highly regarded craft brewery and an outpost of a popular chain of brewpubs hereabouts, even more restaurants, shops and boutiques, and a live-music venue, the Ardmore Music Hall. Suburban Square, across the railroad tracks from Lancaster Avenue, is one of the nation's oldest shopping centers and much more pleasant than any mall.

It's also home to the Main Line's oldest and largest Black community, which is found on the south side of Lancaster Avenue, in the part of Ardmore that straddles the Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County/Haverford Township, Delaware County line. BTW, ElijahAstin, what's wrong with that part of Ardmore? It's not like the schools in Haverford Township stink or anything like that.

Old 08-22-2021, 08:12 AM

9,352 posts, read 13,019,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
BTW, ElijahAstin, what's wrong with that part of Ardmore? It's not like the schools in Haverford Township stink or anything like that.
Nothing at all. But once you’re below County Line Road, you’re fairly far removed from Ardmore’s central business district.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweb66 View Post
Yeah, Narberth seems like a slam dunk. I can't say from experience but even a commute to Camden probably isn't bad if you leave before 7 or so, just sail through 76 and 676.
Great to know, appreciate the info. She may have to go to Camden a few times a month so that's good to know that it wouldn't be the worst trip.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I'd third Narberth, which feels like you passed through a time warp and landed in the 1950s. It has all the stuff small-town downtowns had back then: a small supermarket, a single-screen movie theater, basic everyday services, stuff like that. And it also has a fancy cheese shop, a sushi place, and some nice boutiques. It's sort of Main Street and the Main Line rolled into one.

But Ardmore, the biggest of the Main Line downtowns and the seat of the Lower Merion Township government, is "the Main Street of the Main Line." You won't find the small supermarket — it's a short drive to ones more like what suburbanites are used to these days, including a Whole Foods in adjacent Wynnewood — or the single-screen movie theater (it's in Bryn Mawr), but you will find more restaurants, the only Japanese-owned grocery store in the Philadelphia area (of course, it's a Japanese food emporium), a highly regarded craft brewery and an outpost of a popular chain of brewpubs hereabouts, even more restaurants, shops and boutiques, and a live-music venue, the Ardmore Music Hall. Suburban Square, across the railroad tracks from Lancaster Avenue, is one of the nation's oldest shopping centers and much more pleasant than any mall.

It's also home to the Main Line's oldest and largest Black community, which is found on the south side of Lancaster Avenue, in the part of Ardmore that straddles the Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County/Haverford Township, Delaware County line. BTW, ElijahAstin, what's wrong with that part of Ardmore? It's not like the schools in Haverford Township stink or anything like that.
Seems like there's a lot of votes in favor of Narberth, so we'll likely look at that closely along with Ardmore as another good choice. The only thing with Narberth is that it seems small so might not be as many options, but it seemingly fits our needs really well. As a plus it looks like those are on septa bus line 44 which I'm familiar with and goes to university city and center city which would be a good way to get into the city whenever we need. I assume that would be easier than driving into the city? Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, this is really very helpful

Old 08-23-2021, 05:16 AM

14,192 posts, read 9,089,745 times
Quote:
Seems like there's a lot of votes in favor of Narberth, so we'll likely look at that closely along with Ardmore as another good choice. The only thing with Narberth is that it seems small so might not be as many options, but it seemingly fits our needs really well. As a plus it looks like those are on septa bus line 44 which I'm familiar with and goes to university city and center city which would be a good way to get into the city whenever we need. I assume that would be easier than driving into the city? Thanks for all the suggestions thus far, this is really very helpful
There's also a Regional Rail station right in the middle of the downtown, which offers you a quicker commute into the city — and one that's less enervating than driving at peak hour.

To get to Camden, depending on where your wife needs to go, there are two options:
  1. Take the (R5) Paoli-Thorndale line in to Jefferson Station, exit to Market Street, and catch whichever New Jersey Transit bus route you need to catch to reach your South Jersey destination or take the Route 44 bus into the city (remember, it runs via the Schuylkill between City Ave and 30th Street Station), get off at one of the stops on Market between 6th and Broad streets, cross the street and catch the NJT bus you want
  2. Take the train to Jefferson Station, walk through the Fashion District concourse level to 8th and Market subway station, and catch the PATCO Lindenwold Line to the stop you want or take the bus to 8th and Market and transfer to the PATCO subway there. If her work is located in downtown Camden or at Cooper University Hospital, this is the better choice; she can also transfer to the River Line light rail at Walter Rand Transportation Center, which sits atop Broadway subway station. PATCO has three stations in Camden: two downtown (City Hall and Broadway) and one in an east-side neighborhood (Ferry Avenue, near Our Lady of Lourdes Hospital).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia