Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM

57 posts, read 89,418 times

Advertisements

Moving from the DC area to Philly.. can I have some insight as to what areas of South Philly are nice/affordable/with easy access to South Jersey areas like Marlton?

I was under the impression that south philly was not so safe, but have a friend living just on broad street near passyunk ave and she loves it. Just wanted to get others opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 11:37 AM

932 posts, read 1,945,749 times
Glad to see you made it back from Lindenwold alive.

South Philly has its good areas and its bad areas. South Broad and Passyunk are both nice and tend to have tourists around. If you live in South Philly, you're pretty much going to be in a rowhome or a walk up. Is that a problem for you? I don't know of many (any?) detached homes there.

The main problem here, is you aren't going to be working in Philadelphia, and as much as I like to encourage everyone to move to The City That Loves You Back, the fact is if you live in the city, you'll have to pay the city wage tax, which is just a hair under 4%, last I checked. You can avoid that tax altogether by living in Jersey.

That said, if you don't mind paying the tax and want to be in the thick of it, South Philly has some nice areas. As a general rule of thumb, I'd stay on the eastern side of Broad Street because that's what I know. The area around Oregon Avenue is probably my favorite part of South Philly, it just reminds me of my childhood. Lots of Italian families looking out for their neighbors, you'll get families that own entire blocks with just aunts uncles, cousins, bothers, sisters. I really like that atmosphere. And there are not a lot of Jersey Shore types either, before you ask.

Last edited by BTA88; 12-29-2012 at 11:50 AM..

Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM

1,567 posts, read 3,118,028 times
Big parts of South Philly are very safe and nice places to live. I lived near 10th and Dickinson about 7 years ago and liked the area. The neighbors were friendly and crime wasn't really an issue. Litter was a problem, though.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
Keep in mind living in Philly you are gonna pay a 4% city wage tax on top of the normal property tax(which is not that bad) which you will not pay in NJ. Depending on how much you are going to make it could be nothig to worry about or quite a bit

Old 12-29-2012, 02:52 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,783,010 times
Most of South Philly is "safe" (I hate that word, to me unsafe means subject to earthquakes or toronados, but yeh I know what you mean) except for a few pockets and you will see right away that those areas will be shabby and run down, maybe even with an abandoned building or two. The thing about South Philly is that it can be claustraphobic for some people. Except for around the edges it is very dense and crowded with two story row houses packed in on top of each other on narrow streets clogged with cars. Trees and grass are in short supply.

Last edited by bryson662001; 12-29-2012 at 03:01 PM..

Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM

11,998 posts, read 12,940,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Except for around the edges it is very dense and crowded with two story row houses packed in on top of each other on narrow streets clogged with cars. Trees and grass are in short supply.
I LOVE South Philly, one of my favorite parts of the city...but you ain't lyin

“It’s a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood" | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM

8,700 posts, read 14,703,262 times
South Philadelphia is a diverse area, and almost entirely rowhomes. There are some apartment complexes, but they are lowrises. What is your budget? Do you mind living in a lowrise?

There are plenty of great areas in South Philadelphia, and most of it is safe.

Just need some more information because South Philadelphia can get pretty expensive. Also, do you prefer being near public transit? Around a lot of bars and restaurants?

Old 12-30-2012, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTA88 View Post
Glad to see you made it back from Lindenwold alive.

South Philly has its good areas and its bad areas. South Broad and Passyunk are both nice and tend to have tourists around. If you live in South Philly, you're pretty much going to be in a rowhome or a walk up. Is that a problem for you? I don't know of many (any?) detached homes there.

The main problem here, is you aren't going to be working in Philadelphia, and as much as I like to encourage everyone to move to The City That Loves You Back, the fact is if you live in the city, you'll have to pay the city wage tax, which is just a hair under 4%, last I checked. You can avoid that tax altogether by living in Jersey.

That said, if you don't mind paying the tax and want to be in the thick of it, South Philly has some nice areas. As a general rule of thumb, I'd stay on the eastern side of Broad Street because that's what I know. The area around Oregon Avenue is probably my favorite part of South Philly, it just reminds me of my childhood. Lots of Italian families looking out for their neighbors, you'll get families that own entire blocks with just aunts uncles, cousins, bothers, sisters. I really like that atmosphere. And there are not a lot of Jersey Shore types either, before you ask.
Is Lindenwold THAT bad!? lol .. my cousin swears her and her hubby and kids love it there lol .. anyway .. yes, I have the wage tax in the back of my head. I am just trying to decide if its worth it for me. I'd say if i can score a good deal on a rental then maybe I wouldnt mind so much, and yeah I am ok with a row home/walk up. My friend lives there in a row home, above a store and the place is HUGE. These areas that you mention.. would I be taking the Walt Whitman to NJ for work? If so, or even if not, would I be looking at a crazy commute to work in NJ?
Definitely nice to hear that there are no Jersey Shore types, and I too love the family atmosphere. Also what is the best way to find apts here, other than craigslist? I am a bit hesitant using craigslist.. more than half of the listings look fake

Old 12-30-2012, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
South Philadelphia is a diverse area, and almost entirely rowhomes. There are some apartment complexes, but they are lowrises. What is your budget? Do you mind living in a lowrise?

There are plenty of great areas in South Philadelphia, and most of it is safe.

Just need some more information because South Philadelphia can get pretty expensive. Also, do you prefer being near public transit? Around a lot of bars and restaurants?
I have never been in a rowhome, I imagine the 2nd floor/1st floor whatever floor of a rowhome is the same as my 2nd floor apt? Is there a huge difference between a row home and a standard 2nd floor apt? I have always lived in apt complexes, and once in a highrise.. so please fill me in

I'd like to stay under 1100/month, and will be commuting to Marlton, NJ. The only area of South Philly I am familiar with is near the intersection of Broad and Passyunk Ave, other than that .. I have no idea what I should be looking for there.

I would like to be near public transit, but I will have a car as well. I am not a huge bar person but I do like to have a drink here and there and yes to restaurants. A good social scene would be nice, I dont need to be RIGHT in the mix of it, but close to would be preferable. Hope this is the info you were looking for, thanks!

Old 12-30-2012, 09:31 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,884,648 times
also be aware in a rowhome you can hear your neighbors.. Sometimes really well, sometimes not. Depends on the age and construction of the home. You may be able to hear their conservation like they were in your home. That's the way our old 1950 NE Philly row home was.

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...y-rowhome.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia